ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation and gardening leave

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cordelia
Newly Registered

Naturalisation and gardening leave

Post by cordelia » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi,

New here, wondering if someone can help me with this.

Spanish, working in the City, living here for 12 years, have DCPR and can apply for British citizenship in a couple of week's time.

I have been offered a new, better job, but this means I would be on gardening leave for 6 months and then have a further 6 months of restrictions, so won't start with the new employer until the summer of 2017.

Is it a problem to apply for it when on gardening leave (I will be still receiving a salary from my current employer) or during the restrictions period, when I will be self-sufficient (savings and a lump sum). I have private healthcare not related to my employment.

It is a great job and I'm looking forward to a gap year (I'll be doing voluntary work with a charity) but I do not know if this situation could be a problem...

Thanks,
Cordelia

LilyLalilu

Re: Naturalisation and gardening leave

Post by LilyLalilu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:51 pm

Not problem. After you have PR you can do what you like as long as you are not absent from the UK for too long. Employment is not a requirement for naturalisation.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

cordelia
Newly Registered

Post by cordelia » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:55 pm

LilyLalilu wrote:Not problem. After you have PR you can do what you like as long as you are not absent from the UK for too long. Employment is not a requirement for naturalisation.
So in the form I just can say I am employed by xxx but I am currently on gardening leave and will start employment at zzz on this date...

Would I have to submit any documents?

Thanks a lot!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:10 pm

cordelia wrote:So in the form I just can say I am employed by xxx but I am currently on gardening leave and will start employment at zzz on this date...

Would I have to submit any documents?

Thanks a lot!
It is employment history that is requested not proposed employment for the future.

Simply state employed (plus brief details - job title etc) if you currently have a job/employer.
Put unemployed - if you do not.

No documents are required.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

cordelia
Newly Registered

Post by cordelia » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:26 pm

Thanks, noajthan, much appreciated.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:19 am

cordelia wrote:Thanks, noajthan, much appreciated.
:arrow: Correction , the new AN guidance intimates that proof of NI contributions is required- for full history :!:

Check latest guidance booklet.

cordelia
Newly Registered

Post by cordelia » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:26 am

Proof of NI contributions... For all the years I have lived and worked in the UK?
Is there any document showing that ( I seem to remember there is one NI document in Spain showing all the periods you have been paying NI, maybe something similar or SAR-type)? Or should I need to send them a ton of documents, again?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:41 am

cordelia wrote:Proof of NI contributions... For all the years I have lived and worked in the UK?
Is there any document showing that ( I seem to remember there is one NI document in Spain showing all the periods you have been paying NI, maybe something similar or SAR-type)? Or should I need to send them a ton of documents, again?
See recent HO guidance - page 8:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2016.pdf