ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU residency application - passport return?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anniecc

EU residency application - passport return?

Post by anniecc » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:50 am

A friend of mine is an EU national who has been working in the UK for many years. She wants to apply for permanent residency and then citizenship as she is worried about the implications of the Brexit vote.

I understand the EU applications take up to six months and there is no premium service. Is there any way to avoid having to be without your passport for six months? I've seen some references on this site to a passport return option but I can see any info about this on the government website.
Last edited by anniecc on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

LilyLalilu

Re: EU residency application - passport

Post by LilyLalilu » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:56 am

1) Get a national ID card and use it to travel whilst the application is processed. Should be able to get one at the Embassy, my Embassy got me one within 2 weeks. (Or send the ID card and keep the passport if overseas travel is required).

2) Request your documents back. Usually takes 10 working days but may apparently take much longer these days because they don't seem to be able to cope with the influx of applications/requests.
(First hit on google ;) : https://www.gov.uk/visa-documents-returned)
Last edited by LilyLalilu on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

anniecc

Re: EU residency application - passport

Post by anniecc » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:57 am

LilyLalilu wrote:1) Get a national ID card and use it to travel whilst the application is processed. Should be able to get one at the Embassy, my Embassy got me one within 2 weeks. (Or send the ID card and keep the passport if overseas travel is required).

2) Request your documents back. Usually takes 10 working days but may apparently take much longer these days because they don't seem to be able to cope with the influx of applications/requests.
Thanks very much. Can you point me to some 'official' info about the passport return option?