ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

when are we eligible for Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

projectile
Newly Registered

when are we eligible for Naturalisation

Post by projectile » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi
My question is when can I apply for Naturalisation for myself, my son and wife.
Which is the best route for earliest application of naturalisation? as we plan to visit family abroad soon.

Main application:
T1G Visa started from: June 2010
Entered UK : July 2010
Got ILR : July 2015 (in 5 years)

Wife:
T1G Dependent started from: July/Aug 2011
Entered UK : October 2011
Got ILR : July 2015 (in approx 4 years)

Son 1:
Born in India April 2013
Entered UK : July 2013
Got ILR : July 2015 (in 2 years and few months).

Son 2:
Born in Aug 2015, born british, so has passport now.

So now I can apply for naturalisation in July 2017 as I have finished 5 years residence requirement.

When can i apply for naturalisation for my wife and son? Do I have to wait for their 5 years to be done? Or can I just finish my application and then apply for wife under the 3 year rule?

Thanks

noajthan

Re: when are we eligible for Naturalisation

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:14 pm

projectile wrote:Hi
My question is when can I apply for Naturalisation for myself, my son and wife.
Which is the best route for earliest application of naturalisation? as we plan to visit family abroad soon.

Main application:
T1G Visa started from: June 2010
Entered UK : July 2010
Got ILR : July 2015 (in 5 years)

Wife:
T1G Dependent started from: July/Aug 2011
Entered UK : October 2011
Got ILR : July 2015 (in approx 4 years)

Son 1:
Born in India April 2013
Entered UK : July 2013
Got ILR : July 2015 (in 2 years and few months).

So now I can apply for naturalisation in July 2017 as I have finished 5 years residence requirement.

When can i apply for naturalisation for my wife and son? Do I have to wait for their 5 years to be done? Or can I just finish my application and then apply for wife under the 3 year rule?

Thanks
You: July 2016 (not 2017).

Wife: October 2016
or yes, wait for you to succeed then naturalise as a spouse under s 6(2) of BNA; (3 years residence).

Minor (under 18): register (not naturalise) at Home Secretary's discretion under s 3(1) of BNA; anytime after parents naturalise.

Ensure each adult applicant was physically present in UK 5 (/3) years before date of application (to the day).

Don't book travel yet - it could take up to 6 months or more to naturalise/register;
then passports are separate applications after that.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

projectile
Newly Registered

Post by projectile » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:32 pm

thanks a lot for clearing my doubts

projectile
Newly Registered

Post by projectile » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:54 pm

noajthan wrote: You: July 2016 (not 2017).

Wife: October 2016
or yes, wait for you to succeed then naturalise as a spouse under s 6(2) of BNA; (3 years residence).

Minor (under 18): register (not naturalise) at Home Secretary's discretion under s 3(1) of BNA; anytime after parents naturalise.

Ensure each adult applicant was physically present in UK 5 (/3) years before date of application (to the day).

Don't book travel yet - it could take up to 6 months or more to naturalise/register;
then passports are separate applications after that.
Thanks for your response.
I applied in Aug, and got the response today that my application is successful. Now I have to wait until the ceremony invitation letter arrives and I get my citizenship certificate.

My question now:
For my wife:
Can I apply for her now, as my spouse under 3 year rule? Am I technically british citizen now as my naturalisation application is accepted or do I have to wait until I attend ceremony and get citizenship certificate to apply for my wife under 3 year rule?
Actually, to speed up matter (and not wait for my ceremony ..etc), my wife has also completed 5 years (came to UK in Oct 2011), so I can also apply for her independently, is this better option?

For my Son 1:
You mentioned to get him registered. I can see there is MN1 form. I am thinking of sending his MN1 form along with my wife's application under 5 year rule. So their application will be independent of mine. Is that ok? or Should I fill my son's application under my name (in Section 3 page 11 of MN1 form).

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:58 pm

projectile wrote:Thanks for your response.
I applied in Aug, and got the response today that my application is successful. Now I have to wait until the ceremony invitation letter arrives and I get my citizenship certificate.

My question now:
For my wife:
Can I apply for her now, as my spouse under 3 year rule? NO you are not yet BritishAm I technically british citizen now as my naturalisation application is accepted or do I have to wait until I attend ceremony and get citizenship certificate to apply for my wife under 3 year rule? Yes, you are only British once you attend the ceremony
Actually, to speed up matter (and not wait for my ceremony ..etc), my wife has also completed 5 years (came to UK in Oct 2011), so I can also apply for her independently, is this better option? Yes, your choice provided she meets all the standard requirements.

For my Son 1:
You mentioned to get him registered. I can see there is MN1 form. I am thinking of sending his MN1 form along with my wife's application under 5 year rule. So their application will be independent of mine. There is no 'British Citizen Dependent Citizenship application'. Each applicant applies individually and has to meet the requirements individually. But yes, son and wife can apply at the same time.Is that ok? or Should I fill my son's application under my name (in Section 3 page 11 of MN1 form). Both parents have to sign the form anyway, it makes no difference whose name you put.

Thanks
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

projectile
Newly Registered

Post by projectile » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:32 pm

Thanks,

I have question on Section 3 of MN1 Form.

MN1 Guide says :
SECTION 3: PARENTS’ RESIDENCE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM OR THE BRITISH
OVERSEAS TERRITORIES, WHERE APPLICABLE.
If the application is in respect of a child born abroad, to parents who are British
citizens by descent under section 3 (2) or 3 (5) you should complete this section,
otherwise go straight to Section 4: Good Character.

Section 3(2)
To qualify under this section, the parent who is British by descent must have been
born to a parent who was a British citizen otherwise than by descent (or if that
person died, then they would have been a British citizen otherwise than by descent
but for their death).

Section 3 (5)
To qualify under this section the child and their mother and father should have lived in
the UK (or British overseas territory (see page 8) if born after 21 May 2002) for a
three year period ending with the date the application is received. And the child and
their parents should be physically present in the UK or a British overseas territory at
the start of that period.

We do not fall under Section 3 (2), but I think my son will fall under Section 3(5) as we are both Indian citizens still when this application will be sent, and he is 3 years and 7 months now, and born abroad and came to UK when he was 2 months. Do I have to fill Section 3? or is it not for me.

Thanks

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:41 pm

projectile wrote:Thanks,

Section 3 (5)
To qualify under this section the child and their mother and father should have lived in
the UK (or British overseas territory (see page 8) if born after 21 May 2002) for a
three year period ending with the date the application is received. And the child and
their parents should be physically present in the UK or a British overseas territory at
the start of that period.

We do not fall under Section 3 (2), but I think my son will fall under Section 3(5) as we are both Indian citizens still when this application will be sent, and he is 3 years and 7 months now, and born abroad and came to UK when he was 2 months. Do I have to fill Section 3? or is it not for me.

Thanks
Are you British by descent :?:

projectile
Newly Registered

Post by projectile » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:09 pm

No we are not British by descent.
We have been Indian all through out.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:13 am

projectile wrote:No we are not British by descent.
We have been Indian all through out.
So section 3(2) and 3(5) of BNA are not options for you.

projectile
Newly Registered

Post by projectile » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:42 am

Thanks, but what do I do now? Does this mean I do not need to fill Section 3 of MN1 form!

regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:47 am

You only complete sections that apply to you. The form is used for many routes to BC for children.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.