ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application in a different passport office

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ikalee31
Newly Registered

Passport application in a different passport office

Post by ikalee31 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi all.
Situation is as follows: the HM PO in Midlands where i have applied for my BP, in particular, the case worker who deals with it, keeps on asking me for more paperwork explaining some details regarding patronymic name (father's name). By default all Russian citizens have in their passports name, surname and a father's name(which does not get translated for international passports and remains in it in its Cyrillic form). I know for sure a lot of Russian citizens who got their British passports and had no issue with this patronymic name being there. But me. After multiple correspondence and phone calls between me, HM PO, Russian Embassy etc it's still not clear what to do. And I came across suggestion today that i need to try and withdraw my passport application from Peterborough office and try and apply through a different branch. Has any one got any information on whether this is possible and if yes what is the process? If it is possible and i can apply through, say, London or any other branch, would there be a note on file that i withdrew the app due to this and that reasons???? Please help as this is now getting ridiculous and looks like the case worker just would't give up on me... :((( Many thanks in advance.

noajthan

Re: Passport application in a different passport office

Post by noajthan » Tue May 24, 2016 9:10 pm

To see what's possible and how to handle your name see:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... f-name.pdf
- see page 12+
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ikalee31
Newly Registered

Post by ikalee31 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi there, still no information regarding patronymic name i'm afraid. But the question remains the same as per my first post. Cheers.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue May 24, 2016 9:27 pm

ikalee31 wrote:Hi there, still no information regarding patronymic name i'm afraid. But the question remains the same as per my first post. Cheers.
Annex A covers customary names; official explanation on the practice expected to be provided by the appropriate embassy.
That's probably what's going on.

And if you have a current passport in a name that is perceived to be different from the name you have been (or are going to be) naturalised in then you are in for the long haul.

ikalee31
Newly Registered

Post by ikalee31 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:41 pm

See what you mean. The fact is my names in current passport and naturalization certificate are exactly the same. There is a writing in Cyrillic in my current passport which is my father's name. In any other case no one would pay attention to it. But my caseworker did. I've already confirmed i've been using just my name and surname in everything throughout living in the UK. but alas! Changing current passport is not an option as for that i would need to change my internal Russian passport first which is not desirable as this would create loads of problems for me back in my native country as patronymic name HAS TO BE there. The official letter from Russian Embassy does not seem to make him happy. Can i apply through a different HM PO branch?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue May 24, 2016 10:13 pm

ikalee31 wrote:See what you mean. The fact is my names in current passport and naturalization certificate are exactly the same. There is a writing in Cyrillic in my current passport which is my father's name. In any other case no one would pay attention to it. But my caseworker did. I've already confirmed i've been using just my name and surname in everything throughout living in the UK. but alas! Changing current passport is not an option as for that i would need to change my internal Russian passport first which is not desirable as this would create loads of problems for me back in my native country as patronymic name HAS TO BE there. The official letter from Russian Embassy does not seem to make him happy. Can i apply through a different HM PO branch?
Is this a first time British passport?
I can't understand how you apply directly to an office - it was all done by mail for my wife (with no choice of office).

ikalee31
Newly Registered

Post by ikalee31 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:40 pm

Yes, it's the first British passport. And I don't know whether it's possible to indicate that I want my application to be sent somewhere else, not Peterborough...