ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Home Office approval letter not received

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

friendlybrit
Newly Registered

Home Office approval letter not received

Post by friendlybrit » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:38 pm

A family member applied for citizenship late last year. She rang the home office for an update after 3 months and was refused an update due to being within the 6 month waiting period. Now, after the 6 month period is up, it appears the application was approved 2 months after submission, but the approval letter was never received and the 90 day period for attending the citizenship ceremony has passed so the application may have to be resubmitted.

Sigh.

A written request for an extension has been submitted (following the guidelines here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n-v6_0.pdf). Fingers crossed that discretion applies here; otherwise this might be a judicial review type situation. The process really is ridiculous...

noajthan

Re: Home Office approval letter not received

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:18 am

friendlybrit wrote:A family member applied for citizenship late last year. She rang the home office for an update after 3 months and was refused an update due to being within the 6 month waiting period. Now, after the 6 month period is up, it appears the application was approved 2 months after submission, but the approval letter was never received and the 90 day period for attending the citizenship ceremony has passed so the application may have to be resubmitted.

Sigh.

A written request for an extension has been submitted (following the guidelines here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n-v6_0.pdf). Fingers crossed that discretion applies here; otherwise this might be a judicial review type situation. The process really is ridiculous...
According to the admin guidance. if the applicant was a no-show they should have had a follow up letter asking them to explain their absence.
Did you receive that second letter?
If an applicant does not attend a citizenship ceremony within the 90 day time limit, the local authority will notify CCST. CCST will then write out to the applicant for an explanation as to why they did not attend the ceremony. If a reasonable explanation is provided CCST will look to extend the deadline (see 6.11.22.6).
I can't find the post now but I seem to recall another member reporting a similar lack of notification recently.
I think I remember they reported that were granted their citizenship in the end, (after going through a follow up similar to yours).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ali45

Post by ali45 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:31 am

Hi mate I am also waiting for my approval as its has more then 3months now as all of my friends got there approvals we applied at same time i called HO and they said that its only 3months now but dnt know might be they approved my app as i did change my postal address and informed OH about the change also got redirection to my previous address.its straight farword app still waiting
noajthan wrote:
friendlybrit wrote:A family member applied for citizenship late last year. She rang the home office for an update after 3 months and was refused an update due to being within the 6 month waiting period. Now, after the 6 month period is up, it appears the application was approved 2 months after submission, but the approval letter was never received and the 90 day period for attending the citizenship ceremony has passed so the application may have to be resubmitted.

Sigh.

According to the admin guidance. if the applicant was a no-show they should have had a follow up letter asking them to explain their absence.
Did you receive that second letter?
If an applicant does not attend a citizenship ceremony within the 90 day time limit, the local authority will notify CCST. CCST will then write out to the applicant for an explanation as to why they did not attend the ceremony. If a reasonable explanation is provided CCST will look to extend the deadline (see 6.11.22.6).
I can't find the post now but I seem to recall another member reporting a similar lack of notification recently.
I think I remember they reported that were granted their citizenship in the end, (after going through a follow up similar to yours).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:13 am

noajthan wrote:I can't find the post now but I seem to recall another member reporting a similar lack of notification recently.
Is it this one below?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 09520.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:46 am

CR001 wrote:
noajthan wrote:I can't find the post now but I seem to recall another member reporting a similar lack of notification recently.
Is it this one below?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 09520.html
Yes, indeed, thanks.

It should reassure OP of British sense of fair play:.
... finally got the approval letter, 4 months after the initial decision was made

friendlybrit
Newly Registered

Post by friendlybrit » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:56 pm

To answer the questions above: no home office letter was received.

The link to the post by another person in a similar situation is similar, but in their case there was a clear error (the Home Office wrongly addressed the letter) whereas here it seems the letter(s) were correctly addressed, but just never arrived.

Hopefully this gets resolved fairly quickly without too many more kafka-esque hoops to jump through.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:06 pm

friendlybrit wrote:To answer the questions above: no home office letter was received.

The link to the post by another person in a similar situation is similar, but in their case there was a clear error (the Home Office wrongly addressed the letter) whereas here it seems the letter(s) were correctly addressed, but just never arrived.

Hopefully this gets resolved fairly quickly without too many more kafka-esque hoops to jump through.
Indeed.
And despite the HO guidance, no second follow-up letter was issued - or if it was it got equally lost.

friendlybrit
Newly Registered

Post by friendlybrit » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:17 am

As an update and to give other people who are in the same situation some hope, I can confirm the Home Office was happy to re-issue the approval letter with a new 90 day period. The ceremony has now been attended, and citizenship obtained. It took about 3 weeks from appealing to receiving the updated letter.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:38 pm

friendlybrit wrote:As an update and to give other people who are in the same situation some hope, I can confirm the Home Office was happy to re-issue the approval letter with a new 90 day period. The ceremony has now been attended, and citizenship obtained. It took about 3 weeks from appealing to receiving the updated letter.
That's nicely encouraging :)