ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Housing Benefit,,, tax credit rejected

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shak80

Housing Benefit,,, tax credit rejected

Post by shak80 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:47 pm

hi
I applied for WTC/CTC , but for some reason they accepted CTC and rejected the WTC.
total self employed income for current year shown 5000.
CTC they award 6000.

i am going to appeal against WTC rejecting but not sure they will accept or not?

my question is :
will i get housing benefit or not?

We both are British and have 2 kids.

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Housing Benefit,,, tax credit rejected

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:20 pm

As you are both British, this isn't an immigration matter. WTC depends on the level of your joint income amongst other conditions and no one on the forum can tell you whether you qualify for HB. Check with the benefits office.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Petaltop

Re: Housing Benefit,,, tax credit rejected

Post by Petaltop » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:31 pm

shak80 wrote:hi
I applied for WTC/CTC , but for some reason they accepted CTC and rejected the WTC.
total self employed income for current year shown 5000.
CTC they award 6000.

i am going to appeal against WTC rejecting but not sure they will accept or not?
You and your wife only earn 5k between you? You will struggle to get WTC as that will seen more as a hobby than a business and is way below national minimum wage per hour.

Be aware that under the Tax Credit replacement, Universal Credit, the welfare state will no longer support a hobby business or a failed business. Under UC, your claim will be based on you earning 35 hours a week on the hourly national minimum wage, even if you don't earn that. This is to stop those who dodge the workfare programmes that jobseekers have to do, by claiming they are running a business and then living on benefits.

Under UC your wife will also be told the minimum she must earn each week to support her children to avoid the UC conditions. UC conditions are the same as jobseekers have now.i.e. workfare. Her hours/money/what she must do for benefits/ will be based on the age of your youngest child and kicks in when the youngest is age 1. Increases again when the child is age 5 and then fulltime work at NMW when that child is age 12.

Exisitng claimints will start to be moved onto UC from April.
shak80 wrote:my question is :
will i get housing benefit or not?

Ask your council as HB is based on low income. However, this benefit is also being being taken over by Universal Credit in the not too distant future and income based benefits will become 1 benefit payment, with conditions for claimants that they must meet.