ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Surrender - urgent questions

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tulipz
Mood:
United Kingdom

Passport Surrender - urgent questions

Post by tulipz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:07 pm

Can someone please help with the below questions?

I have an appointment at London Padddington VFS to surrender passports. (3 applications: Me, husband and child).

1. I understand I need authorisation from my husband to submit application on his behalf. Is there a template for this or would a simple letter do? Do I need a letter for my son too? (age 8)

2. Do I need one appointment or 3 ? I chose 3 as number of applications while booking, it gave me 3 separate times for the 3 applications! 830, 11:15 and 12:30 !! Will they take all 3 applications in one go?

3. Do I need 3 special delivery envelopes or one? Would a courier work cheaper in my case?

4. For my son's application, does he need to "self attest" all his documents?

lemony

Re: Passport Surrender - URGENT questions

Post by lemony » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:18 pm

1. I did take one on behalf of my husband (signed by him)...wasnt needed but suggest you take it anyways. A simple authorisation letter will suffice,

2. Thats strange coz I chose 2 applicants and 2 children and it gave me 4 appointments one after the other.

3. I took the more expensive route and let VFS arrange courier for me.

4. You (and probably your husband too) need to attest it.

tulipz
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tulipz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Can anyone please confirm - Do I need ONE special delivery envelope or 3 ?

rmukherjee
United Kingdom

Post by rmukherjee » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:53 pm

tulipz wrote:Can anyone please confirm - Do I need ONE special delivery envelope or 3 ?
Three. They will send each applicant's passport + surrender certificate in a separate envelope.

The format of the authorisation letter I used was:
To
The High Commission of India
London

Date: xxxxxx

Surrender of Indian Passport — Letter of Authorisation

Dear Sir / Madam,

I, the undersigned and holder of Indian Passport no. xxxxx, would like to apply to surrender my Indian passport as I have received British citizenship. This letter is to authorise my husband/wife xxxxxxx (British Passport no. xxxxxxx) to submit my passport-surrender application to VFS on my behalf.

Yours sincerely,
Your Name

Your Address / Details

rmukherjee
United Kingdom

Post by rmukherjee » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:01 pm

tulipz wrote:2. Do I need one appointment or 3 ? I chose 3 as number of applications while booking, it gave me 3 separate times for the 3 applications! 830, 11:15 and 12:30 !! Will they take all 3 applications in one go?

3. Do I need 3 special delivery envelopes or one? Would a courier work cheaper in my case?

4. For my son's application, does he need to "self attest" all his documents?
For child's documents, both parents should self-attest.

I also chose to use VFS's courier but it's more expensive - that was silly of me, I was very pressed for time and couldn't go to the post office to collect prepaid SD envelopes.

Re appointment times - I also had appointments at different times, but they took all my passports in one go.

tulipz
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Passport Surrender - urgent questions

Post by tulipz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:51 am

thanks everyone!