ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

3 months initial right of residence-Working in Ireland...

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Xena2016
Newly Registered

3 months initial right of residence-Working in Ireland...

Post by Xena2016 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:55 pm

Hello everyone

Could you please help me with the right advice. I'll start off with a bit about the situation.
My partner is a British citizen, I'm a South African citizen. We have been married for just under 2 years and been together 6 years in total (4 of those years we lived together in London and the last 2 years in South Africa). Husband is currently in London and we will meet up in Ireland once we have everything booked- ideally as soon as possible.
We were aiming to go back to the UK and from our circumstances, decided to go so via the EU route/ Surinder Singh method. We did consult a solicitor. He said I would have to go to the Irish Embassy in my home country and go and get the permit that allows me to accompany or join my partner (valid for 3 months) to Ireland where he would be exercising his treaty rights.

My question is this: Upon arrival in Ireland, can I work straight away (as soon as I find a job) while on this 3 month permit? Does it grant me the right to work as the spouse of an EU person? My solicitor said as soon as I land in Ireland, I have the same rights as my husband in terms of right to work. I would just like to confirm this. I'm aware that stays longer than 3 months need to be registered with the relevant authorities but just for those initial 3 months, am I without restriction, allowed to work?
Thereafter I believe I will have to apply for the 6 month EEA FP after husband has done all that is needed to fulfill the exercising treaty rights criteria.

I look forward to your replies and thank you greatly in advance for your help. :D

Obie
Ireland

Re: 3 months initial right of residence-Working in Ireland..

Post by Obie » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:55 pm

You will be entitled to work immediately, but in practice, this right can only be exercised, once a Residence Card application has been lodged.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Xena2016
Newly Registered

Post by Xena2016 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:28 am

Obie wrote:You will be entitled to work immediately, but in practice, this right can only be exercised, once a Residence Card application has been lodged.
Thank you for replying, can I just be clear...Are you saying that I can "get away" with working from the get go, but ideally I should only start work once an application is lodged?

What would I need to show a prospective employer, besides my passport which will have my permit?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

ab0099
Newly Registered

Post by ab0099 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:13 pm

Obie wrote:You will be entitled to work immediately, but in practice, this right can only be exercised, once a Residence Card application has been lodged.
Hello,
Can a non eu dependent brother of eu citizen study in Ireland after lodging his residence card application and waiting for acknowledge letter.
Thank You so Much

Xena2016
Newly Registered

Post by Xena2016 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:30 am

Xena2016 wrote:
Thank you for replying, can I just be clear...Are you saying that I can "get away" with working from the get go, but ideally I should only start work once an application is lodged?

What would I need to show a prospective employer, besides my passport which will have my permit?

BUMP!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:27 am

Xena2016 wrote:

Its not about "getting away" with anything.

The point is you have the full power and authority of EU law behind you - but try persuading some (uninformed/unaware) employers and HR departments of that without a RC to thrust under their nose.

You can get up to speed on free movement and associated rights here:
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/doc ... 013_en.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.