ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can i apply with non-UK passport expiring soon

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

khurram2015
Newly Registered

Can i apply with non-UK passport expiring soon

Post by khurram2015 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:18 pm

Hello Experts,

I have already booked a NCS (JCAP) appointment for my and my family's naturalisation application on 19th July but my mistake that only noticed today that my and my wife's non-UK passports are expiring on 13 september. I am worried and confused now what should i do with our naturalisation applications now. I dont want my applications to fail or get complicated but also dont want to delay applying if possible at all.

Could experts and gurus please guide me If i can apply with a non-UK passport expiring in almost 2 months time?
Could it have any negative impact or cause any delays in my naturisation application decision.

Anxiously waiting for your reply.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can i apply with non-UK passport expiring soon

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:19 pm

It will be fine. It is valid at the time of application. There is no requirement to have it valid for x amount of months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

khurram2015
Newly Registered

Post by khurram2015 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:30 am

Thanks CR001! Its a relief for me :D
So if after applying at NCS for JCAP application, I renew my foreign passport (which I will need to as I will need to travel to see my old parents), do I need to send my new passport to Home office or to HMPO (as with JCAP its both naturalisation adn UK Passport applications) ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:52 am

No, just advise HO/HMPO that you have a new passport and provide the details.

To be honest, it would have been simpler if you had renewed your foreign passport before applying for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:51 am

I was in the same situation, where there was a possibility that my EU passport would expire while my application was under consideration.

To avoid any difficulty I just renewed the passport before applying. Took a cheap trip to the embassy in London (got lucky with advanced singles at £20) and I had my new passport in 5 working days.

khurram2015
Newly Registered

Post by khurram2015 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:12 pm

Thanks CR001 and ohara for your replies! I am following your advise to which I also totally agree.
So I have booked an appointment for 14th July(the earliest available) for applying for urgent passports. If I am lucky enough to get passports before my JCAP appointment on 19th, I will take these along. Otherwise I can advise to HO and HMPO about new passport details.
So how do I advise them, can you give me some details about the procedure if possible and I will make a note of them?

khurram2015
Newly Registered

Post by khurram2015 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:41 pm

Hi CR001,

You said that After renewing my passport I can just advise HO/HMPO. Could you please tell what is the best way of doing this, by sending them a copy of my new passport ??

Regards

Fulgrun
Newly Registered

Post by Fulgrun » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:37 pm

I don't know what the HO's opinion would be but I would think the soon-to-be-expiring passport would be more valuable than the recently-issued passport since they would be able to see your travel history and see whether or not you have traveled to someplace that might raise red flags.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:54 pm

Fulgrun wrote:I don't know what the HO's opinion would be but I would think the soon-to-be-expiring passport would be more valuable than the recently-issued passport since they would be able to see your travel history and see whether or not you have traveled to someplace that might raise red flags.
The primary reason (or at least one of the reasons) for requesting the applicant to submit all un-cancelled passports appears to be to ensure that they do not hold multiple identities. There have been many on this forum who have encountered challenges during their British passport applications due to this reason.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:58 pm

khurram2015 wrote:You said that After renewing my passport I can just advise HO/HMPO. Could you please tell what is the best way of doing this, by sending them a copy of my new passport ??
It may be best to call HMPO to enquire what the correct way forward would be, as I'm guessing this is probably one of those unusual scenario's rather than the norm.

ska2014
Newly Registered

Post by ska2014 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:43 pm

My husband applied with an expired Indian passport. It expired around 5 months before the NCS appointment. It is not a requirement as he is naturalised now. We told NCS that we do not plan to renew the passport and surrender it as is. He had to supply payslips to prove his continuous residence.

khurram2015
Newly Registered

Post by khurram2015 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:19 pm

cs95tdg and ska2014,
Thanks you for your replies.
I also need to travel and renew my non-UK passport so to avoid any kind of unnecessary confusions/troubles I have applied for its(non-UK passport) renewal first. Once I get it renewed, then will apply for naturalisation.

Thank you all for your guidance!