ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GETTING MARRIED ABROAD

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nuranda07
Newly Registered

GETTING MARRIED ABROAD

Post by nuranda07 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi Victoria

If I had to go to Jamacia and marry my boyfriend, how long would it take for me to apply for him to come to the UK as my husband? (bearing in mind that I have only known him for just over two weeks)!!.

Thanks

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:52 pm

I would say that if you applied after two weeks to bring him to the UK it would certainly be refused, so he wouldn't be here for over a year (if at all).

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

nuranda07
Newly Registered

Post by nuranda07 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:05 pm

I was really planning on marrying him and then waiting for at least a year before applying for him to come over here to be with me.
Would this be possible?.

Thanks

frances2

Post by frances2 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi Nuranda

I would concur with Vicotoria that to apply for a settlement visa after only being together for 2 weeks would be denied, as the ECO would doubt the validity of the relationship.

I think the timing of the marriage is not the key issue, but you need to show evidence of a relationship, and this is going to mean you going to Jamaica numerous times, plus phone records, emails etc etc.

Embarking on a settlement visa application is an arduous, expensive, time consuming prospect, it is not easy, especially from Jamaica.

To commit to marry someone, after only 2 weeks is an enormous risk. Spend some time with him and make sure he is not just after a UK visa. Jamaica is renouned for romance being fueled by the prospect of a better life.

Good luck