ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change - Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Waqas17

Name change - Spouse Visa

Post by Waqas17 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi,

My wife came to the UK 1.5 years ago on a spouse visa in her maiden name. Her passport expired a few months later, so we got a new passport with her married name. However she decided to take my first name as her surname, instead of my surname. Can we still use the marriage certificate as proof?

Also now the old passport with the visa is in her maiden name and new passport is the married name. We also have some letters in both names, but i think i should update everyone with her married name?

Please help!

Waqas17

Re: Name change - Spouse Visa

Post by Waqas17 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:48 pm

Just to add to this, my question is that my wife took my first name as her surname, would this cause any issues?

Also she has a visa until May 2017, when we would have to apply for FLR. What preparation can i do before then? I heard the english requirement is A2 now?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:38 pm

I'll leave someone else to advise on the name change as I've never heard of anyone taking the husband's first name! :?

Yes, A2 level English will be a requirement for FLR(M) from October 2016. Read through the FLR(M) guidance for current requirements, which may change before your wife has to extend her visa. The NHS surcharge of £500 will also be payable.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _11-15.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Waqas17

Post by Waqas17 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks casa. I did tell my wife just take my surname but she insisted!

Hopefully someone else can clarify.

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:08 pm

Waqas17 wrote:Thanks casa. I did tell my wife just take my surname but she insisted!

Its common in Pakistan. My surname was my family name( i.e it was surname of my father ) . My wife changed her surname as my first name after marraige so i never had any issue

SAMISPOUSAL
India

Post by SAMISPOUSAL » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:52 am

Waqas17 wrote:Just to add to this, my question is that my wife took my first name as her surname, would this cause any issues?

Also she has a visa until May 2017, when we would have to apply for FLR. What preparation can i do before then? I heard the english requirement is A2 now?

Waqas17

I hope This helps you...as I also hope others on here will politely help us as well.

My wife took IELTS ( speaking 5 Listening 4.5) in India in NOVEMBER 2013 and that cert was accepted to arrive here in uk.
She passed another A1 exam here in Uk ( ESOL) in January 2015 to get ready for the FLRm which is not due till Nov 2016..So that was too early..The rules have changed. Now you need A2 AND ESOL IS NOT ACCEPTABLE anymore. so dont plan too early... and I have been told by Home office that my wife does not need to take another exam as the IELTS CERT which was accepted to arrive here CAN BE USED AGAIN to do the FLR even though it will be three years old ( because we are on the same visa track process)
Please keep us posted here.
G Luck
British man sponsoring Indian wife.Application Pune --Mumbai 18 DEC 2013 Requested further info 27 01 2014

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:18 am

SAMISPOUSAL wrote:
Waqas17 wrote:Just to add to this, my question is that my wife took my first name as her surname, would this cause any issues?

Waqas17

I hope This helps you...as I also hope others on here will politely help us as well.

My wife took IELTS ( speaking 5 Listening 4.5) in India in NOVEMBER 2013 and that cert was accepted to arrive here in uk.
She passed another A1 exam here in Uk ( ESOL) in January 2015 to get ready for the FLRm which is not due till Nov 2016..So that was too early..The rules have changed. Now you need A2 AND ESOL IS NOT ACCEPTABLE anymore. so dont plan too early... and I have been told by Home office that my wife does not need to take another exam as the IELTS CERT which was accepted to arrive here CAN BE USED AGAIN to do the FLR even though it will be three years old ( because we are on the same visa track process)
Please keep us posted here.
G Luck
@SAMISPOUSAL you have high jacked another member's thread which is unfair to the OP Waquas and causes confusion. Your question is not related to a name change. Please continue to post in your own thread.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/immigr ... 10577.html
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Waqas17

Post by Waqas17 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:21 pm

ILR1980 wrote:
Waqas17 wrote:Thanks casa. I did tell my wife just take my surname but she insisted!

Its common in Pakistan. My surname was my family name( i.e it was surname of my father ) . My wife changed her surname as my first name after marraige so i never had any issue
You did the same as me and wife then. So was your marriage certificate good enough proof for the Home Office that your wife took your first name?

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:46 pm

Waqas17 wrote: You did the same as me and wife then. So was your marriage certificate good enough proof for the Home Office that your wife took your first name?
Almost every girl in Pakistan replace her surname(represent father name) with husband first name after marriage. My wife had previous father surname on nikkah nama, marraige registration certificate,on her degree etc so after marriage we changed name on ID card, passport etc so never had problem when they issued her first dependent visa

You can explain all this in covering sponsor letter or in additional information section of the form that its common practice to replace surname after marriage and thats what your wife did