ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

self-sufficient funding instead of working status: simpler?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gig67
Newly Registered

self-sufficient funding instead of working status: simpler?

Post by gig67 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:50 pm

I am a EU national living in the UK since 2010 with my family (all from the same EU country). I have been working as self employed from 2010 till 2014 (director and shareholder of a UK limited company). I also had substantial financial assets when I arrived and claimed no benefits. From beginning 2011 I had comprehensive health insurance for all my family with Aviva UK. Since 2014 I am employed by another EU company to work there but I am still resident in the UK where I spend most of my time. My NI contributions are paid in the other state, while income taxes are paid in the UK.

1) for the self-employed period, I would like to claim instead "self-sufficient" status rather than "self employed" because the required documentation seems so much less. I would thus plan to send through a sample of my bank account statements (two per year) and a certificate of health insurance from Aviva for the period. Can I indeed choose to claim self sufficient status even if I was working? Would an Aviva comprehensive plan be adequate as CSI? Does this sound reasonable or am I being simplistic?
2) for the "employed" period, I also have comprehensive insurance with an american insurer. Is the fact that I pay no NI in the UK but I pay it in the other EU country, as per the UK double taxation treaty with that country. Is that an issue? I would plan to submit year-end payslips, latest payslip and HMRC returns. Does that sound sufficient? Do I need to enclose my international insurance docs?

Thanks a lot for comments

noajthan

Re: self-sufficient funding instead of working status: simpl

Post by noajthan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:55 pm

gig67 wrote:I am a EU national living in the UK since 2010 with my family (all from the same EU country). I have been working as self employed from 2010 till 2014 (director and shareholder of a UK limited company). I also had substantial financial assets when I arrived and claimed no benefits. From beginning 2011 I had comprehensive health insurance for all my family with Aviva UK. Since 2014 I am employed by another EU company to work there but I am still resident in the UK where I spend most of my time. My NI contributions are paid in the other state, while income taxes are paid in the UK.

1) for the self-employed period, I would like to claim instead "self-sufficient" status rather than "self employed" because the required documentation seems so much less. I would thus plan to send through a sample of my bank account statements (two per year) and a certificate of health insurance from Aviva for the period. Can I indeed choose to claim self sufficient status even if I was working? Would an Aviva comprehensive plan be adequate as CSI? Does this sound reasonable or am I being simplistic?
2) for the "employed" period, I also have comprehensive insurance with an american insurer. Is the fact that I pay no NI in the UK but I pay it in the other EU country, as per the UK double taxation treaty with that country. Is that an issue? I would plan to submit year-end payslips, latest payslip and HMRC returns. Does that sound sufficient? Do I need to enclose my international insurance docs?

Thanks a lot for comments
1) May be accepted.

2) CSI is not required as a worker qualified person.
Suggest throw employers letters into the mix too. Don't give HO the Spam of 'wriggle room'.

Get into the head of the caseworker who will assess and weigh up your case, here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

gig67
Newly Registered

Re: self-sufficient funding instead of working status: simpl

Post by gig67 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:37 am

Thanks noajthan, much appreciated.