ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Oh!! Passport application refused

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hammody
Newly Registered

Oh!! Passport application refused

Post by hammody » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi all,

I recently submitted a passport application for my daughter (almost 2 years old) and her application was refused because her name appears differently in another travel document. She has dual citizenship.

In the other country that she is a citizen of, names are written differently. Regardless whether you are a citizen of that country or not, if you obtain any official document (passport, ID, Driving license..) you name will be written as follows

First_Name + Father_Name + Grand_father_first_initial + Last_name
For example
Sarah + George + J + Smith

In my daughter's birth certificate, registration and all official document her name appear as it should, which is

First_Name + Last_Name
Sarah + Smith

As you can see the way her name written in her foreign passport gives the impression that she has a middle name which is George - her father's name!. You don't have a say in how your name is written. Your name must consist of the four parts mentioned above. I tried explaining this to HMPO but they wouldn't listen. We need to get her a passport urgently. My wife and I travel a lot and we have been leaving our daughter with friends and relatives, but we can't continue doing this.

What can we do? I'm considering one of the following

1- Change her name on birth certificate and registration certificate, so it matches the other passport (not even sure how!)
2- Change her name with a deed-poll (I've been told it wouldn't work)
3- Cancel her other passport. NOT renouncing her other citizenship, just cancelling the passport.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

JohnnyZee

Re: OH!! PASSPORT APPLICATION REFUSED!

Post by JohnnyZee » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:41 pm

I would refer to the more recent cases in the thread below. All the best.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 83170.html

noajthan

Re: Oh!! Passport application refused

Post by noajthan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:03 am

hammody wrote:Hi all,

I recently submitted a passport application for my daughter (almost 2 years old) and her application was refused because her name appears differently in another travel document. She has dual citizenship.

What can we do? I'm considering one of the following

1- Change her name on birth certificate and registration certificate, so it matches the other passport (not even sure how!)
2- Change her name with a deed-poll (I've been told it wouldn't work)
3- Cancel her other passport. NOT renouncing her other citizenship, just cancelling the passport.

What do you guys think?

Regards,
The problem is what is considered to be the two identities.

1) Not usual to change birth certificates as they as records of (past) event.

2) Maybe. See linked topic (above).

3) Yes, if country will cancel passport, ideally without renunciation of citizenship (assuming you wish to keep it).
See linked topic (above).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

hammody
Newly Registered

Re: Oh!! Passport application refused

Post by hammody » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:45 pm

Thanks guys.

I hope that my case is easier because the problem is my daughter's first name and not last name. I think I should be able to change he my Dauther's first name from Sarah only to Sarah George J.