ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it worth trying to make a visa for my Thai girlfriend?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

somtamthai
Newly Registered

Is it worth trying to make a visa for my Thai girlfriend?

Post by somtamthai » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:26 pm

Hey everyone,

Joined this place for some information because it's hard to find other people in my situation. Anyway, I'm a 25-year-old guy with a Thai girlfriend(she's 32) who I've known for three years. She works as a waitress in a restaurant for a fairly paltry wage, so she's not exactly full of savings.

I'm wondering is it worth my time and money trying to make her a visa to stay with me for around 20-25 days? The Irish immigration website is confusing because it mentions two types of short stay visa. Tourist and visit family/friend. She's neither strictly a tourist or strictly a family/friend -- she's my girlfriend. I'm leaning towards family/friend because I plan to cover most of her expenses.

She will stay in my family home for the duration of the trip (we're actually renting because we're from a working class background and my parents could never afford to buy). Myself, I'll have about 4k in the bank by the time I'm applying, possibly a little less at 3k. I'm currently on jobseekers allowance, but I've some savings left over from my last job. I plan to be off the live register by the time she's applying for her visa.

I reckon she'll have about 550 euro to her name when she arrives. So that's free accomodation, all her meals paid for (surely 3k is enough for 23 days of food) and some money on her part leftover for activities.

I know it's difficult to get a visa for Ireland. But what I want to know is:

a) Am I right to apply for the famiy/friend one, given that she's my girlfriend
b) Is it worth my time to even apply for one in this situation?

An advice at all would be greatly appreciated. This is a short trip, which I'd hope would work in our favour. Plus, she has a job to go back to, which her employer (the owner of a well-known restaurant) will officially verify. I'd love to get her here to show her around Ireland and it's a tad demoralizing that it's so hard to get into Ireland, when loads of other countries let us in without any hassle. Thanks in advance for any advice.

J_Karim
BANNED

Re: Is it worth trying to make a visa for my Thai girlfriend

Post by J_Karim » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:11 pm

best for you to apply for visit visa once she here and wants stay bit longer for to gnib office for a few days extention other visa would be more complecated i guess
Any one can give there suggestion but only experts can give advice

Regards
J.K

Freedom123
Newly Registered

Post by Freedom123 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Have successfully brought my Thai girlfriend to Ireland on a visit visa ( she now lives here with me we,ve since got a D settlement visa).

Visit visa,s ( C Visa,s) permit a maximum stay of 90 days you,ll have no basis to extend it whilst she,s here.

In your application You,ll have to show that she has strong reasons to return to Thailand so a job ( pays lips, letter from employer ), any assets she has in Thailand including cash, property car etc.

You,ll also need to show that either you or her have adequate funds to support her during her stay. Being honest, being out of work when applying may not be good.

Finally you,ll need to show that it,s a genuine relationship, so entry/exit stamps in your passport, flight tickets etc. along with evidence of ongoing contact.

The application along with all the supporting documents need submitted to the Irish embassy on Wireless road in Bangkok. Decision takes about 4 weeks however if they aren't,t happy to approve in Bangkok it,s sent to Dublin for decision which can take quite a while.

somtamthai
Newly Registered

Post by somtamthai » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:38 pm

Freedom123 wrote:
You,ll also need to show that either you or her have adequate funds to support her during her stay. Being honest, being out of work when applying may not be good.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Just to confirm -- I won't be out of work at the time of application. I 'm actually going over to see her in September and I'll be signing off the unemployment benefits in Ireland within the next four weeks, regardless of whether I have a job or not. Given that I'm living at home with parents, 3k in the bank would surely be enough to support her for a 20-day stay. I know it won't be easy to get the visa, I'm just looking for hope that it can be done in my situation.

With regards to the settlement D visa, did this require you to get married?

Freedom123
Newly Registered

Post by Freedom123 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:39 am

Sorry misread your post. When applying would be great if you had a few months pay slips to show.

It,s not that difficult once you have all your paperwork in order, know quite a few people myself included that regularly bring their partners/gf,s here.

Yes D visa requires marraige cert. Oh and visa type you,ll be applying for is C visa ( visit family/friend)

Enjoy the trip in September