ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born outside UK to ILR father

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Child born outside UK to ILR father

Post by Rajyop » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:34 pm

Dear Amber,

My situation is slightly different, that my child was born outside the uk (in India, in 2014) when I had my ilr. My wife had flr.
I naturalised and got British passport last year 2015.
Can now I register my son as a British citizen using form MN1, if so what should I fill in the first column of the form (section 1.1)

1.1 Please indicate the section of the British Nationality Act 1981 under which you would like the application considered. See Chapter 2 of the guide for details.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _04-16.pdf
Thanks,
Raj

secret.simon

Re: Child born outside UK to ILR father

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:55 pm

Rajyop wrote:Can now I register my son as a British citizen using form MN1
No.

Rules are different for children born outside the UK before one of their parents got naturalisation.

The child's UK immigration status is in line with the less-privileged parent (in your child's case, the mother).

The child will need to get ILR (at the same time as the mother) and will then be eligible to apply under Section 3(1) of the BNA 1981.

Read pages 12 to 14 of the Guide MN.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Post by Rajyop » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Simon!

Since my child is in India, and myself and my wife are in the UK, I guess my child would first need a India passport, and then a dependent visa for him to enter and live in the UK. Can you advice which visa it is please? (Dependant of British citizen 'me', or dependant of 'less-privileged' parent (my wife))
Should at least one of us to be present on the Indias UK visa office with the child.

Thanks for your help,
Raj

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Your child will be issued the same visa as your spouse.

What is the visa your spouse holds? If it is a spouse settlement visa, then the child must apply for a child settlement visa on VAF4A.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Post by Rajyop » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:47 pm

Thanks CR001!

My wife is currently in FLR(m), that is valid for 2.5 years.
So should it be FLR(?) for my child as well?

thanks very much!
Raj

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:43 am

If child is in India, then FLR (Further Leave to Remain) is impossible. It would be a settlement visa to join you and mother, in line with mother's, as previously advised.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Post by Rajyop » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:19 pm

Thanks vinny!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:23 pm

You will also have to pay the NHS surcharge of £500 in addition to the visa fee of £1,195
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Post by Rajyop » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:42 pm

Thanks casa!

That helps me planing finances.
Actually my wife was already using NHS for her pregnancy till 7months. Then later she went to India and delivered the baby. So does that mean I still have to pay £500?

Can I include his name in the private health care (like Bupa) which my office currently provides and avoid those fees?

Thanks,
Raj

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:16 pm

You do not have an option to pay it or not. If you do not pay it, the visa will be refused. You cannot avoid the fee.

It has nothing to do with private healthcare or previous use of the NHS.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Post by Rajyop » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:40 pm

Thanks CR001!