ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI Queries..Please Help...

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

uk_boy

OCI Queries..Please Help...

Post by uk_boy » Thu May 26, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi Gurus,

Am applying for my Daughter's OCI, and got some queries on the application form.

1. I uploaded her thumb impression[right thumb] and photograph online and the thumb impression is now showing in the printed application form just below the photograph in Part A, signature section. Do I need to get my daughter's thumb impression here again, or the uploaded thumb impression showing on the printed application form is fine.

2. In Part B, Point No.32 of the application form - I should be using my name or my daughters name in the declation i.e., 'I/We ............................................... do solemnly and sincerely declare that the foregoing particulars stated on this application are true ,and I/We make ths solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true.'

Also, again in the same section under signature, do I need my daughters thumb impression or my Signature.

3. Thumb impression of my daughter should be left hand impression or right hand impression in the application form, I read it somewhere that for boys it should be left and for girls it should be right thumb impression, but on the application form instructions it just says 'left thumb impression' Please clarify gurus....!!!

Thanks a lot for all your help..

Regards..

rmukherjee
United Kingdom

Re: OCI Queries..Please Help...

Post by rmukherjee » Tue May 31, 2016 9:53 am

uk_boy wrote:I uploaded her thumb impression[right thumb] and photograph online and the thumb impression is now showing in the printed application form just below the photograph in Part A, signature section. Do I need to get my daughter's thumb impression here again, or the uploaded thumb impression showing on the printed application form is fine.
I did the thumb impression again, as printing the uploaded thumb impression did not "look right".
uk_boy wrote:I should be using my name or my daughters name in the declation ... do I need my daughters thumb impression or my Signature.
We wrote ... I/we "husband and wife's name, parents of child" ... and signed (both parents). As the child clearly cannot give a declaration.
uk_boy wrote:I read it somewhere that for boys it should be left and for girls it should be right thumb impression, but on the application form instructions it just says 'left thumb impression'
We just used left thumb following instructions on the form.

uk_boy

Post by uk_boy » Tue May 31, 2016 11:13 am

Thanks for your reply rmukherjee
I did the thumb impression again, as printing the uploaded thumb impression did not "look right".
I spoke with one of my friend today morning and he said that we should not do the thumb impression again, and we should use only uploaded image.
Can somebody please confirm this?
We wrote ... I/we "husband and wife's name, parents of child" ... and signed (both parents). As the child clearly cannot give a declaration.
In Part B, Point No.32 - Declaration is fine, but read it somewhere that only the baby's thumb impression should be used in the Signature section and not parents.
Great, I ll use left hand impression of my daughter.

Regards

rmukherjee
United Kingdom

Post by rmukherjee » Tue May 31, 2016 11:26 am

uk_boy wrote:Thanks for your reply rmukherjee
I spoke with one of my friend today morning and he said that we should not do the thumb impression again, and we should use only uploaded image.
In Part B, Point No.32 - Declaration is fine, but read it somewhere that only the baby's thumb impression should be used in the Signature section and not parents.
Great, I ll use left hand impression of my daughter.

Regards
Sorry, I got mixed up.

B 32 has two parts - one for the child and one for the parents. See picture. Basically, for the child we put in the child's name and actual thumb impression (not printout). For the bottom section (for the parents) we signed. Our application was accepted with no hassles.

Hope this clarifies and apologies for the confusion.

uk_boy

Post by uk_boy » Tue May 31, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks rmukherjee...appreciate your help buddy.

One Urgent query, me and my wife is on ILR and my daughter has a British passport (Citizen by Registration)
When she was born I got her Indian passport, as we had plans to travel to India.

I have now sent her passport back to HCI and got the 'Surrender Certificate'.
Read it on the forum, that for me to apply an OCI card for my daughter I(Her Parents) need to have the British Passport and should be an OCI card holder, only then can we we apply for an OCI card for my daughter.

So, now in a nutshell I cannot apply as I need have a the British passport and an OCI Card. Please confirm if my understanding is correct.

Please advise Gurus..

Regards...

rmukherjee
United Kingdom

Post by rmukherjee » Tue May 31, 2016 6:51 pm

uk_boy wrote:One Urgent query, me and my wife is on ILR and my daughter has a British passport (Citizen by Registration)

When she was born I got her Indian passport, as we had plans to travel to India.

I have now sent her passport back to HCI and got the 'Surrender Certificate'.
Read it on the forum, that for me to apply an OCI card for my daughter I(Her Parents) need to have the British Passport and should be an OCI card holder, only then can we we apply for an OCI card for my daughter.

So, now in a nutshell I cannot apply as I need have a the British passport and an OCI Card. Please confirm if my understanding is correct.
Hi there, glad you found my post helpful, I just went through the crazy OCI process and wanted to give back to this forum which has helped me a lot :)

So - I was in the same boat as you, my child was registered as a British citizen before we were. We chose to not apply for an OCI for her immediately, mainly because I didn't want the hassle right then - and anyway we wanted to travel to India soon after she was registered. We travelled to India with an Indian visa stuck to my child's passport, it was a relatively easy process to get the visa. So getting the OCI is not a "must". We eventually did OCI for the whole family together this year.

That said, I'm not sure that minor children who were Indian citizens and surrendered their passports need parents who have OCI. That rule is for 2nd/3rd generation kids who were born in the UK and never had Indian citizenship.

For instance, if you look this screenshot of page on the VFS site (click to expand the image) (the URL is broken, go to http://www.vfsglobal.com/India/UK/OCI.html#15 then click on "Documents Required", then search for "minor" on that page), the portion highlighted in red clearly states that parents who are UK visa holders can also apply. However I have no direct experience of this.

As a last resort, you can call VFS at +44 203 793 8629 / +44 203 695 9849 or email them at info.ociuk@vfshelpline.com for clarification (although the email address has a tendency to give canned replies). Or you can speak to HCI London - info dot london at hcilondon dot in or 02086295950 (0930 to 1700 hrs on all working days), they are quite helpful.