ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse passport name change after EC - pros and cons

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hsmppune

Post by hsmppune » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi Forum,

I got my EC stamped for 2 years yesterday. Along with it came my wife's EC who has applied as my dependant.

Now this is my situation, my wifes passport is in her maiden name. Also my name is not present in the spouse section of her passport. Looking at the visa stampings i feel we might have some issues at immigration.

To play safe I am planning to:

1) Get my wifes name changed on her passport to her married name
2) Get my name on the spouse section of the passport

Both these will require a new passport to be issued, with a new passport number too.

I have the following apprehensions in this regard:

1) How will the new passport handle her existing visa? Since her visa will now be in her maiden name, and the passport in married name will this cause any problems later on?

2) With a new passport booklet a new passport number will also be generated for her. Will she face any problems because all previous communications of all sorts are with her previous passport number?

Any pointers on other pros and cons of getting this done would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
Hsmppune

raviktiwari
Newly Registered

Post by raviktiwari » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:52 pm

That's a great questions HSMP Pune... I had the same confussion and was planning to post it here... but now I will not start another thread.

To start with - I think people who are already in UK can answer this best. Let us not post anything here that says: "I assume" or "I think". This is a sensitive matter and lets get the REAL FACTS....

I would request the people who have already reached UK with their wife's maiden name and spouse name not endorsed on their passport to answer the following questions in detail:

1.> Were you able to enter easily?
2.> Were you asked anything to prove that you are married to each other?
3.> Do you face any problem on daily basis related to your dependent's identity?
4.> Does anyone ask you anything related to this?
5.> If no, why and if yes what do they ask you?
6.> When they ask you such questions, what do you answer and do they agree/believe you?
7.> Has there been any incident where it got problematic for you? e.g: Job search/offer, opening a bank account for your dependent, during police patrolling and so on?

I hope their will be even more questions, but this is just a pointer. So if anyone has anything more to add to this to explain the best practice - please feel free to do so.

The sooner the better. Specially for people applying for EC. For HSMP aspirant it will anyways be a boon in disguise..

Thanks and Regards,
"Ravi"

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:29 pm

Guys,

1> There is no need to worry. There will be no problems during immigration. Do carry you marriage certificate though.

We had absolutely no problem even though my wife had a different last name to mine.

All that matters is the visa. Make sure the EC has the correct details corresponding to the passport like PP number, DOB etc both yours and your spouse's.

2> We were asked nothing to prove that we were married

3> No problems whatsoever

4> Not even once has anybody asked us why our last names were different. You need to understand that in UK, if you live together and if someone is your dependant she need not necessarily be your wife, she could be a living partner in which case she need not carry your last name.
In fact in UK same sex marriages are legal.

5> I think my answer to your question 4 has answered this as well. Also these are considered personal here in the UK and it's indecent to ask such questions.

6> look at my answers for 4 & 5

7> There have been no incidents where this has proved problematic to us. Neither in job, nor in opening bank account or registering with NHS, getting our NI number, driver's license, applying for credit card, mortgage or travel.

Yes only 1 incident I remember, when our baby was born the hospital nurse asked if they write in the red book (which is record maintained by hospitals during maternity and delivery), if they put in as "infant my last name" or "Infant my wife's last name" for which I answered "infant my last name"

Hope the above answers all your questions......

hsmppune

Post by hsmppune » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:56 am

Thanks Ravi and SKUK,

Other senior members please comment on your experiences about the same.

Regards
hsmppune