ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Desperate: visit visa diagnosed with late stage cancer

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

leigh80
Newly Registered

Desperate: visit visa diagnosed with late stage cancer

Post by leigh80 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:21 pm

Im desperate for some advice.
My 63 yeard old mother is in the UK on a visitors visa (my sister and are British Citizens by decent). Sadly my mum has been diagnosed with Cancer she became unwell during her visit and had to be taken to A&E where tests were done and the diagnosis given. The Consultant at the hospital has advised that my mother requires further treatment or her survial is 6-12 months. We have looked at options in her home country and they do not have the services or skilled surgeons needed to undertake the surgery and aftercare. My mother lives alone as our dad (who was born in the UK) passed away and the only family she has all live in the UK. Her visitor visa is due to expire on the 3rd July 16.
Is there anything we can do to extend the visa and get NHS treatment?
We are in a desperate situation.
Im hoping that someone will be able to offer advise.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Desperate: visit visa diagnosed with late stage cancer

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:53 am

I can appreciate how distressing this must be for you all. It appears that you should use form FLR(O) to request an extension due to extenuating circumstances preventing your mother from travelling. You will need medical evidence to support this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _03-16.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _04-16.pdf

Does your mother have private medical insurance? If not, unfortunately you will be facing a bill for treatment charged at 150% of the NHS costs.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

leigh80
Newly Registered

Post by leigh80 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:39 pm

Casa wrote:I can appreciate how distressing this must be for you all. It appears that you should use form FLR(O) to request an extension due to extenuating circumstances preventing your mother from travelling. You will need medical evidence to support this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _03-16.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _04-16.pdf

Does your mother have private medical insurance? If not, unfortunately you will be facing a bill for treatment charged at 150% of the NHS costs.

Casa thank you for the information. Unforunately because of where my mom is from there is not Private Medical Insurance available. I had seen there was the Immigration Health Surcharge , would she be able to apply for this?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:41 pm

She doesn't have the option as a visitor of paying the NHS surcharge unfortunately.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

leigh80
Newly Registered

Post by leigh80 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Casa wrote:She doesn't have the option as a visitor of paying the NHS surcharge unfortunately.

If we apply FLR(O) route can we then change to a different visa, as my sister and i are settled in the UK and British by Decent through our dad (mums late husband).
NHS treatment is extremely expensive, the current invoice is in excess of £7000. Can't afford private treatment either although it is cheaper than NHS.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:17 pm

I would focus on submitting a strong application for FLR(O) first. Non-payment of the NHS bills will complicate the situation with the Home Office.
(Casa, not CR001)

leigh80
Newly Registered

Post by leigh80 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:39 pm

Casa wrote:I would focus on submitting a strong application for FLR(O) first. Non-payment of the NHS bills will complicate the situation with the Home Office.
Current bill is our main worry as the hospital have said they will notify Home Office within days.. I have asked them for a breakdown on 2 occassions of the current invoice as it only gives a total amount due and so far i have not had a response.

i_am_a_ting
Newly Registered

Post by i_am_a_ting » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:58 am

Of what country/countries is your mother a citizen?

If she is a Commonwealth citizen who was married to a British man with right of abode on 31 December 1982, she may qualify for right of abode in the UK in her own right.

She is then entitled to remain and reside in the UK and access NHS treatment as any other settled UK resident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_ ... h_subjects

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/overview

If this does not apply to your mother, please disregard.

leigh80
Newly Registered

Post by leigh80 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:13 am

i_am_a_ting wrote:Of what country/countries is your mother a citizen?

If she is a Commonwealth citizen who was married to a British man with right of abode on 31 December 1982, she may qualify for right of abode in the UK in her own right.

She is then entitled to remain and reside in the UK and access NHS treatment as any other settled UK resident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_ ... h_subjects

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/overview

If this does not apply to your mother, please disregard.
Thank you , my mum is a Zimbabwean. Unfortunately my parents married in 1984, I had a glimmer of hope there for a moment. x

leigh80
Newly Registered

Post by leigh80 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:30 pm

Thank you all, we have submitted the application for an extension using form FLR(O)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:57 am

Hope it goes well for you. Please keep us updated.
(Casa, not CR001)

leigh80
Newly Registered

FLR(O) Immigration Health Surcharge confusion, HELP

Post by leigh80 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:07 am

FLR(O) application made in July 2016.
Letter received from Home Office dated 9th September 2016 but only received today.
Letter states that:
1) Payment is missing - Immigration Health Surcharge has not been made and is needed to be made within 10 days or application is invalid.
2) Application incomplete - Biometric details are needed and to be made at a Post Office within 15 days.
3) Heres my confusion, we were advised that we could not pay the Health Surcharge due to visa type(entered the UK on a Visitors Visa), so dont know how much to pay. The link on the letter does not work (http://www.immigration-health-surcharge ... ment/start)
4) How do we let them know that we have paid this?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: FLR(O) Immigration Health Surcharge confusion, HELP

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:28 am

You have to pay it, your 'visitor status' is irrelevant as you are making an immigration application outside the rules.

The amount to pay is likely £500 for each person applying for a 2.5 year visa.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... w-much-pay

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... cation/pay

Payment will be notified by the IHS site to HO as far as I am aware.

On what basis are you applying for and do you think you qualify for FLR(O)?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

leigh80
Newly Registered

Post by leigh80 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:42 am

Thank you Casa, my mum entered the UK in Jan 16 as a Visitor (her daughters are settled in the UK, British by Decent) , mum fell ill a few months later and diagnosed with Cancer whilst in the UK. FLR(O) application for treatment in the UK as there are no options available in her home country.

Please clarify on the website (https://www.immigration-health-surcharg ... ker/Single)
which options do I select for the following?
What is your visa route?
What is your visa type?

if i select ROUTE as FLR(O) what should Visa Type be?
Im assuming route is (what visa we applying for) and visa type (what visa she is already on)?? If thats the case it shows Not Applicable. Please help me understand so that I pay the correct amount.

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:51 am

I am not registered on the IHS website, have never had to use so I have no idea what options you are given.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

leigh80
Newly Registered

Post by leigh80 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:47 pm

I managed to get some answers from the immigration enquiry centre but it took 3 phone calls, asking the exact same question and getting 1 I dont know answer. 1 perhaps you ought to do this and finally someone who put me on hold and went away to enquire. The IHS was paid £1000 and biometrics have been done, we now await a decision.

leigh80
Newly Registered

Post by leigh80 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:05 am

I'm sorry this is a late update.

My mother was issued with ILR. It did take a while to process (6 months) because we received a letter at month 5 asking for the same supporting documents which we had already submitted when making the application, luckily we had copies. A few weeks later the ILR was received.

Sadly our mum passed away in August 2017 whilst here in the UK.

ALL the help from every one on this board was of so much use. You all do a great job xx

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:22 am

I'm very sorry for your loss. It was good that you were able to be with your mother.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.