ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to UK from March through May???

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cdraina

Moving to UK from March through May???

Post by cdraina » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:30 am

Hi folks,

As the hiring season kicks off in this new year a lot of us look forward to moving to the UK in search of new opportunities. Many of us have friends/relatives in the UK to support our UK Dream.

Many others would be sailing into the un-chartered waters on their own. Instead of sailing alone in individual small boats, it would definitely be better to make a team and sail together on this ship of aspirations.

I invite ideas from people moving to UK around Mar-May. Please feel free to express yourself in this regard.

Cheers!
CD

reincarnation

Post by reincarnation » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:37 am

i'm targeting last week of feb/first week of march

cdraina

Post by cdraina » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:51 am

Hi dude,

what are your accomotation plans?

do you have a job offer? If not would you be staying in London ?

Any interviews lined up?

What's your work area and where are you from??

I don't have any accomodation plans as of now. Got a couple of telephonic interviews lined up. If I don't get a job soon I will move to London for job search. I am from Mumbai-India and I work in financial sector.

reincarnation

Post by reincarnation » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:03 pm

Accomodation plans: Have to still think abt it. May be some motels or hostels initially till I find a job

Job offers:Nil. All the consultants are asking me to be present physically to take up the interviews...I would consider staying in london for atleast a couple of weeks and see how things go.

I'm frm Bangalore and I work in the field of Hardware Design Engineering

andy2007

Post by andy2007 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi,

I plan to move to UK in Feb. I too have some telephonic interviews lined up. One consultant told me that Recruitment starts in first quarter of year in UK.

Hey reincarnation,

I am also in the similar field. Any idea where in UK is the hub for embedded companies? With my research so far, I think it is cambridge.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy

pavankeerthi
Newly Registered

Post by pavankeerthi » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:44 pm

cdrain,

i completely agree with your thought.its better to prepare in team than struggling individually.

I am targetting March 1st Week.I am looking at Lodon primarily(Though Initially i thought other way around).

Have no accomodation finalised. Looking for 2-3 member team to share a individual house.

Thanks
Pavan

reincarnation

Post by reincarnation » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:47 pm

Guess a better idea is for us to come together and look out for some sort of accomodation for the initial stay...Then depending on who gets job where, we can plan to move out...

Andy..for electronics, its Stevenage esp..embedded and hardware...

suresh-hsmp

Post by suresh-hsmp » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:23 pm

Hi,
I live and work in cambridge as IC design engineer and if you guys need any accomdation help for your intial days, may be i could help. please PM if you need any info.

cdraina

Post by cdraina » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi friends,

Thanks for the reply and enthusiasm.

"Accomodation sharing" could be a very good starting point. Ofcourse that will also help the group to share travel (taxi) and food expenses.

kmehta

Post by kmehta » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:37 pm

I am also thinking to travel in march with my wife. but no idea of accomodation and job search till.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:12 pm

Kmehta,

I suggest you come alone to UK till u get a job..If u r alone u can stay in a shard accomodation with other ppl ,but if u bring your wife it might be difficult to share a house with other unknown people...Once u get a job/settle down call your wife..

Ashish

arsenalsri

Post by arsenalsri » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:02 pm

I am planning to go for my EC later this month and then plan to fly out some time in March, if all goes well with the EC. I don't have any interviews lined up, I am thinking of going to London and then searching for jobs in the field of Information Security

cdraina

Post by cdraina » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:32 am

KMehta,

I totally agree with Ashish. It will work out much efficient if you are alone when searching for a Job in the UK.

Ofcourse you may have your circumstances and may have enough funds. Or you may have a job offer in hand.

But generally speaking its better to come alone and then call the family once you have secured a job.

Looks like a lot of people traveling in March to the UK. All targeting London (Initially) lets gang up and keep in touch. May be we can collaborate on travel and accomodation plans.

Cheers!
CD

reincarnation

Post by reincarnation » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:44 am

yep..sure its gonna help

chetanamale@gmail.com

Post by chetanamale@gmail.com » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:44 am

yes its a good idea...I'm too planing to land in UK between march-may time frame...it would be even better if we share our job search plans/tactics...everyone can atleast share list of job search agencies/consultants etc...it will be of great help..

chetanamale@gmail.com

Post by chetanamale@gmail.com » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:48 am

yes its a good idea...I'm too planing to land in UK between march-may time frame...it would be even better if we share our job search plans/tactics...everyone can atleast share list of job search agencies/consultants etc...it will be of great help..

arsenalsri

Post by arsenalsri » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:49 am

How about forming some kind of yahoo or google group so that we can share our plans without disturbing the others on the board?

kmehta

Post by kmehta » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:33 am

thanks, we thought it initially to come one person first. and yes, circumstances r different for me. like both of us r engg. and have equal opportunity to get job. anyone can get job first!! so we have to take this risk to come together.

vidya

Post by vidya » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:41 am

Guys , instead of taking this thread to a seperate google groups , it will be really helpful for the rest of us if you share the details here , please.

My husband is an embedded telecom engineer ( protocol stack developer) and i am a chartered accountant - please do share list of relevant recruitment consultants.

Ashishashah , i see that you stay in staines - this is where my sister lives ( staines , surrey) and where we plan to stay for initial month . Please suggest recruitment consultants who are good in and around staines

Thanks everyone , i will post whatever information i have to keep the exchange mutual.

Daslimy1

Post by Daslimy1 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:54 am

Please check my post on the usual Dec EC thread...thought it might be helpful...

Cheers!
Everything comes to an end eventully...

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:28 am

Vidya,

Saw your reply to my posting in another thread...Yes, i stay in Staines..guess u will be fine if u stay with your sister...Well, in UK there are no local job consultants..You need to go through jobserve.com,cwjobs.co.uk

Ashish

vidya

Post by vidya » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:10 pm

thanks for the response , ashish. Will post my updates soon.

kmehta

Post by kmehta » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:11 am

also lets list out what should be take along with us on priority?
like grocerty, cloths, accessories, etc..?
also cheap flight tickets should be find out.

tomkin

Post by tomkin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:36 am

kmehta wrote:also lets list out what should be take along with us on priority?
like grocerty, cloths, accessories, etc..?
also cheap flight tickets should be find out.
Grocery ?????? Are you giong to alaska :o
No need for that, as it would only add your luggage weight.
You get everything from Vicco Vajardanti to Kayam Churan. I mean you get everything here. If you are thinking of saving initial costs, its not worth getting rice and daal from there.

Get some nice formal clothes and warm clothing instead.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:46 am

Remember, u r allowed only 25 KG as check in and 7 kg as hand luggage (unlike US where u can carry 72 +8=80 KG)