ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renting a new home while passport at Home Office

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

giuliagiulia
Newly Registered

Renting a new home while passport at Home Office

Post by giuliagiulia » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:57 am

Hello,

I am moving into another city soon since I have got a new job offer (and CoS through which I will extend my Tier 2 status) while the contract of my current job (from which I have a Tier 2 status) is about to expire.

Now I have applied for the new visa related to the new CoS and the passport is with the Home Office. I am also in need to move to the new city and am planning to do so in 2-3 weeks by which time I do not think I will have my passport back yet. Will this be a problem for the application of the new home to rent? What can I show the letting agent instead of my passport ...

Has anyone been in this situation?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Best regards!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Renting a new home while passport at Home Office

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:45 pm

Not strictly an immigration question. Maybe more suited to a landlord/tenant forum.

If you don't have a passport and visa to prove your right to reside, it is unlikely you will be successful in securing accommodation.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:19 am

As of 1st Feb 2016 landlords must check the right to remain status of all new tenancies and renewal of leases for all tenants regardless of their country of origin.

Not having a primary identity document is going to be an issue BUT you can request a copy from the HO who must supply it with a letter stating it is a copy of a genuine document etc etc. This is the same for individuals who want / need to do their SELT without their passport.

Hope that helps

rutoro
Newly Registered

Post by rutoro » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:41 am

Please see
https://www.gov.uk/check-tenant-right-t ... -documents

Excerpt:
If the Home Office has the tenant’s documents
Use the landlord’s checking service to find out if the tenant is allowed to rent property if either:

* the Home Office has the tenant’s documents
* the tenant has an outstanding case or appeal

You’ll get an answer within 2 working days.

You’ll need the tenant’s Home Office reference number to use the service. Call the landlord’s helpline to get help.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:58 am

I have rented a property from a letting agency, with showing my driving licence. Because I am a Tier 2 migrant, I do understand the rules better than a lot of those who don't go through these visa issues, and while there is a law to check for right to live, it is very poorly implemented at the moment. I have managed to open a bank account (in Nationwide), as well as sign a new letting agreement, both without having to show my passport or residence card. (I obviously have both, and I actually even pointed to the person while filling my bank application that you are supposed to check and they said it is fine..presumably having a licence, and being in the electoral roll was enough for their systems)...
So in case you have bank statements/credit card statements + driving licence etc., you might just be fine and not asked for anything else... but you can follow the procedure suggested by rutoro to be absolutely sure..

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:52 pm

Welcome to a safe and secure Britain.....