ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa correct forms

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

John Green

Spouse visa correct forms

Post by John Green » Sun May 29, 2016 6:06 pm

My wife completed most of the online spouse visa application form in her own country. However, I am confused over the forms.

There was a PDF version of a spouse visa form VAF4A to print out and to fill. I presume this "new" online version run by Visa4UK, one that you register for and fill out on the internet, supercedes that PDF version.

The PDF version of the spouse application form refers the applicant to refer to Appendix 2 for the Financial Requirement. There is (was?) also a PDF version of this Appendix 2 (VAF 4A December 2013, Financial Requirement form). If there is an online version, do you know of it (one that she fills out on the internet).

From reading these two documents in PDF versions, it looks like she fills out herself both this Financial Requirement form and the form VAF4A. I do not myself fill out or submit any forms for the spouse visa procedure. But I can give her the information she needs to fills out the two forms. So in the case of the Financial Requirement, I give her the information I have and she submits it in her own name to UKVI on the online form or the PDF form if there is no online equivalent.

In the case of supporting documents, she also submits all of these in her name. So I give her the supporting documents I have (eg as to my accommodation and savings) and she puts them in with her documents to pass over. Again, I have no direct input into the procedure. All the documents and both the completed forms are submitted in her name, and never in mine.

I asume that on these two forms I, as her UK husband, am classed as her sponsor. So she gives my details as her sponsor.

The final point is that the PDF version of Appendix 2 (Financial Requirement Form) constantly refers to both my income or savings and to her income and savings. I thought that as her UK sponsor, that ONLY my income and savings are taken into account. So why do they also ask about anything that she has?

Thanks again for your help.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Spouse visa correct forms

Post by manci » Sun May 29, 2016 8:17 pm

John Green wrote:My wife completed most of the online spouse visa application form in her own country. However, I am confused over the forms.

There was a PDF version of a spouse visa form VAF4A to print out and to fill. I presume this "new" online version run by Visa4UK, one that you register for and fill out on the internet, supercedes that PDF version.
correct, she must apply online

The PDF version of the spouse application form refers the applicant to refer to Appendix 2 for the Financial Requirement. There is (was?) also a PDF version of this Appendix 2 (VAF 4A December 2013, Financial Requirement form). If there is an online version, do you know of it (one that she fills out on the internet).
the PDF (Appendix 2) should be downloaded and filled in (can be done on screen with suitable software) then your wife prints, signs and dates it and submits it with the supporting documents

From reading these two documents in PDF versions, it looks like she fills out herself both this Financial Requirement form and the form VAF4A. I do not myself fill out or submit any forms for the spouse visa procedure. But I can give her the information she needs to fills out the two forms. So in the case of the Financial Requirement, I give her the information I have and she submits it in her own name to UKVI on the online form or the PDF form if there is no online equivalent.
it has already been explained in answer to your previous post that it is her application, not yours

In the case of supporting documents, she also submits all of these in her name. So I give her the supporting documents I have (eg as to my accommodation and savings) and she puts them in with her documents to pass over. Again, I have no direct input into the procedure. All the documents and both the completed forms are submitted in her name, and never in mine.
correct, see above

I asume that on these two forms I, as her UK husband, am classed as her sponsor. So she gives my details as her sponsor.
correct

The final point is that the PDF version of Appendix 2 (Financial Requirement Form) constantly refers to both my income or savings and to her income and savings. I thought that as her UK sponsor, that ONLY my income and savings are taken into account. So why do they also ask about anything that she has?
read this document for the answer to your question:
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... iew=Binary

Thanks again for your help.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 29, 2016 8:28 pm

Joint savings qualify.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

John Green

Post by John Green » Mon May 30, 2016 9:10 am

Thanks again.

I know the query is basic, but it needed to be asked, I think.

A bit surprised about the fact that to meet the Financial Requirement, her overseas savings and/or income could be taken into account though. I always thought that it was the UK sponsors that they were only interested in from that perspective, as he would be the one supporting his wife for the 5 years until she is eligible to apply for UK state financial help (gets ILR).

So the PDF of the Financial Requirement form (the 2013 version is the latest one I can find on the internet) is completed by myself. It is categorised as a supporting document. But my wife signs and dates it? Would I, as her UK sponsor and the one with the money, not be the one to sign the PDF form?
Last edited by John Green on Mon May 30, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon May 30, 2016 9:16 am

Casa wrote:Joint savings qualify.
Note the above. Joint savings. I didn't mention joint income as this doesn't qualify when the applicant is outside of the UK!
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

John Green

Post by John Green » Mon May 30, 2016 9:20 am

Ok. So the PDF of the Financial Requirement form (the 2013 version is the latest one I can find on the internet) is completed by myself. It is categorised as a supporting document.

But my wife signs and dates it? She signs off the information I give her on my finances in the UK because she is applying, and not me, even though the money comes from my own UK bank accounts. So that any information given them about my UK finances is her responsibility to ensure is accurate?

By the way, I want to write a covering letter in my own name as a supporting document. This explains from my own perspective a few things they might wonder about at UKVI, as there are a few complications. I assume that writing and signing a supporting letter in my name is fine in this context.
Last edited by John Green on Mon May 30, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon May 30, 2016 9:29 am

John Green wrote:Ok. So the PDF of the Financial Requirement form (the 2013 version is the latest one I can find on the internet) is completed by myself. It is categorised as a supporting document. It's not a 'supporting document' it's a mandatory section of the application.

But my wife signs and dates it? Would I, as her UK sponsor and actually the one with the money (we are totally relying on my savings in the UK), not be the one to sign the PDF form as reflecting an accurate picture of what's available? Or is it the case that as she is applying, and not me, any information given about UK finances is her responsibility to ensure is accurate? As you've already been correctly advised, your wife signs it.

By the way, I want to write a covering letter in my name as a supporting document. This explains from my own perspective a few things they might wonder about at UKVI, as there are a few complications. I assume that writing and signing a supporting letter in my name is fine in this context.
Of course. You are required as the sponsor to write a letter supporting your wife's application.
(Casa, not CR001)

John Green

Post by John Green » Mon May 30, 2016 9:32 am

Thanks once again.

Aside from this letter from me, is there anything else I need to supply her (them) with as her sponsor - in my own name please? I refer to mandatory documents.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon May 30, 2016 9:35 am

John Green wrote:Thanks again.

I know the query is basic, but it needed to be asked, I think.

A bit surprised about the fact that to meet the Financial Requirement, her overseas savings and/or income could be taken into account though. I always thought that it was the UK sponsors that they were only interested in from that perspective, as he would be the one supporting his wife for the 5 years until she is eligible to apply for UK state financial help (gets ILR).
if your wife had £62,500 cash savings held for at least 6 months that would satisfy the financial requirements even if you had zero income/ savings. See the table on p15 of the linked document. £62,500 is reckoned to be sufficient to live on for 2.5 years, it is equivalent to £25k p.a..

So the PDF of the Financial Requirement form (the 2013 version is the latest one I can find on the internet) is completed by myself. It is categorised as a supporting document. But my wife signs and dates it? Would I, as her UK sponsor and the one with the money, not be the one to sign the PDF form?
you are repeating the question you asked before - it has already been answered

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon May 30, 2016 9:37 am

I suggest you thoroughly digest the information given in this link:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... lement.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)

John Green

Post by John Green » Mon May 30, 2016 9:42 am

I will read it thanks.

John Green

Post by John Green » Mon May 30, 2016 3:37 pm

The Financial Requirement can be met by the applicant or by myself, as her UK sponsor. In my case, she has next to no money, so I am able and need to meet it wholly from my UK bank account. Which I will do.

However, and this confuses me. Even though the money I register to meet the Requirement is all mine and comes from my own UK bank account, she still has to sign and date the form? Rather than myself, who is after all the one supplying all the money and the information ... which seems a bit strange (see the earlier reply today related to Appendix 2 (VAF 4a))

Or have we got our wires crossed and you are thinking of the situation where my wife supplied some money to meet this Financial Requirement, which is not the case here?
Last edited by John Green on Mon May 30, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon May 30, 2016 3:41 pm

John Green wrote:The Financial Requirement can be met by the applicant or by myself, as her UK sponsor. In my case, she has next to no money, so I am able and need to meet it wholly from my UK bank account. Which I can do. Yes, if she had savings (not income), but she doesn't so you're using yours. We know this from your other multiple posts on the subject.

However, and this confuses me. Even though the money I register is all mine and relates to my UK bank account, she still has to sign and date the form? Rather than myself, who is after all the one supplying the money and the information ... which seems a bit strange (see the earlier reply today related to Appendix 2 (VAF 4a)) It may seem strange to you, but it's the way it is. Your wife as the applicant signs the form!

Or have we got our wires crossed and you are thinking of the situation where my wife supplied some money to meet this Financial Requirement, which is not the case here?
No, our wires aren't crossed.
(Casa, not CR001)

John Green

Post by John Green » Mon May 30, 2016 3:43 pm

Okay, thanks.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon May 30, 2016 8:39 pm

John Green wrote: Even though the money I register to meet the Requirement is all mine and comes from my own UK bank account.........
It is the bank that certifies that you have the necessary funds, not you. Your wife just submits the (original) statements the bank provides.