ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I think I need to complete form UKM

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ozpoppy
Newly Registered

I think I need to complete form UKM

Post by ozpoppy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:07 pm

My mother was born in the UK in 1960 and emigrated to Australia in 1975. I was born in Australia in 1981.

I believe that I need to submit form UKM in order to register as a British Citizen. Is this correct?

jasonryanw1
Newly Registered

Re: I think I need to complete form UKM

Post by jasonryanw1 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:11 pm

Yes, that is correct

ozpoppy
Newly Registered

Post by ozpoppy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks jasonryanw1.

The guide says that I should send (amongst others):

• Your mother’s full birth certificate; and either
• Her certificate of naturalisation or registration as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies (or, before 1 January 1949, as a British subject); or
• Papers showing her legal adoption; or
• Her expired citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies passport

I have my mums birth certificate but do not have her expired passport (she is deceased and it wasn't with her documents).

SK413
Newly Registered

Post by SK413 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:53 pm

ozpoppy wrote:Thanks jasonryanw1.

The guide says that I should send (amongst others):

• Your mother’s full birth certificate; and either
• Her certificate of naturalisation or registration as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies (or, before 1 January 1949, as a British subject); or
• Papers showing her legal adoption; or
• Her expired citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies passport

I have my mums birth certificate but do not have her expired passport (she is deceased and it wasn't with her documents).
Hi.
You can only send what you have. Your mum's birth certificate and British Registration Certificate should be OK.
My mum never had a birth certificate so I just sent her british registration certificate (important document) and a notarised copy of her present British passport. I wrote a cover-letter explaining why my mum doesn't have a birth certificate.
Every thing worked out well.

ozpoppy
Newly Registered

Post by ozpoppy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:17 pm

SK413 wrote: Hi.
You can only send what you have. Your mum's birth certificate and British Registration Certificate should be OK.
My mum never had a birth certificate so I just sent her british registration certificate (important document) and a notarised copy of her present British passport. I wrote a cover-letter explaining why my mum doesn't have a birth certificate.
Every thing worked out well.
Unfortunately I don't have her British Registration Certificate. She had very few documents and I've just double checked that I don't have that either.

I must admit I hadn't heard of this document before. Would she have had one, being born in 1960 and emigrating in 1975?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:58 pm

If your mother was British born, she won't have a registration certificate, only a birth certificate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ozpoppy
Newly Registered

Post by ozpoppy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:04 pm

Thanks CR001. So should I just send her birth certificate and explain in the cover letter that I don't have her expired passport?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:11 pm

Do you not (or any other family member) have a copy of her passport perhaps?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ozpoppy
Newly Registered

Post by ozpoppy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:23 pm

Sadly, no. My maternal grandparents said it was misplaced some time after she emigrated. She didn't travel overseas again before she died so didn't renew it. As far as I know she only had the one passport she emigrated with.

ozpoppy
Newly Registered

Post by ozpoppy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:23 am

I haven't had any luck finding mum's passport. I do have her dad's UK birth certificate and her parent's marriage certificate so hopefully those plus a cover letter explaining that I don't have her passport from 40 years ago will suffice.

jasonryanw1
Newly Registered

Post by jasonryanw1 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:50 pm

I have recently applied and had a non successful UKM application due to the fact that my mother held a UK and colonies passport, but did not confirm her UK citizenship before leaving the UK to move to Canada in the 1970's

For more clarification, my mother was born in Saint Kitts in 1950 (UK overseas territory until 1983). My mothers family left the island to move to Birmingham in 1967 and my mother lived in the UK until 1976 when she moved to the Canada - where I was born.

I wanted to get clarification that I can re-submit my application with my paternal grandmothers information as she is still alive and has been living in Birmingham since 1967, except for a few years where she also lived in Canada. In hindsight,I am aware this could mean that I am not able to pass on the citizenship if approved, but I am ok with that as I am no longer to live in the UK under my current tier 2 visa that is sponsored from my current employer.

I should have sent in more information than I did the first time around to avoid all of this fuss, but will get this second application in ASAP to not waste time.

Thanks in advance for anyones help in clarifying this situation!

Fingers cross this could be my saving grace as I was hoping for better news today!

Jase

ozpoppy
Newly Registered

UKM letters from HO to Australia - Who can sign for them?

Post by ozpoppy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:23 am

My current work schedule takes me away from home for 3 weeks at a time. I was wondering whether my wife will be able to sign for the letter(s) eg. biometric, approval etc or whether only I can sign for them? She lives at the same address and has same surname but I wasn't sure if only the named addressee can sign.

In case it makes a difference, I'm applying for registration via form UKM and am located in Australia.

zed.
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Re: UKM letters from HO to Australia - Who can sign for them

Post by zed. » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:55 am

I have also applied for registration from Australia earlier this month and haven't received any mail from UKVI, yet.
There are others on the forum better placed to advise you but IMO UKVI will send such letters overseas using standard international mail and not using a service that requires signature at delivery. They use 2nd class royal mail for UK deliveries so I won't expect anything expensive for international applicants.

ozpoppy
Newly Registered

Post by ozpoppy » Thu May 19, 2016 12:23 pm

Not sure if this is weird or not. I got my letter requesting I enrol my biometrics. It says:

Overseas enrolment reference: xxx
Regarding applicant: My Name Nationality: British Subject

The HO cover letter says
Passport number: xxx (my Australian passport number)
Case reference: yyy
Regarding application: my name and address
Nationality: British Subject

I'm confused by the mention of British Subject. At this point in time I was expecting it to say Australian.

zed.
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by zed. » Fri May 27, 2016 8:20 am

ozpoppy wrote:Not sure if this is weird or not. I got my letter requesting I enrol my biometrics. It says:

Overseas enrolment reference: xxx
Regarding applicant: My Name Nationality: British Subject

The HO cover letter says
Passport number: xxx (my Australian passport number)
Case reference: yyy
Regarding application: my name and address
Nationality: British Subject

I'm confused by the mention of British Subject. At this point in time I was expecting it to say Australian.
I have received my enrollment letter and I have a question about booking an appointment with VFS. I hope you can help since you have already enrolled biometrics according to your timeline post.

The letter has two reference numbers, Overseas enrollment reference (OER) and case reference (CR). Which one did you use when creating the application for appointment with VFS?
I'm asking because VFS system displayed an error when I entered only CR because it didn't start with "UKN". When I tried to use OER the input field won't accept the complete OER.
Did you prefix the CR with "UKN" and entered as reference number or did your letter already had the case reference starting with "UKN" followed by 8 digits ?

ozpoppy
Newly Registered

Post by ozpoppy » Fri May 27, 2016 8:26 am

zed. wrote:Did you prefix the CR with "UKN" and entered as reference number or did your letter already had the case reference starting with "UKN" followed by 8 digits ?
My letter gave the reference as UKN-UK-12-345678-X. To book the VFS appointment I entered UKN12345678 - i.e. I did not enter any dashes or spaces, did not enter the -UK- part or the letter at the very end. Just UKN and the numbers worked for me.

zed.
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by zed. » Fri May 27, 2016 8:29 am

ozpoppy wrote: My letter gave the reference as UKN-UK-12-345678-X. To book the VFS appointment I entered UKN12345678 - i.e. I did not enter any dashes or spaces, did not enter the -UK- part or the letter at the very end. Just UKN and the numbers worked for me.
That's a relief. Saves me another round of chasing UKVI.

Cheers.