ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling with Indian passport + ILR after naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tknayak

Travelling with Indian passport + ILR after naturalisation

Post by tknayak » Wed May 25, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi,

I have my citizenship ceremony tomorrow, and I will get my citizenship certificate. I did apply for British passport alongwith citizenship application. Therefore I will receive my British passport in approximately 10 days time.

I have to travel to India on urgent basis coming weekend (29th May) to be back in UK on 5th June. Can I travel using my India passport and ILR visa. I have written to VFS and they have confirmed that I can use the Indian passport to enter India without incurring a fine till 90 days of acquiring citizenship. Hence there is no problem in entering India.

But will it be a problem at Heathrow on my return? Are the immigration people so strict about this? I can travel with my citizenship certificate and the receipt of the passport application. Has anyone travelled like this?

(Someone told me to apply for a Right of Abode certificate, which takes six months to obtain.)

Thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travelling with Indian passport + ILR after naturalisati

Post by CR001 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:23 pm

What about the new requirement to return your BRP within 5 days of your ceremony?

Naturalisation certificate is not a travel document.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tknayak

Post by tknayak » Wed May 25, 2016 8:30 pm

CR001 wrote:What about the new requirement to return your BRP within 5 days of your ceremony?

Naturalisation certificate is not a travel document.
I do not have a BRP card since I got my ILR in Feb 2012. I have my ILR visa stamped in the passport only.

I am aware that the naturalisation certificate is not a travel document. I just want to know whether there will be any problem for me or if anyone can point me to the rules regarding this.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 25, 2016 8:38 pm

Your ILR is effectively cancelled once you become BC. But since you have ILR in your passport, you should be ok to return. Carry your naturalisation certificate with you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tknayak

Post by tknayak » Wed May 25, 2016 8:44 pm

CR001 wrote:Your ILR is effectively cancelled once you become BC. But since you have ILR in your passport, you should be ok to return. Carry your naturalisation certificate with you.
Yes, this is what I am thinking. I consulted someone in the home office. He said although the ILR is logically cancelled on the same day as the ceremony, it takes few days to go to the system. If it is already in the system it will flag to the immigration officer when he scans my passport. He might then ask for the details. In this case the citizenship certificate can be used by him to check in their citizen database. But as per him it should not be a problem; worst case, it may take a while for him to verify.

Thanks for your reply

tknayak

Post by tknayak » Thu May 26, 2016 8:39 pm

An update

I have called Home Office UK Visas and Immigration.

They told me specifically that you can travel abroad and return to UK with your Indian passport and ILR visa, provided your ILR visa is stamped in the Indian passport and you do not have BRP card.

I have recorded the conversation with her permission.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:11 pm

Lucky for you then that you have ILR in your passport and not a BRP card :D
Char (CR001 not Casa)