ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post Referendum / Residence Card

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sp84

Post Referendum / Residence Card

Post by sp84 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi everyone,

My wife and I arrived in the UK last Tuesday (14th June) - I am an Irish citizen and my wife is an American. We arrived on an EEA Family Permit, valid from June 1st - Dec 1st 2016. Even though I have only been in the UK a grand total of 7 days - I am panicking that I should apply for my wife's residence card before the referendum this Thursday! The only way I can show that I am a qualified person, is as self-sufficient (not working yet) with CSI. I can also apply as a job seeker, although this portion of the application will be weakest. I am hoping that a strong self-sufficient application combined with an "in-progess" job seeker application, will be enough to satisfy the requirements.

Just curious to see what you all think ... Should I wait and use my 3 month grace period before applying, seeing as I have literally just arrived? Should I get the application lodged ASAP? or should I stop worrying haha!

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Post Referendum / Residence Card

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:05 pm

Whatever the result of the referendum, nothing's going to change overnight!
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Being a cautious person, I would suggest erring on the side of caution and applying before the referendum. That way, your wife's application would be covered by any transitional arrangements if any rules were to change.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:31 pm

haha 2 totally different answers :lol: I know that there is a huge element of the unknown regarding "what comes next"

I just wish there was some clarity regarding people currently involved in the EEA Application process - as in theory, EEA Family Permits are able to be issued until AT LEAST Thursday/Friday of this week. Plus their valid until date last 6 months :?

Simon - do you mind letting me know (regarding the last PM that I sent you) - if my course of action sounds sensible (taking into considering £ amounts etc)?

Thanks!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:40 pm

sp84 wrote:haha 2 totally different answers :lol: I know that there is a huge element of the unknown regarding "what comes next"

Thanks!
Only 2.
If you'd tried the helpline twice you'd probably have got 3 :wink:
And have been kept on hold for 20 minutes.
And have been put through to somewhere like the Fish Health Inspectorate by mistake :roll:
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:50 pm

I am not so well-versed in the financial requirements of these applications and I would urge you to post your query (suitably edited) in this thread for others to comment and advise.

Re my earlier post, I am cautious, assume that things will go wrong and have a Plan B for my Plan B, and assume the narrowest possible interpretation of the law. That way, if it is interpreted more broadly, I still get what I want.
noajthan wrote:Only 2.
If you'd tried the helpline twice you'd probably have got 3 :wink:
And have been kept on hold for 20 minutes.
And have been put through to somewhere like the Fish Health Inspectorate by mistake :roll:
There is a joke about putting 3 members of the community from which I hail in a room and ending up with four political parties. The Home Office phone line must be staffed by members from my community :D
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Thanks everyone - I am compiling the application packet right now, meeting a solicitor tomorrow for review and if he feels it has a strong chance of success - I guess I will be posting it off!

I would just like to have been told from the powers that be - regardless of the outcome of the vote, that current EEA applications would continue down their normal route and that all applications from X date - are in accordance with the changes being brought in.

Suppose it is what it is though :(