ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation for minor non eea citizen.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jenaye123
Newly Registered

Naturalisation for minor non eea citizen.

Post by Jenaye123 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:22 pm

Hello everyone. I want to submit a naturalisation application for my younger brother aged 17. He was born in Jamaica, He has lived in the UK from he was 2, he was granted ILR in 2007. My mother has ILR and his dad lives in America and has no connections with my brother. My mother has learning difficulties and cannot take the LIUKT so cannot apply for BC. My brother meets all the other requirements except one. Is there a possibility that he can still be granted BC. Also, our step father is an Irish citizen and has full custody of my brother (don't know if this complicates things). Thank you, I'd be so greatful for some guidance.

noajthan

Re: Naturalisation for minor non eea citizen.

Post by noajthan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:16 am

There may be an exemption for LITUK test for mother.
There is also the question of absent father and parental responsibility to deal with.

Note minors (age under 18) are registered and not naturalised as citizens.
This will be a discretionary case under section 3(1) of BNA.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:18 am

Jenaye123 wrote:Hello everyone. I want to submit a naturalisation application for my younger brother aged 17. He was born in Jamaica, He has lived in the UK from he was 2, he was granted ILR in 2007. My mother has ILR and his dad lives in America and has no connections with my brother. My mother has learning difficulties and cannot take the LIUKT so cannot apply for BC. My brother meets all the other requirements except one. Is there a possibility that he can still be granted BC. Also, our step father is an Irish citizen and has full custody of my brother (don't know if this complicates things). Thank you, I'd be so greatful for some guidance.
Your mother will need medical proof on what her difficulties are to get exemption from LIUK.

Also, you say your brother meets all other requirements except one. Which one, do you believe, he does not meet?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jenaye123
Newly Registered

Post by Jenaye123 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:45 am

Thank you for all your comments. In terms of my mothers medical exemption, will she need to get proof from her doctor? If so, will that be enough or should she get other forms of proof? And the requirement I don't believe my brother meets is 'at least one parent must be applying for British nationalisation at the time of the child's application of registration.' I know his dad is not here but we can get a letter to state that he has abolished parental rights. I think that would be enough but I'm not sure. Thank you for the comments again, really helpful.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:47 am

How old is your mother??

She will need to provide evidence of a long history of learning difficulties if this is what she is claiming. A single GP letter would not be sufficient.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:10 pm

Jenaye123 wrote:..

And the requirement I don't believe my brother meets is 'at least one parent must be applying for British nationalisation at the time of the child's application of registration.' I know his dad is not here but we can get a letter to state that he has abolished parental rights. I think that would be enough but I'm not sure. Thank you for the comments again, really helpful.
Yes, explanation of lack of father's involvement and lack of contact will be required; that will all help the case.
(I have done a similar application myself, successfully).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Jenaye123
Newly Registered

Post by Jenaye123 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Ok thank you, noajthan you have been so helpful. And CR001, my mother is 42. I will ask her what evidence she has of her dyslexia, I think she found out a few years ago of this but I'm not sure. It's quite complicated with my mum because she only has a primary school education, so reading and writing is even more difficult with her dyslexia. But thank you for your help, you have been a great help.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:48 pm

If someone is able to coach your mum with the LIUK test, she would be able to listen to the questions through head phones on the day, instead of reading from the screen.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Jenaye123
Newly Registered

Post by Jenaye123 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:37 pm

Ok, thank you all for your comments, I think the best things is to help her study, and to take the test in an audio format. I might do some audio revision clips to help her. In the long term it will be beneficial to both my mum and brother. Thank you so much for your help. This is a great forum.