ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English requirement - ILR. Confusing suggestions - URGENT

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

smilealways
Newly Registered

English requirement - ILR. Confusing suggestions - URGENT

Post by smilealways » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi,

I am confused on the English language requirement. I have read the FAQs but do not have a clear answer for this.

Am applying for ILR very soon based on 5 year Tier 1 General visa route. Originally when I got T1 in June 2011, I have used my Indian degree to claim English language points, which was approved and also similarly during extension in 2013. Now the guidelines seems to say that either NARIC or B1 is required.

However, a friend of mine (in similar situation) spoke to his lawyer and he said "SINCE YOU HAVE ALREADY PROVED ENGLISH LANGUAGE IN EARLIER VISA APPLICATIONS, YOU DO NOT NEED NARIC CERTIFICATE OR B1 TEST". He has suggested the guy to append his original Indian certificate, and the PBS calculator he used in 2011 to claim English language points.

This has confused me a lot and not sure what is best way to proceed. B1 test result would take time and also money.

Anyone has any experience/approval or idea of how to proceed.

Thanks a lot in advance

smilealways
Newly Registered

Re: English requirement - ILR. Confusing suggestions - URGEN

Post by smilealways » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:30 pm

Also I have read the croydon office response on this link
http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 10331.html

But still there is no confirmation that this has been successful in a case. Some other commenters also mention the confusion.

Please if someone has experience or got his/her ILR approval on basis of this - let us know here for the benefit of all the members

sagan

Post by sagan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:50 am

I know a friend who got his using the printout from Points Based System. Also Degree outside of UK. No NARIC or any tests. As per the guidance, I dont think this is mentioned as proof of English, so I would probably make sure I had what they requested, but I agree, it is expensive and time consuming, and probably not really fair to have to get that after having Tier 1 English approval already. If you not going to, take the points based calculator with you.

smilealways
Newly Registered

Post by smilealways » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:01 am

sagan wrote:I know a friend who got his using the printout from Points Based System. Also Degree outside of UK. No NARIC or any tests. As per the guidance, I dont think this is mentioned as proof of English, so I would probably make sure I had what they requested, but I agree, it is expensive and time consuming, and probably not really fair to have to get that after having Tier 1 English approval already. If you not going to, take the points based calculator with you.

Thanks Sagan. Do you know when your friend got his ILR, as that would help in understanding

Thanks again

kautya

Post by kautya » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:09 am

Points based calculator is now closed and print out from the same cannot be used anymore from what I know.

smilealways
Newly Registered

Post by smilealways » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:01 pm

kautya wrote:Points based calculator is now closed and print out from the same cannot be used anymore from what I know.
Thats the confusion Kautya....since here the Question is whether you can use the fact that HO approved your claim for English language earlier (which can be proved by previously used calculator at the time of application). The key here is the time it will take to get the B1 result in my case, but sure clarity should help many of the other members both in terms of time and money.

Any comments from someone with recent experience of approval based on international degree should help

kautya

Post by kautya » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:29 pm

smilealways wrote:
kautya wrote:Points based calculator is now closed and print out from the same cannot be used anymore from what I know.
Thats the confusion Kautya....since here the Question is whether you can use the fact that HO approved your claim for English language earlier (which can be proved by previously used calculator at the time of application). The key here is the time it will take to get the B1 result in my case, but sure clarity should help many of the other members both in terms of time and money.

Any comments from someone with recent experience of approval based on international degree should help
If your previous application was based on an international degree then you will need a UK NARIC certificate. As per the following link there is no exception to it:
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/exemptions

smilealways
Newly Registered

Post by smilealways » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks Kautya

But this link mentions something else too...
indefinite-leave-to-remain/ilr-need-your-help-t210331.html

and also as I mentioned a friend got that suggestion from his lawyer. So again think any verification from successful applicants or may be detail of issue for unsuccessful applications may help....

sagan

Post by sagan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:16 pm

It was a few weeks ago. I have read on these forums that there is no requirement for acceptance of point based and as said above it is now closed, so may be difficult to get anyway.
Would recommend ticking the boxes on the form as necessary, however painful and expensive it may be.