ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

when to take Life in UK test

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PaulM

when to take Life in UK test

Post by PaulM » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:48 am

Hi,

I am curious to know whether I would be able to take the test now, or to wait untill the fourth year of my visa (the rational being to get this out of the way while I still have time to devote attention to it on its own).

Regards
Paul

JAJ
Australia

Re: when to take Life in UK test

Post by JAJ » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:55 am

PaulM wrote:Hi,

I am curious to know whether I would be able to take the test now, or to wait untill the fourth year of my visa (the rational being to get this out of the way while I still have time to devote attention to it on its own).

Regards
Paul
You can take the test whenever you like as far as I know. Just keep your proof of passing in a safe place.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:20 am

I do it now, any tidbit you don't know you will findout upfront instead of studying to prove info that you learned on the way.
Also I think they still don't charge VAT but that will change
Third, prices go up every year so why wait to pay more.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:50 am

Yes I agree do it now, as it has no expirey date and it will only become more expensive and maybe more complicated in the future.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:48 am

Siggi wrote:Yes I agree do it now, as it has no expirey date and it will only become more expensive and maybe more complicated in the future.
Maybe, but I'd call your attention to the following article published by one of the members on the citizenship review panel. Granted it's still early days, but it looks like the Life in the UK test may undergo several changes over the next few years. As recommended on pages 12-14, it appears that one possibility is that migrants with already high levels of English would submit a portfolio of "good citizenship behaviour" during an interview in addition to or instead of the test.

Again, this is still being mooted. But I think the OP just recently arrived in the UK. In five years, the whole process for ILR and naturalisation may be entirely different. That might make a test pass from 2008 a good learning experience perhaps, but procedurally irrelevant.

Link to the referred article:
http://www.justice.gov.uk/docs/becoming-a-citizen.pdf

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:24 am

Thanks for all of your input. I will do the test and get it over with. If at a future time I need to jump another hurdle so be it.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:28 am

A few friends, who are Doctors and Dentist recently immigrated to
New Zealand, where they have had to write a 200 word esay in English, to prove that they have sufficient English language skill to live and work in NZ.
This is what I call a proper test, if you really insist on a language test.
The UK Life Test is a waste of time in my opinion.

remontado
Newly Registered

Post by remontado » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:54 am

SYH wrote:I do it now, any tidbit you don't know you will findout upfront instead of studying to prove info that you learned on the way.
Also I think they still don't charge VAT but that will change
Third, prices go up every year so why wait to pay more.
Great planning :wink: