ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

French citizen: EEA PR then AN? is that right?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Marion1984
Newly Registered

French citizen: EEA PR then AN? is that right?

Post by Marion1984 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:45 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for your help!

I am a French national living in the UK. Following Brexit I would like to gain dual nationality. I read on this forum that I can't apply for British Citizenship straight away. Am I right in understanding that the steps I need to follow are:
1 - Fill and send the EEA PR form in order to get the proof that I have permanent residence and then
2 - Fill and send the AN form in order to get British citizenship.

I do not even own a French passport, I have been using my French ID. Would that be ok for the EEA PR and how long before I get it back as it is my only proof of ID?

Thanks!!

Marion

noajthan

Re: French citizen: EEA PR then AN? is that right?

Post by noajthan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:49 pm

Marion1984 wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for your help!

I am a French national living in the UK. Following Brexit I would like to gain dual nationality. I read on this forum that I can't apply for British Citizenship straight away. Am I right in understanding that the steps I need to follow are:
1 - Fill and send the EEA PR form in order to get the proof that I have permanent residence and then
2 - Fill and send the AN form in order to get British citizenship.

I do not even own a French passport, I have been using my French ID. Would that be ok for the EEA PR and how long before I get it back as it is my only proof of ID?

Thanks!!

Marion
1) Yes
2) Yes

Yes, you can use French id as proof of identity for DCPR.

Processing may take several months; you can request documents to be returned a few weeks after submitting the application.
Bonne chance!
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:13 am

French ID card is fine - one of the many benefits of the EU is that you don't need a passport to travel inside it! Although the UK does not have a national ID card scheme, and their previous attempt was a disaster (and the reason why we are one of the only EU states which do not have fingerprints stored in biometric passports).

I submitted a request to have my passport returned about a month after sending my PR application, and it arrived in 4 working days.

If your economic activity is very straightforward, consider using this form instead of the monster 86 page EEA(PR) form.

Good luck!

Marion1984
Newly Registered

Post by Marion1984 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:11 pm

ohara wrote:French ID card is fine - one of the many benefits of the EU is that you don't need a passport to travel inside it! Although the UK does not have a national ID card scheme, and their previous attempt was a disaster (and the reason why we are one of the only EU states which do not have fingerprints stored in biometric passports).

I submitted a request to have my passport returned about a month after sending my PR application, and it arrived in 4 working days.

If your economic activity is very straightforward, consider using this form instead of the monster 86 page EEA(PR) form.

Good luck!
It looks a lot easier indeed! Thanks for that. Just one last question, if you don't mind: the form asks for letters from your employers. Won't pay slips do? One of my previous employer went bust so I have little hope to get a letter from them.

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated

Marion1984
Newly Registered

Post by Marion1984 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:14 pm

ohara wrote:French ID card is fine - one of the many benefits of the EU is that you don't need a passport to travel inside it! Although the UK does not have a national ID card scheme, and their previous attempt was a disaster (and the reason why we are one of the only EU states which do not have fingerprints stored in biometric passports).

Good luck!
Thank you! And yes, I used my French ID to visit many EU countries. I even flew from the UK to Iceland last year without even owning a passport. Amazing. It's sad that it will probably not be possible in the future :-S

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:43 pm

Marion1984 wrote: It looks a lot easier indeed! Thanks for that. Just one last question, if you don't mind: the form asks for letters from your employers. Won't pay slips do? One of my previous employer went bust so I have little hope to get a letter from them.

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated
It's not a requirement to submit letters from your employers, but you should try to gather as much evidence as possible. For example employment contract, P60's, a few payslips etc. You need to do your best to build a solid case so there is no doubt to UKVI that you have indeed been working/etc.
Thank you! And yes, I used my French ID to visit many EU countries. I even flew from the UK to Iceland last year without even owning a passport. Amazing. It's sad that it will probably not be possible in the future :-S
Yep, the beauty of the EU. We don't know what the future holds yet - the news today has been reporting that many other EU member states have categorically said the UK cannot have access to the single market if they do not accept freedom of movement.