ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

LTR & Naturalisation processing timeframe

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ikoonman
Newly Registered

LTR & Naturalisation processing timeframe

Post by ikoonman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:30 am

Does ANYONE have an idea WHY-OH-WHY these processing periods are now so ridiculously long?

ChIrl

Post by ChIrl » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:46 am

None really. But, everyone can do their bit sending a card as per this thread.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=21437

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:14 pm

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/200 ... y26315.asp

Thirty-month backlog in citizenship procedures
The Government has ordered a major review into the procedures for granting Irish citizenships to foreigners, following the discovery of a 30-month backlog in dealing with each application.

Figures obtained by The Sunday Business Post show there are 15,000 people on the waiting list for naturalisation, a process whereby foreigners living in Ireland can obtain Irish citizenship.

The main reason for the delay is the significant increase in the number of people applying for naturalisation in recent years, according to the Department of Justice. More than 7,000 people applied last year, compared with 1,004 in 2000.

Minister for Justice Brian Lenihan has instructed his senior officials to undertake an immediate review of the various processes to see if they can be streamlined and improved.

In order for a foreigner to be naturalised, the individual must have lived in Ireland continuously for the 12-month period prior to the application. In addition, they must have lived in Ireland for at least four of the previous eight years.More than 3,400 people applied for naturalisation in the first six months of the year, according to Department of Justice figures. In total, 28,000 people have lodged applications since 2000.

Applications are subject to a number of different tests. In addition to the residency criteria, passports and other documentation are also examined, and the Garda National Immigration Bureau may also be consulted.

Since April 1, 2005, some 3,500 applicants have been found to be ineligible under this criteria. The next stage of the process involves a thorough examination of the applicant’s financial status in order to assess their ability to support themselves.

The department may consult with the Revenue Commissioners and the Department of Social and Family Affairs to check the person’s financial background.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:34 pm

There were 135085 applications for naturalisation in the UK in 2004, and no doubt the figures for 2006 and 2007 will be considerably higher.

This means that the UK processes more naturalisation applications in one MONTH than Ireland does in an entire year. And yet the UK manages to turn applications around in an average of 3 months (and usually significantly less than this), as opposed to Ireland's 30 months.

Makes you wonder what the hell they are doing down there in the Irish immigration department.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:58 pm

Also related which I found on google's cache on Denis Naughton's site (now deleted)

Originally posted here...

http://www.finegael.ie/news/index.cfm/t ... 6/pkey/653
but now it's been taken off.

''Leinster House Contact:Denis Naughten TD,Immigration
Dublin 2
Ireland 086 6992080

Tuesday 9th September 2007

[quote]Minister unable to explain 1,700% increase in citizenship applications - Naughten

Quote:
Justice Minister Brian Lenihan was unable to explain to the Dáil a 1,700% increase over a five day period in applications for Irish citizenship, Fine Gael Immigration Spokesman Denis Naughten TD said today (Tuesday).

On the floor of the Dáil, Deputy Naughten pointed out to the Minister that on 26th September last, there were 14,400 applications for certificates of naturalisation (citizenship) on hand within the Department. However, five working days later on October 4th, this had increased to 17,000 applications, which is an increase of 520 applications per day.

Up to this point, the average number of applications per working day has been approximately 30. Yet it is unbelievable to contemplate that our Minister for Justice, who is in charge of the immigration and naturalisation process, is unaware of such a significant discrepancy in the figures in such a very short period of time. It is clear that neither the Minister nor the Department have a handle on the significant challenges presented by the immigration process.

Fine Gael Spokesperson for Immigration, Denis Naughten has condemned the Government for failing to prioritise two vital pieces of immigration legislation, even though they were committed to fast tracking the legislation before the General Election.

It is now clear that there is an urgent need for clear and transparent immigration residency and naturalisation legislation in this country. The present system is opaque and ineffective, yet the Minister failed this afternoon to indicate when the new immigration law will be introduced into the Dáil.

This attitude will not address fundamental problems of the exploitation of immigrants and the management of immigration with clear and transparent rules.

"Up to the end of September it was taking approximately two and a half years to process an application for citizenship. This was after applicants had already had to wait for the statutory five years before applying. These applicants include spouses of Irish citizens, professionals running their own companies who are securing long-term employment for Irish staff."

Please find attached two Parliamentary Questions concerning citizenship applications.

QUESTION NO: 120

another_immigrant

Post by another_immigrant » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:37 pm

HI everyone,

I've just joined this form as I am trying to find out which month applications the immigration office is currently (as of 26th Dec 07) processing. I applied for the LTR this year in July. How long do you think I should be waiting for? (I received a letter on 27th Nov saying that they were processing the applications from July 2006...)

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:52 pm

another_immigrant

thanks for the links

Post by another_immigrant » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:35 pm

Thanks Joe.
it looks like it's getting longer and longer every month. According to my calculation, -based on the letter that was issued last November- it's now 16 months i guess... (jul 06 - nov 07)

it reminds me of the old irish saying "all good things come to those who wait" ...

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: thanks for the links

Post by mktsoi » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:04 pm

another_immigrant wrote:Thanks Joe.
it looks like it's getting longer and longer every month. According to my calculation, -based on the letter that was issued last November- it's now 16 months i guess... (jul 06 - nov 07)

it reminds me of the old irish saying "all good things come to those who wait" ...
all good things come to those who wait? while you are waiting. you better pray and hope nothing happen to youself. i am not saying that anything will happen to you but if you suddenly become unemploy or fall sick and cant work or for whatever reason that you have to claim social welfare before your citizenship application decided by DOJ. they might not renew your permission to remain in ireland, so waiting is still a good thing? yes?

mendo

Post by mendo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:46 pm

I took a look at these links:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Co ... %20Section

Applications for naturalisation received in June 2005 are currently being processed.

I can't believe it, my friend applied in March 2005 and he hasn't heard anything yet.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Lo ... 0Residency
Processing time is approximately 18 months.
The processing time just jumped by 4 months.
Long term residence is granted on the basis that a non EEA national has completed five years (60 months) legal residence in the State on Work Permit conditions which is reflected in the corresponding Stamp 1 or Stamp 4 endorsements in a person's passport and not by the dates of commencement and expiry of each Work Permit. Subsequently, in calculating the reckonable period of 60 months legal residence, this office only takes into consideration time spent in the State legally on work permit conditions.
Not true that they are counting the months, they are counting the days, 365 days per year.
Long Term Residency
How can I obtain Long Term Residence in Ireland?

The position in relation to granting long term residence (currently processed as an Administrative Scheme) is as follows : Persons who have been legally resident in the State for over five years (ie: 60 months) on the basis of Work Permit/work authorisation/work visa conditions may apply to this office for a five year residency extension. In that context they may also apply to be exempt from employment permit requirements.

Long term residence is granted on the basis that a non EEA national has completed five years (60 months) legal residence in the State on Work Permit conditions which is reflected in the corresponding Stamp 1 or Stamp 4 endorsements in a person's passport and not by the dates of commencement and expiry of each Work Permit. Subsequently, in calculating the reckonable period of 60 months legal residence, this office only takes into consideration time spent in the State legally on work permit conditions. However, periods of time, where a person has not had legal residence (ie: having an up to date endorsement on Work Permit conditions in their passport) cannot be counted towards an application for long term residence.

The dependants of the aforementioned, who have been legally resident in the State for over five years (ie: 60 months) may also apply for long term residence. This particular long term permission does not exempt the dependants from employment permit requirements.

The following documents together with a covering letter of application clearly indicating the passport endorsements (totalling 60 months) relating to each work permit should be submitted to;

The Long Term Residence Section,
General Immigration Division,
3rd Floor,
INIS,
13-14 Burgh Quay,
Dublin 2

* Copy work permits.
* Copy Certificate of Registration (GNIB Card).
* Clear and legible copy passport including all endorsements (If your passport has expired since arrival in the State, please submit copies of both passports).

Applicants are also advised to keep their permission to remain up to date at all times (including the period while their application is being processed).
Processing time is approximately 18 months.

Applications from non EEA nationals who have not competed the 60 months legal residency at time of applications will not be accepted.

Mendo
________
NEW JERSEY DISPENSARIES
Last edited by mendo on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ikoonman
Newly Registered

Post by ikoonman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:46 am

What is interesting to me is that I have to wonder as well what GNIB is doing with all that money they are getting from issuing the alien registration cards.

If they successfully process 300 people a day, that's 30,000.00 euros. In a month (say 20 days) - that's 600,000.00 euros. That's more than 7 million euros per year. With that income, they can certainly hire more staff to speed up processing.

Is there anything one can do? Can you sue the goverment, if you had unlimited funds?

Marielmcp
Newly Registered

Post by Marielmcp » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Unfortunately filing a law suit would probably just create an even bigger back log as members of DoJ and INIS would have to be pulled out of their daily work to testify. Plus from what I have heard, the courts and their wait times are nearly as appalling as the LTR and Naturalsation wait times.

What really needs to be examined is the productivity of these departments and their individual members of staff. I work in visa processing and I personally handle over 2000 applications a year. Our office with a staff of 8 processes around 8000 applications a year. Now these are working holiday programmes, so may not be as complicated as LTR or naturalisation apps, but they are not visas for Australia which is so streamlined they only take about 2 business days to issue. These applications take an average of 8 weeks to process and some of these applications are at least 20 pages each. The forms are examined, input into a system, and each page is scanned into a system. The other thing to note is that 90% of these visa applications are processed in a 6 month period from January to June. A majority of these applications also require that each applicant have a personal interview at the US Embassy, which means there is one working day a week where very few new applications can be processed in order to provide support to those attending their interviews.

Based on the information provided in the Naughten article, this would mean that the 31 full-time employees would be responsible for processing approximately 550 applications each out of the backlog of 17000. This would mean that if you say each FT employee works 47 weeks in a year, they would only need to process an average of almost 12 applications a week. This is by no means an unrealistic expectation and if you use the departments current processing time it means that each member of staff does not even manage to process 1 application in a week.

I find that disgusting, considering the wages I am on and the amount of abuse I have to take from the youth (and their parents!) of this country (most of whom cannot complete an application form to save their life) because they have to wait a few weeks for their visa to be processed to go abroad for fun, when we are genuinely living, working and paying taxes here in Ireland and we are expected to wait for 18 months for a bit of stability, security and a chance to take our skills to an area where we might actually like to work or that would benefit from our skills. I've been doing this same job for 5 years and feel like it's groundhog day everyday for me.

What's more is every year I have to deal with at least one phone call or letter from a TD's office, including Mr Ahern, where they are trying to get the process sped up for someone whose documents were delayed due to their own inability to turn forms in or complete them correctly. One TD actually rang me the other day to try and rush through an application. I actually unleashed on him, in this case the processing time was 6 weeks and I stated that 6 weeks was a very decent processing time considering the amount of time it takes the Irish government to process similar applications.

The only real answer is to get everyone you know who is effected by this situation to inundate TDs with letters, phone calls and emails. It might also not be a bad idea to call for a 'general strike' of sorts for people effected by this inefficiency. We could all take a holiday day and stand in front of the Dail, the DoJ and Burgh Quay, block the buses on the Quays, the Luas on Harcourt Street, etc. That just might get their attention and force them to take control of the situation.

ac3340
Newly Registered

Post by ac3340 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:30 am

i dont think its a matter of lack of resources in DOJ, this delay is cauesed by the new minister and his new policies,when i followed up my application in july the DOJ told me they are delaing with the application received in july-06, i called up again in dec-07 they have the same story of course i asked them why? because they had a lot of application in july(big lie how could that be possible there cant be that many people have five year residence) to be honest let me put it this way i herad from some one that they delibratley delaying the process, and they want to bring up the waiting time up to 2yeras, for the simple reason as we are a good source of income for the goverment and also the fact that they dont really want us settledown here

so good luck to all waiting but i know some one applied in 11/07/06, still waiting to hear from DOJ for LTR

and there is nothing we can do, as nobody give a SH**

all the best

ikoonman
Newly Registered

Post by ikoonman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:25 am

Marielmcp wrote:I find that disgusting, considering the wages I am on and the amount of abuse I have to take from the youth (and their parents!) of this country (most of whom cannot complete an application form to save their life)
I appreciate and understand the torture that you take from the public. I can see that sometimes there are circumstances that you just feel you want to strangle or have the overwhelming urge to tell applicants to go away in a not-so-polite way. I agree that sometimes INIS officers find dealing with some applicants/"chancers" very frustrating and they act on this. But there is not "neutral" position for most of these guys and they constantly operate in this aggressive mode. I've had opportunity to socialize with staff from various embassies (incl. American) in Dublin and I frequently amazed at just how frustrating even diplomatic staff find it to operate in Ireland and its procedures.

You have to remember that GNIB/NIS lads are all relatively young and what they do is abuse the position of authority they are placed in - because they can. For them it's not a job - its an opportunity to discriminate against a fellow man. And the worse part is that their supervisors tolerate this. So the real problem in the organisation is not from the bottom up, but from the top down.

The sad part is when the Irish government needed the extra foreign skill (around 2000) they were quick to open up fast-track visa applications and thousands of foreigners have answered the call to come and "help", a lot of people sacrificing a lot to come and tolerate Irish way of life, drinking, weather etc. But the Irish now don't see it this way. They view us foreigners as some threat because clearly they didn't think and plan this process through from the beginning to the end.
Marielmcp wrote:It might also not be a bad idea to call for a 'general strike' of sorts for people effected by this inefficiency.
I don't think that the foreigners are willing to stand together and stand up to the system. And I can understand this. The reason for this, in my opinion, is that most of them are all scared. The Irish has shown in the past that they can do whatever they want with foreigners because the immigration laws in Ireland and the governments power is as clear as mud. The Irish fear change a lot and with all these foreigners around I think they are upset by the changes it's bringing to Irish society. A lot of people are trying to build a new future here, some with young families, and simply just don't want to risk that being taken away from them because the fear is there that Irish gov will exactly just do that. (And of course access to financial resources to pursue matters in the courts if things turn sour.)

I just cannot believe that there is very little that the foreigners can do to safely protest the system. One thing I know, the sooner the Irish realise that change in society is inevitable and that it will happen, the better the outcome will be for nationals/foreigners alike.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:54 am

Marielmcp wrote:Plus from what I have heard, the courts and their wait times are nearly as appalling as the LTR and Naturalsation wait times..
In our case, we went to the solicitors in August2007 when some nitwit supervisor at the GNIB actually challenged us to go to the courts. By December 2007, our case got listed for hearing and the Department settled with us out of court which is not a bad turn around time.

Isn't there some E.U regulation that specifies member states are supposed to process residency applications within a specific time frame once the applicant has lived legally in a member state for 5 years? I don't remember where I saw it,but I'll try to find it again. Maybe someone can use that regulation to sue to department.
I would also be in favour of protesting in front of the Irish parliament Dail (Leinster House) which can be a PR disaster for the Government if everyone found out about the cra**y way the government treats legal foreign workers and not just asylum seekers.

ikoonman
Newly Registered

Post by ikoonman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:11 am

archigabe wrote:I would also be in favour of protesting in front of the Irish parliament Dail (Leinster House) which can be a PR disaster for the Government if everyone found out about the cra**y way the government treats legal foreign workers and not just asylum seekers.
Count me in. But we will need a considerable number of people and media attention to have any affect.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:35 am

The two main politicians who should be lobbied are 'Denis Naughton, T.D who is Fine Gael 'spokesperson for immigration', and Conor Lenehan who is the so called 'Minister for Intergration'...he has no right to talk about integration when legal foreign workers are denied their rights by a government that is simply irresponsible.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:23 pm

Good luck trying to get any answer from Conor Lenihan. I've sent multiple emails and have telephoned and have not yet received one reply apart from an automated response "your email has been received". Not the most heartening.

ac3340
Newly Registered

Post by ac3340 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Just an add on , the real problem with the LTR is , its not in law yet that LTR should be granted to person who has 5 yeras legal residence in ireland, they are processing appllications as an Administrative scheme, and of course its a law in all other parts europe execept Denmark and UK, all these countries are deceided to opt out from the europian suggesstion excusing that they have "spacial arrangement"(source of this info is from a solicitor)

so what can we do,

many of us are in the same boat , stuck to the same employer may be getting the less wages in their own profession dont really have much choice as some one said earlier its hard as many of us are young and started a new family....etc its not very easy to move country

well we have to wait and see

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:29 pm

I think this page refers to the status of long term residents in E.U countries under Directive 2003/109/EC.

Status of third-country nationals who are long-term residents
http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l23034.htm
(25) In accordance with Articles 1 and 2 of the Protocol on the position of the United Kingdom and Ireland, annexed to the Treaty on European Union and to the Treaty establishing the European Community, and without prejudice to Article 4 of the said Protocol, these Member States are not participating in the adoption of this Directive and are not bound by or subject to its application.

(26) In accordance with Articles 1 and 2 of the Protocol on the position of Denmark, annexed to the Treaty on European Union and the Treaty establishing the European Community, Denmark does not take part in the adoption of this Directive, and is not bound by it or subject to its application
To those with a more academic interest, this page refers to all issues relevant to movement of third country nationals in E.U countries.

FREE MOVEMENT OF PERSONS, ASYLUM AND IMMIGRATION
http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/s17000.htm

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:19 pm

archigabe wrote:
Marielmcp wrote:
Isn't there some E.U regulation that specifies member states are supposed to process residency applications within a specific time frame once the applicant has lived legally in a member state for 5 years? I don't remember where I saw it,but I'll try to find it again. Maybe someone can use that regulation to sue to department.
I would also be in favour of protesting in front of the Irish parliament Dail (Leinster House) which can be a PR disaster for the Government if everyone found out about the cra**y way the government treats legal foreign workers and not just asylum seekers.
There is an EU directive from 1999 that says residency must be processed from the time a non eu is eligible. Unfortunetly and inexplicably Ireland and the UK are exempt from it. Again its' like the Irish mammy syndrome. The spoiled Irish government can do what it wants and the EU will wipes its mule all day long.
I've tried to get people together through this forum myself...but have only gotten abuse. I'm not sure what to do now. I just got fired without cause just before christmas and I feel like I'm staring into the abyss at the moment. I think it's going to take some brave individuals to stand up and stop the wheel turning before these spoiled brats are brought to heel. I also think its the only solution. This government are some of the biggest shitehawks I've ever encountered. They are eat up with idealogy and care not for anyone but their own narrow interests. Not a chance are they going to do anything for us foreignors unless they are forced.

Marielmcp
Newly Registered

Post by Marielmcp » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:41 pm

I don't think that the foreigners are willing to stand together and stand up to the system. And I can understand this. The reason for this, in my opinion, is that most of them are all scared. The Irish has shown in the past that they can do whatever they want with foreigners because the immigration laws in Ireland and the governments power is as clear as mud. The Irish fear change a lot and with all these foreigners around I think they are upset by the changes it's bringing to Irish society. A lot of people are trying to build a new future here, some with young families, and simply just don't want to risk that being taken away from them because the fear is there that Irish gov will exactly just do that. (And of course access to financial resources to pursue matters in the courts if things turn sour.)

I just cannot believe that there is very little that the foreigners can do to safely protest the system. One thing I know, the sooner the Irish realise that change in society is inevitable and that it will happen, the better the outcome will be for nationals/foreigners alike.
Unfortunately this type of thought is what is going to keep the sustem going as it is, with wait times increasing on a constant basis. At the end of the day we have rights as legal residents in Ireland and we need to make it clear to all parties involved that most of us will gain a right to vote in this country and that we can influence our partners, friends, families and businesses in regards to their vote.

I am going to write an editorial and send it to all of the papers, Denis Naughten, and Conor Lenihan - maybe someone will bite. There was quite a bit of arguing going on in the Metro when this came up and many of those who wrote in were European citizens.

I think a protest in from of the Dail is a brilliant idea, but it will take time to organise and possibly a bit of money for placards and contacting people who would like to participate. Does anyone have any idea as to how many people use this forum and might be keen on joining this? I have a decent enough number of friends and they all know people that are effected by this as well. If we act like we're defeated before we really start then things are going to continue to get worse and we really can't just sit here and accept it, we do have rights.

ikoonman
Newly Registered

Post by ikoonman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:59 pm

Marielmcp wrote:Does anyone have any idea as to how many people use this forum and might be keen on joining this?
That's one of the reasons for my poll. I wanted to get an idea of how many people is browsing this forum. I guess one approach would be to get a not-for-profit org going, and get people actively involved that way. I am definitely not suggesting doing what orgs like Immigrant Council and MRCI are doing. They already doing a great job in any case. The not-for-profit org should focus on the ordinary non-EU Joe Soaps with valid work/spousal visas who work here and who gets treated unfairly, and is discriminated against, who waits for their LTR or naturalisation applications to be processed. There should also be some way to formally lodge complaints against abuse from INIS officials. I've heard of apalling stories of these yokes making ridiculous statements and refuse to commit to them in writing.

The money would be put towards, like you say, placards and ribbons, pamplets, letters, email campaigns, and solicitor fees if neccessary. Heck - one can even go as far as making tv/radio commercials. How about a local radio station or dedicated spam_do_not_click_here Internet broadcast? If RTE will not allow you to broadcast via TV/Radio, then you take it to the next EU country. Somewhere someone important is bound to hear it and put some some fire behind the Irish government.

It should also get the support of other immigrant organisations. A non-p org is really the best approach as this proof that you are serious, and that there is accountability for how funds are spent.

I may have gone a bit overboard but there is so much one can do if you have the right support.

sashasolar

Post by sashasolar » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:12 pm

I am so happy to see like-minded people on this forum! I’ve been thinking about setting up a non-profit organisation or an initiative that would bring together legal foreign workers in order to say to the system, as well as the Irish people, that the way we are being treated by the authorities is less and less fair and in some instances inhumane.

Apart from the appalling situation with LTR and Natiralisation waiting times and queues in the GNIB offices, I think many of us know examples when legal non-EU workers are unable to unite with their families that are left behind. There are so many loopholes in the legislation as to the status of teenagers that came to this country with their non-EU parents 6-8 years ago and that are not able to apply for education grants to go to college despite the fact that their parents have been paying Irish tax all this time and their kids went to Irish schools. I don’t think that Department of Justice officials realise that their “laid-backâ€

Marielmcp
Newly Registered

Post by Marielmcp » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:09 am

I agree with you Alex, I think that we all spend enough time having a look on boards and discussing on boards that we could surely arrange to meet up and start putting our talk into action. I'm generally available any evening of the week and live close to town, so am easy on location.