ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will "Long Residence" break?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cg012
Newly Registered

Will "Long Residence" break?

Post by cg012 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:14 am

Hi everyone,

I am confused about some rulings regarding "Long Residence" (10 yrs). Please help me.

For example, someone (on a Tier 4 general visa) withdraws from a course and therefore his visa is cancelled and he is given 60 days time to leave the country or to renew visa in the same/different category. (note: he already has spent 3 YEARS in the UK on Tier 4 visa) . He leaves the country before the "60 days time" expires. He comes back again to the UK after 3 months, with a new Tier 4 visa.

If he wants to apply for ILR (long residence-10 yrs) in the future, will his first 3 YEARS be counted ? Please reply asap. Thanks.

vinny

Re: Will "Long Residence" break?

Post by vinny » Tue May 17, 2016 8:38 am

Currently, ok.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

cg012
Newly Registered

Post by cg012 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:30 pm

vinny wrote:Currently, ok.
Why? Can u please explain?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 17, 2016 1:41 pm

We don't know what the future may hold for the Long residence rules.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

cg012
Newly Registered

Post by cg012 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:42 pm

vinny wrote:We don't know what the future may hold for the Long residence rules.
oh ok. So why is it "currently ok" ?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 17, 2016 1:47 pm

Under the current rules, it should be okay. But it's difficult to predict future rules.

cg012
Newly Registered

Post by cg012 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:48 pm

vinny wrote:Under the current rules, it should be okay. But it's difficult to predict future rules.
What are the current rules, and how it is ok according to the rule? I am very confused. Could you please explain?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 17, 2016 1:56 pm

Please click on any given links for further information.

cg012
Newly Registered

Post by cg012 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:39 pm

vinny wrote:
I read the following things (regarding break in 10 years) on a document titled "Long Residence" which is published by the Home Office for Home Office staff on 8 May 2015.
(the link for the document: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... .0_EXT.pdf )

Below I pasted some relevant things from the document:------------

Events that break continuous residence
Continuous residence is considered to be broken if the applicant has:
--- been absent from the UK for a period of more than six months at any one time, or is
absent from the UK for a shorter period but does NOT have valid leave to enter the UK
on their return, or valid leave to remain on their departure from the UK
--- spent a total of 18 months outside the UK throughout the whole 10 year period

Time spent outside the UK
Continuous residence is NOT considered broken if the applicant:
--- is absent from the UK for 6 months or less at any one time
--- had existing leave to enter or remain when they left and when they returned – this can
include leave gained at port when returning to the UK as a non visa national, see
related link: Information for non-visa nationals
--- departed the UK after the expiry of their leave to remain, but applied for fresh entry
clearance within 28 days of that previous leave expiring

If the applicant had existing leave to enter or remain when they left and returned to the UK,
the existing leave does not have to be in the same category on departure and return. For
example, an applicant can leave the UK as a Tier 4 (General) student and return with leave
as a spouse of a settled person. Continuous residence is not broken as the applicant had
valid leave both when they left and returned to the UK.
The document says Long Residence is BROKEN if the applicant has been absent from the UK for a period of more than six months at any one time, or is absent from the UK for a shorter period but does NOT have valid leave to enter the UK on their return, or valid leave to remain on their departure from the UK

In my original post, I said that the student already spent 3 years in the UK in Tier 4 general visa, and then he withdraws from the course for some reasons, SO his visa is CANCELLED and he is given 60 days time (note: in this time he does NOT have any right to work) . He goes back to his home country before "60 days" finish. After 3 months, he again come to the UK with a new visa. Will his clock start from the beginning ?

Is the "60 days time" considered as "leave to remain" or "Valid Leave" ?
(I am confused because this "60 days time" is given when the VISA IS CANCELLED. So is this 60 days time considered as a "visa"? I am very confused. Please help)

The doc also says -- the long residence is NOT broken if he departed the UK after the expiry of their leave to remain, but applied for fresh entry clearance within 28 days of that previous leave expiring. I did NOT understand the meaning of this sentence. Please give me an example.

Thanks a lot.

cg012
Newly Registered

Post by cg012 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:55 pm

cg012 wrote:
vinny wrote:
I read the following things (regarding break in 10 years) on a document titled "Long Residence" which is published by the Home Office for Home Office staff on 8 May 2015.
(the link for the document: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... .0_EXT.pdf )

Below I pasted some relevant things from the document:------------

Events that break continuous residence
Continuous residence is considered to be broken if the applicant has:
--- been absent from the UK for a period of more than six months at any one time, or is
absent from the UK for a shorter period but does NOT have valid leave to enter the UK
on their return, or valid leave to remain on their departure from the UK
--- spent a total of 18 months outside the UK throughout the whole 10 year period

Time spent outside the UK
Continuous residence is NOT considered broken if the applicant:
--- is absent from the UK for 6 months or less at any one time
--- had existing leave to enter or remain when they left and when they returned – this can
include leave gained at port when returning to the UK as a non visa national, see
related link: Information for non-visa nationals
--- departed the UK after the expiry of their leave to remain, but applied for fresh entry
clearance within 28 days of that previous leave expiring

If the applicant had existing leave to enter or remain when they left and returned to the UK,
the existing leave does not have to be in the same category on departure and return. For
example, an applicant can leave the UK as a Tier 4 (General) student and return with leave
as a spouse of a settled person. Continuous residence is not broken as the applicant had
valid leave both when they left and returned to the UK.
The document says Long Residence is BROKEN if the applicant has been absent from the UK for a period of more than six months at any one time, or is absent from the UK for a shorter period but does NOT have valid leave to enter the UK on their return, or valid leave to remain on their departure from the UK

In my original post, I said that the student already spent 3 years in the UK in Tier 4 general visa, and then he withdraws from the course for some reasons, SO his visa is CANCELLED and he is given 60 days time (note: in this time he does NOT have any right to work) . He goes back to his home country before "60 days" finish. After 3 months, he again come to the UK with a new visa. Will his clock start from the beginning ?

Is the "60 days time" considered as "leave to remain" or "Valid Leave" ?
(I am confused because this "60 days time" is given when the VISA IS CANCELLED. So is this 60 days time considered as a "visa"? I am very confused. Please help)

The doc also says -- the long residence is NOT broken if he departed the UK after the expiry of their leave to remain, but applied for fresh entry clearance within 28 days of that previous leave expiring. I did NOT understand the meaning of this sentence. Please give me an example.

Thanks a lot.
Please reply to the post above :(

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 17, 2016 11:05 pm

I believe that when leave has been curtailed for up to 60 days means that there is still existing leave within the 60 days. So, if one departs the UK within the 60 days, then one still had existing leave on departure.

If departure had been after the 60 days, then a successful application within 28 days from the end of the 60 days should also not have broken the continuous period with regards to the Long residence requirements.

If the the return to the UK is within six months with a new entry clearance, then it should be okay.

cg012
Newly Registered

Post by cg012 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:03 am

vinny wrote:I believe that when leave has been curtailed for up to 60 days means that there is still existing leave within the 60 days. So, if one departs the UK within the 60 days, then one still had existing leave on departure.

If departure had been after the 60 days, then a successful application within 28 days from the end of the 60 days should also not have broken the continuous period with regards to the Long residence requirements.

If the the return to the UK is within six months with a new entry clearance, then it should be okay.

In my original post, I said that - the visa is CANCELLED, Not curtailed. So is "the 60 days period" considered as a "visa" ?

example:- "The 60 days time" is from 10 Jan to 10 March. The person leaves the UK on 5th March and goes back to his home country. Then the person applies for a New Visa on 5th July from his home country and gets the visa on 8th July AND come back to the UK on 15th July with that visa. Note that-- From 11 march to 7th July, the person has stayed in his home country WITHOUT any valid leave/visa. Will this period (without valid leave/visa) break the clock (long residency) ?

Also please note that: "the 60 days time" does NOT include any right to work. Is this time considered as a valid "leave to remain" or valid visa/leave? please explain.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 18, 2016 12:43 am

Is there a difference between cancellation and curtailment in this case?
Curtailment can result in a person having no leave remaining immediately or after a limited specified period. If a person is given 60 days from the date of the curtailment notice, then I believe there is leave remaining until the 60 days have passed.

cg012
Newly Registered

Post by cg012 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:13 am

vinny wrote:Is there a difference between cancellation and curtailment in this case?
Curtailment can result in a person having no leave remaining immediately or after a limited specified period. If a person is given 60 days from the date of the curtailment notice, then I believe there is leave remaining until the 60 days have passed.
I do Not know whether there is a difference between Cancellation and Curtailment. If that "60 days" period is Valid Leave, then why there is No right to work (i.e. part time job) during this period? (i am actually Not sure whether there is any right to do part time job in this period)

The scenario:-- "The 60 days time" is from 10 Jan to 10 March. The person leaves the UK on 5th March and goes back to his home country. Then the person applies for a New Visa on 5th July from his home country and gets the visa on 8th July AND come back to the UK on 15th July with that visa.
Note that-- From 11 march to 7th July (almost 4 months), the person has stayed in his home country WITHOUT any valid leave/visa. Will this period (without valid leave/visa) break the clock (long residency) ? I need a 100% correct answer please.... :(

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 18, 2016 2:44 am

If a person had leave when departing the UK and returns within six month with current or new leave, then I believe that this is okay. There doesn't appear to be any requirement for such a person to have leave while outside the UK.

However, if a person departs from the UK when he has no leave, then he I believe should apply for entry clearance within 28 days from when his leave lapsed.

cg012
Newly Registered

Post by cg012 » Fri May 20, 2016 2:54 pm

vinny wrote:There doesn't appear to be any requirement for such a person to have leave while outside the UK.
Why is the rule a bit "UNCLEAR" about this requirement?

cg012
Newly Registered

Post by cg012 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:05 am

Please reply to my question in the previous post :( :(

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 25, 2016 12:54 am

If a person had leave when departing the UK, then I cannot see any requirement for him to apply for entry clearance within 28 days. I believe that continuous leave shouldn't be broken if he returns to the UK within six months with a new entry clearance and hasn't been absent for over 18 months in total during the ten years, etc.

cg012
Newly Registered

Post by cg012 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:40 pm

vinny wrote:If a person had leave when departing the UK, then I cannot see any requirement for him to apply for entry clearance within 28 days. I believe that continuous leave shouldn't be broken if he returns to the UK within six months with a new entry clearance and hasn't been absent for over 18 months in total during the ten years, etc.
Thank you so much Vinny.

Mary937
United Kingdom

Post by Mary937 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:43 am

Check this rule whether it would affect you or not:

"The gap between the end of your current course and your new course must not be more than 28 days."

cg012
Newly Registered

Post by cg012 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:47 am

Hi,

Does any kind of FLR application break long residency? please reply asap...thanks

cg012
Newly Registered

Post by cg012 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:39 am

anyone?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:36 am

When it's a refused out-of-time leave to remain application.

cg012
Newly Registered

Post by cg012 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:15 am

vinny wrote:When it's a refused out-of-time leave to remain application.
can u plse give an example? thnks

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:22 am

Example: When someone applies after expiry date and the application was refused after 28 days from expiry date.