ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got EC. Queries on further steps

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

andy2007

Got EC. Queries on further steps

Post by andy2007 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi All,

I am a software Engineer working in India. I have just got EC for 2 years. I had planned to resign my current job in

India and apply to a UK based firm.

But my Indian employer is ready to send me to UK for long-term (say 2 years) on my HSMP work permit.
If I take this approach:
1. how will it affect my FLR chances?

2. What documents should I procure from my Indian employer?

3. In this case I will not be getting P60 form I suppose.
All the tax on my UK income will be paid by my Indian employer and hence I will not get any UK tax documents. In this case are there any alternative documents I should show during FLR?

4. Overall, what may be the downsides in this approach?

Somebody had this similar situation? Please help.

Thanks and Regards,
Andy

marupa

Post by marupa » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi Andy,

I don't think that such a situation is very lucrative. How are you going to survive with an indian salary in UK?

marupa

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi Andy,

If ypur employer is NOT going to provide any documentation/Tax papers/P60/Sal slips ,then you wont be able to extend your HSMP(FLR)..
So after 2 years u will have to come back to India ...
I dont understand Why your employer wont give you any payslips/P60..It is illegal..
See this post http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=22072

vidya

Post by vidya » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:32 pm

andy , i have also asked for work at the UK office at my company , they have agreed to consider it after i get visa stamped.

I have been thinking about a couple of options - like it might be good to get a contract for 6 months at our current company - that gives us time to go there , get settled in and then look out for something permanent - either within the same office or outside.

i dont have too much of savings plus we have a home loan to repay so i am hoping to start earning as soon as i go there - which is why i went in for the idea of asking for UK work at my current office - but i will still have to resign the india office and join afresh the UK office - i dont think they will treat it as a transfer - bcos the india and UK offices are two different entities.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Vidya,

If your employer wants to take you on -board legally with all the documenation/pay slips then go for it.It would be good to have a job in hand when u first arrive in UK..
But if your employer is doggya nd refuses to give you any papers then you might have to think twice...(Obviously you can leave then after 3-4 months once you find a good/genuine job)..
Lately i am meeting a lot of Indian friends of mine who are stuck bcoz of lack of salary slips/P60 and they cannot apply for HSMP..So you need to think hard before joining such employer
My 2 cents!!

Ashish

SKUK
Member of Standing

Deputation cases

Post by SKUK » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:47 pm

Hi,

I've done some research on these deputation cases. I know these companies are legally exempt from paying full taxes for their employees who have been deputed from India (UK signed a mutual treaty MoU with India a decade ago on this). This applies only for a period of two years. They do generate P60 but it is never directly given to the employee. When you ask the same, they realise that you are asking it for HSMP (The needle of suspicion is towards this even though we may bluff to them saying it's for Home loan or something like that).

Now according to the laws, if the deputed employee were to stay for more than 2 years in UK, then the company has to pay the regular tax. Hence many of the companies insist on their employees returning after two years even though the client prefers to stick on with the employee and he/she might be even critical to the project. They give some bullshit to the client saying this is as per rotation policy and some crap like that....

Vidya/andy, in your cases I doubt if the company can show you as deputation cases. They have to induct you people as UK employees and start paying proper tax from the beginning. Do thoroughly enquire about this before you take up your company's offer.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:02 pm

Yes..I fully agree with SKUK..So bottom line is :while working in UK ask for documenation/payslips and P60,if u dont get it you cannot renew HSMP

andy2007

Post by andy2007 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:41 pm

hmmmm..... That is really useful information.
Thank you guys for all the replies.

I think I will first research on what all documentation my employer can provide me during my deputation to UK. Then see if that would be sufficient enough for FLR.

I am trying to have a UK job before resigining from current Indian job.
I am also open to going to UK just for interviews on my cost if I see good chances for offers. Then come back to India to resign and start new job in UK.

I will keep you updated. Thanks again for the info.

Regards,
Andy

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:46 pm

andy2007 wrote:hmmmm..... That is really useful information.

I am trying to have a UK job before resigining from current Indian job.
I am also open to going to UK just for interviews on my cost if I see good chances for offers. Then come back to India to resign and start new job in UK.

I will keep you updated. Thanks again for the info.

Regards,
Andy
I've adopted same way as yours.
But, be sure, its very difficult to get an offer without coming here.

But, I've shown desire to come here on my expenses. Lined up 4-5 interviews, and came here for 3 weeks stay.

Belive me, I got offer on second day itself.
Then I went back, served notice(period). And started here in UK.

But, it took around 3-4 months to plan and asses all these things.

So be well prepared before landing here in all aspect. And keep plan B ready for worst case. I'm putting my experience to encourage you.

All the best.

p.s. One more thing, I was more keen to come UK through Indian company, :) . Because, I was not ready for above thing initially. As there was huge risk involved.
But, nobody was interested in me.

andy2007

Post by andy2007 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:53 pm

Also If I go there and continue to work for Indian employer only for 6 months

Vidya,
As you mentioned, it might be good to get a contract for 6 months then switch jobs, but in that case for the first year of HSMP earnings of these 6 months will not appear on P60 of Year1 of HSMP.
Or is it that for FLR only latest 12 months data is required and not of ALL 2 years. If thats the case it will be great as we will get some time to initially settle in UK with regards to employment and keeping employment records.

Good Luck.

andy2007

Post by andy2007 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Thanks Gotcha, your approach is what I hope and wish happens with me too... :D

ashishashah,
The link you pointed, is indeed very helpful
Thanks,
Andy

venkatesh.balakumar

Post by venkatesh.balakumar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:07 am

Text Deleted
Last edited by venkatesh.balakumar on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

venkatesh.balakumar

Post by venkatesh.balakumar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:08 am

Text Deleted
Last edited by venkatesh.balakumar on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

venkatesh.balakumar

Post by venkatesh.balakumar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:09 am

Hey folks,

I plan to resign my job here and go there after i get visa ,then hunt for a job there.I think this will save me some time,else i need to go there for 3 weeks holiday (which i will never be granted and is impossible from my employer) then bag a job there,again come back here..serve one month notice period..then again fly back..Fact is i have my wife as dependent..If i put my papers down when am here,definitely my company will relieve me of duties as soon as possible,and this will save me a lot of time plus to and fro flight charges..but am under a dilemma now...How good are the job prospects there right now?Especially for a J2EE architect with around 11 years of IT experience?Please do help in updating me with prospects if you are aware of..And Can i take the risk of Resigning my job here?Ur advice please.

venkatesh.balakumar

Post by venkatesh.balakumar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:10 am

sorry am getting some error..thats why its been posted twice or thrice..

hsmppune

Post by hsmppune » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:48 am

Yeah this has been happening with everyone, you will see 3-4 redundant replies from a lot of people:).

venkatesh.balakumar

Post by venkatesh.balakumar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:25 am

Also i need to know what should one do immediately after landing in the UK,Guess we need to fill some forms and attend a short interview with immigration officer and attend medical examination to enter into the UK..I have a very faint idea about this issue..Someone sort this out too please..So that it will be very useful for the first-timers..

andy2007

Post by andy2007 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:38 am

Hi venkatesh.balakumar,

Our situation seems similar.

One other thing is that I am still not married and do not have any loan commitments... Hence I suppose the risk factor may be slightly less in my case if I do resign and go there to search job...

Regards,
Andy

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:25 am

venkatesh.balakumar wrote:Hey folks,
..but am under a dilemma now...How good are the job prospects there right now?Especially for a J2EE architect with around 11 years of IT experience?Please do help in updating me with prospects if you are aware of..And Can i take the risk of Resigning my job here?Ur advice please.
Come on ! These things need to be considered while taking decision about HSMP.

Kind of experience you have, I dont' think, there will be any problem. But, again, I'm not having same skill sets, so can not comment on it. But, be sure, in India, whatever position you hold, you will be considered for developer or senior developer role here(and should be). So keep that flexibility.

In my initial reply, I'd mentioned, that I've spent 3-4 months to asses all things.
It means, I've utilized that time to research on job opportunities here. Judged the pros and cons of coming here.

Start applying from India initially, see kind of response you get. You will get a feel of opportunities available here. And then take decision.

In short, you are the best person to take decision about this.

andy2007

Post by andy2007 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:02 am

Guys, I just called up one of the recruiters whom I have been in touch for past 2 months.

I asked him in general what is the *present* scenario in UK regarding IT recruitment.

His Feedback:
"It is at its peak in first quarter i.e. Jan,Feb,March. IT projects start in Jan and so heavy recruitment takes place in first quarter."

Now this may be just to convince me to come to UK as afterall he is a headhunter and would always say recruitment is good.(u see as the saying goes "Never as a barber if you need a hair cut")

OR It could be true...Any thoughts?

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:20 am

Well,he is right..Projects start from Feb..But hey, that is a general statement that market is good..What abt. your skills ??What abt. your Previous Experience??What abt. UK exp??How abt. soft skills???

Remember, UK operates very much differently then India and US..And ppl. in India know abt. US trends as they normally work for US clients (most of them)...IN UK employers look at soft skills /communication etc beside then technical skills..Also how u present your self etc..While in US they r just intrested that u can do the job or not..But in UK you also need to show that you will get along with them in office/get used to office culture..There will be very subtle hints,nothing will be mentioned but you need to take all this things in account as well..
So please remove your perception abt. Indian/US companies while coming to UK...e.g After an interview you will think that it went off well and u shd. get that job, but that might be your perception..They not only look at technical skills..And this is very true for Permanent jobs...For contracting you MIGHT get away with soft skills ,but for permanent ,you will have 3-4 rounds of interview where your soft skills will be accessed.
This is my exp after working in all 3 countries and after i have interacted with friends/collegues and clients

Hope it helps
Ashish

venkatesh.balakumar

Post by venkatesh.balakumar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:53 am

right said ashish..i have been there on work permit in 2002 and worked for a company there and those people love to interact with you more before they give you a permanent position.Anyways, Though i have some loan commitments ,i guess i have enough back ups to support and keep it going even when im left with no job for 3 to 4 months.Thats why am thinking,its better to resign and hunt for a new job there.Got few consultants call today.Just waiting for my EC.Hey is that so that we need to show more than 2 permanent jobs after we go there in order to claim FLR?Any idea about it?

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:19 pm

FLR has more or less the same rules as HSMP (salary in last 12 momths ,Education,age etc )..It has nothing to do with no. of jobs in hand...

chetanamale@gmail.com

Post by chetanamale@gmail.com » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:24 am

ashish, my company gives two pay slips, one issued in UK and has only net salary paid in pounds, while other of Indian salary ( covering full details).

As far as i know they dont issue P60.Does this affect my chances of getting FLR ?
Also can you please give your comments on what andy has written
"as you mentioned, it might be good to get a contract for 6 months then switch jobs, but in that case for the first year of HSMP earnings of these 6 months will not appear on P60 of Year1 of HSMP.
Or is it that for FLR only latest 12 months data is required and not of ALL 2 years" ??

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Buddy,
U need to go through FLR rules...Only last 12 months salary is counted..So for first 12 months u r safe,even if u r jobless its fine..Its the last 12 months which counts..
About payslips, they need P60/Sla slips and bank statement..What abt. gross salary??How do u prove that your gross is X amt when u r paid Y as net amt???
Also paying Tax is very imp. in this country,so even if u show huge amount of unaccouned money, that wont help u instead u will asked to first pay IT on that..
Overall, i will stick to my suggestion that for first 12 months u can join your firm,and after 12 months start looking for some thing genuine(But from ethical point of view u shd. never join your dogyy firm)..\
Go through FLR rules so that u can get idea