ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student visa from South Africa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sp3ctre

Student visa from South Africa

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:57 am

My girlfriend is looking to come over from South Africa on a student visa. She has a very good job over there and owns property. The thing is, in order to come over here she is looking to sell the house.

Does selling the house work in her favour i.e. frees up funds to pay fully for 3 year study or does it look bad in that she has no reason to return afterwards?

Thanks,

Jim

sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:14 pm

I am also a little confused as to how best to apply. Does it go in her favour that we are together and she can live with me for free, or does that look bad in the case of the reason for coming over?

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi,

It has been a long time since I have applied for a student visa, but I believe the rules for obtaining student visa wouldn't have changed much. She should have sufficient ties in south africa to convince the immigration officer that she will return back once she completes with her studies. This would mean having a property or hold a firm job offer in south africa that she can continue when she returns back. She should focus on obtaining a student visa solely to study and not the purpose of settlement...alteast the immigration office should have reasons to believe this based on the documentation that your girlfriend provides.

Secondly, if you are going to accomodate her then you will have to write a sponsorship letter. However, immigration officer might raise a question such as what would she do if you both split up? Will she have enough funds to accomodate herself? she should be prepared to answer all these questions.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:08 pm

If it is a degree course then she need not worry about intent to return.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!