ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa fee and NHS charges .... UKVI system is over charging

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sunoo
United Kingdom

Visa fee and NHS charges .... UKVI system is over charging

Post by sunoo » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi.

I am not sure if someone else came across this issue. As far as I am aware the spouse visa application fee is £1195 and NHS fee is £600. However yesterday I applied for my Mrs application online and the system was charging in PKR which wasn't reflecting with current exchange so I end up paying £1422 for application fee and £715 for the NHS charges.

I understand the the minor change in the currency value can happen and I don't mind paying additional £40/£50 but £335 is ridiculous.

I want to take this matter to further. Any advise will be appreciated.

Regards

Sunoo

vinny

Re: Visa fee and NHS charges .... UKVI system is over chargi

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:35 am

Is it because the pound has fallen quite a lot and the fees are in local currency? Not sure what you can do about it before they change the fees to reflect the currency.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:48 pm

It's too much excessive charges then original because of exchange rate :shock:
Can the fee paid by direct transfer to bank/postal order/ any other more than debit card to avoid extra exchange rate charges.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:04 pm

Check with your bank as they also charge some fees if you use Uk debit or credit card to pay fees in currency others than pounds.
vinny wrote:Is it because the pound has fallen quite a lot and the fees are in local currency? Not sure what you can do about it before they change the fees to reflect the currency.
Fees in local currency should be lower rather than higher if pounds has fallen significantly

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:14 pm

But a lot embassies and consulates or visa centers in world who accept fee in such currency where they locally based. So do that accept bank transfer/traveller cheque/draft/postal order in such local currency to avoid exchange charges???
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:30 pm

seagul wrote:But a lot embassies and consulates or visa centers in world who accept fee in such currency where they locally based. So do that accept bank transfer/traveller cheque/draft/postal order in such local currency to avoid exchange charges???
I did not get your question. UK4visa online application accepted only skrills and visa/master card when i applied from Pakistan. You normally dont occur extra charges if you use local debit or credit card when pay VISA/IHS charges in Pakistani rupees but i was struggling to pay with Pakistani card so used UK cards which charge non sterling transaction fees depend on bank as vary from 2.75% to 3% of the amount of the transaction. Visa/IHS fees is always much higher than present exchange rate of pound into others currency ..they have some sort of special currency converter :D

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:08 pm

So it means that if the visa fee is being paid from pakistani debit card then there won't be any charges, is this correct or they still charge even you pay by pakistani debit card??

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:46 pm

seagul wrote:So it means that if the visa fee is being paid from pakistani debit card then there won't be any charges, is this correct or they still charge even you pay by pakistani debit card??
yes correct . If you use Pakistani debit or credit card then there will be no extra charges as fees is in local Pakistani currency

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:08 am

But visa authorities don't use OANDA website currency converter which is the recommended one by ukba/home office to calculate foreign currencies. Exchange rates on OANDA currency converter are normal then why they use anonymous higher exchange rate sources when applicant paying by uk debit card???

https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:40 am

ECB6.3 How are fees paid? wrote:Fees for entry clearance and related services are set in UK legislation in UK pounds (GBP). Changes to the Fees are approved by the UK Parliament. Fees can be paid in Locally Acceptable Currency, which is determined by the country where the applicant will provide biometrics. The exchange rate is determined by the UK Consular Rate of Exchange mechanism and may be subject to change.
This seems to suggest that fees can also be paid directly in UK pounds? Perhaps they need to fix the online sites to give the options of paying in UK pounds, as well as in local currency.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:00 pm

Vinny FEES/IHS is always in local currency from where applicant applying from
seagul wrote:But visa authorities don't use OANDA website currency converter which is the recommended one by ukba/home office to calculate foreign currencies. Exchange rates on OANDA currency converter are normal then why they use anonymous higher exchange rate sources when applicant paying by uk debit card???

https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/
Yea you are right but its business for UKBA and i dont think that they even use any currency converter to determine the exchange rate because its always much much higher

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:31 am

They must be challenged and stopped not to follow its assumed exchange rate which is too higher which I believe they doing that deliberately because they know that people for being their families will definitely pay that. OANDA currency converter is ukba and home office and uk visa authorities recommended source where the exchange rates are normal.