ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need to amend my certificate?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

unsure

Do I need to amend my certificate?

Post by unsure » Mon May 30, 2016 6:29 pm

Hello all,

Was curious if anyone could advise me on this:

I have a Certificate of Registration...it was issued to me when I was 10 years old (back in 1995). I was born here in the UK.

Thing is my name on the Certificate of Registration is spelt slightly differently then what is on my Birth Certificate. (Literally there is an E instead it should be an I)

My name on my British passport is the same as my birth certificate, as is my drivers license...everything.

About 2 years ago...I sent a request to the home office to correct it, however...I asked a solicitor about it and she told me that I dont even need the certificate of Registration anymore and I should cancel my request. I cancelled my request and everything was sent back to me including the fee refund.

However..I dont know why...Im just feeling paranoid about this...Do I HAVE to amend my name on the certificate? or should I just leave this alone?

I would appreciate anyone advice please?

Thanks

LilyLalilu

Re: Do I need to amend my certificate?

Post by LilyLalilu » Mon May 30, 2016 8:16 pm

If the name on the certificate is misspelt you should definitely get it corrected. Why did the solicitor think this wasn't necessary? Your certificate is your official proof that you became British through registration so you may need to produce it at some point in the future, it's a very important document.
I'm quite surprised that HMPO didn't pick up on this when issuing your passport.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

unsure

Post by unsure » Mon May 30, 2016 8:51 pm

^ Well She said as I already have a British passport...this document is not needed anymore.

2 years ago when I made the request to the home office...they took so long like almost 4 months and they didnt even start on my request. I remember calling them and the guy on the phone told me i dont need to do it either.

What do you think?

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Mon May 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Yeah, it seems to take them ages to amend certificates.
Well, I'd send it off to get it corrected anyways, not urgent or anything as you have your UK passport but probably safer to do so should you need to show the certificate again in the future.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

unsure

Post by unsure » Tue May 31, 2016 10:44 am

Hi i just called the home office and told them everything. He asked me it's upto me if i want to correct it. It depends if I'm going to use the certificate for anything. Which I'm not. So its up to me.

bond.boy203

Post by bond.boy203 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:42 am

changing the name via deed poll to the correct one(with spelling correction) is a sensible and better option since all your records including your certificates and passport has been reflecting the spelling mistake.

unsure

Post by unsure » Tue May 31, 2016 12:05 pm

^ all my current records is spelled with the correct spelling now. Inc passport, drivers license, local council, bank....everything.

Only the certificate of registration has the incorrect spelling.

I've been told by two solicitors that I won't need the certificate of registration anymore as I already have a passport with correct name.

But the poster above is advising me to correct it...I'm very confused now.

bond.boy203

Post by bond.boy203 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:11 pm

Apologies. if all your records are corrected then there is no need. I misunderstood the situation. For certificate of registration I will let seniors answer and delete my previous response.

bond.boy203

Post by bond.boy203 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:12 pm

bond.boy203 wrote:changing the name via deed poll to the correct one(with spelling correction) is a sensible and better option since all your records including your certificates and passport has been reflecting the spelling mistake.
Mod's could you please delete this

unsure

Post by unsure » Tue May 31, 2016 12:26 pm

If I was to do a deed poll dated at 2004 (when I changed/corrected my name on my passport) then would that not solve the problem?
You can generate a deed poll dated at anytime apparently.

unsure

Post by unsure » Tue May 31, 2016 4:02 pm

please anyone give me advice?

im really scared and anxious now.

Why the solicitors tell me I dont need to correct the certificate?

Im really scared now i am almost crying :(

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Tue May 31, 2016 10:54 pm

Don't overreact...not sure why you are scared, there is nothing to be scared about.
You are a British Citizen and whether or not you want to have your certificate corrected is ultimately up to you but as I said I think it's better just in case. Not saying anything terrible will happen if you don't do it but it's always better to have your records in order and the correct spelling on all documents.

unsure

Post by unsure » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:19 am

^ thing is when I renewed my passport for an adult one in 2004 I requested the passport office to change the spelling of my name to how it is on my birth certificate. And they just did it without asking for any evidence or anything.

I have ocd and a fear based mental illness.

I'm always scared something bad will happen to me. I've been like this for years. I'm seeing a therapist :( I'm really sorry for bothering you with this.

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:20 pm

I would not bother amending registration certificate if you have everything else in order (i.e. passport and birth certificate).

And don't be anxious my friend. This is not a big issue to warrant any sort of worry. Take care.

unsure

Post by unsure » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Anyone please advise me or give opinion

I spoke to a solicitor about this and she said it is better for me to amend my certificate with the home office in case i have future passport applications rejected or they demand i get the certificate corrected....

However, I spoke to the passport office about this and explained everything to them...they told me i can just do a deed poll which states that I changed my name in 2004 and that will be fine as evidence..IN CASE they ask for it.

Is the solicitor just making a mountain out of a molehill in order to take money from me? She wants to charge me 500 pounds to do it for me.

PLEASE ANYONE HELP?!?!?

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:31 pm

Mate - I would not waste my money. There is no need for reg certificate once you have a British passport. That is proof enough that you are a citizen. Don't be bullied by these "solicitors" who are readily wanting to "siphon" your money! All the best

unsure

Post by unsure » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:41 pm

^She did demand money and then told me ''I cant advise you anymore more im afraid'' when I told her about me doing a deed poll.

I think im going to ignore what she said.

The passport office told me they were more relaxed in 2004 and they can make minor name changes regardless.

But do you think I should do a deed poll as explained above?

I greatly appreciate your advice man

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:33 pm

You won't need a deed poll until you want to use that registration certificate for something. The deed poll will certify your name was "XXX (as per reg certificate)" but now is "YYY (as per passport)".

HOWEVER, as far as I know, the registration certificate is just a piece of "jewellery" and is really not useful anymore. It is needed to obtain a first passport. But after that, it becomes literally an ordinary piece of paper. For passport renewals, you just need to furnish your existing passport. To prove your citizenship, the passport is enough.

So I would just relax and not worry about what these so-called solicitors are telling you.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:39 am

A problem is that a British passport doesn't confer British citizenship, but a Registration certificate does.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

unsure

Post by unsure » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:24 am

^Back in 2004 (when I changed the spelling on my passport to as It is on my birth certificate) I didn't have any records. My only ID was the child passport. (With the spelling mistake).

What I'm really concerned about isn't the certificate itself because...but the passport spelling change in 2004 to which the passport guys did without asking for any evidence (I did a photo counter signature which I think was enough for them at that time? )

IF they ask for evidence in the future of the passport name change....what am I going to show them?

That was my main concern....which is why I'm asking if I shoukd do a deed poll which declares thid name change. (The passport office told me I can just do a deed poll and it will be acceptable as evidence, they also told me they were more relaxed about minor name changes in 2004)

I have renewed my passport twice since 2004 and they have never asked to see the certificate of registration. Nor ever asked for evidence of the name change. But I want to do one just in case in the future they ask for one.

Nobody ever in my life (I'm in my 30s now) has ever asked to see the certificate of registration)

This is my only concern. It is strange that the same solicitor gives me contradictory advice...2 years ago she told me I don't need the certificate anymore....This year she's demanding money.

This is it

unsure

Post by unsure » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:19 pm

Just spoke to the passport office again by phone.

They told me I can either do a deed poll OR get my certificate amended as future evidence....If required.

Which one do I do?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:31 pm

unsure wrote:Just spoke to the passport office again by phone.

They told me I can either do a deed poll OR get my certificate amended as future evidence....If required.

Which one do I do?
You cannot rely on advice from a helpline, you have nothing in writing from an authorised official.

You cannot backdate a deed poll.

You can draw up your own deed poll if you wish.
But its not clear how that helps if, as you say, it is the registration certificate that contains a typo and is the document that is incorrect.

As you say, your genuine name is already correctly shown on your birth certificate, driver's license & etc. And that is the name that you use.

There is no evidence this anomaly has ever caused you any difficulties with officialdom;
you seem to have a long history of being issued with passports.

To get an official answer suggest write to HO. Then you will get an official answer.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

unsure

Post by unsure » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:35 pm

Do you mean I can do my own deed poll as evidence of a passed name change?

If I can't backdate it...would it still be acceptable evidence?

I'm feeling really scared now.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:39 pm

unsure wrote:Do you mean I can do my own deed poll as evidence of a passed name change?

If I can't backdate it...would it still be acceptable evidence?

I'm feeling really scared now.
Anyone can write a deed poll. But not sure it helps here.

Its nothing to be scared about. Its a typo. You are not in trouble.

I have suggested you write to the HO department that issued the registration certificate.
That is a positive step to take, rather than just keeping worrying and worrying some more.
You may then get an official answer.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

unsure

Post by unsure » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:42 pm

I'll just do what my solicitor advises and just amend the damn certificate.

Realistically it will probably take 6 months for them to do it for me...so that will be 6 months of me in constant anxiety. :x