ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance number

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

flanker

National Insurance number

Post by flanker » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:41 am

They ask for your National Insurance number in the ILR application form.

What do they do with it? Do they usually contact the HMRC to check on you? And if so, what kind of information they are allowed to obtain from the HMRC?

Maybe some of the experts on this forum know what the NI number is for?

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:47 am

Hmm...What have you got to hide..are you involved in any dodgy tax scams??:lol:

flanker

Post by flanker » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:47 am

Don't like the idea of some stranger having access to my HMRC data without my permission. (Well, maybe that's asking too much of the HMRC, since they themselves do have a tendency to 'lose' your data anyway)

Just want to find out what they do with the NI number.

You would expect the HMRC themselves to spot any tax scam, rather than someone from the Home Office.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:44 pm

I would imagine it's to check up on students working over the 20hr a term week limit.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

SYH
BANNED

Re: National Insurance number

Post by SYH » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:18 pm

flanker wrote:They ask for your National Insurance number in the ILR application form.

What do they do with it? Do they usually contact the HMRC to check on you? And if so, what kind of information they are allowed to obtain from the HMRC?

Maybe some of the experts on this forum know what the NI number is for?
Well I think that makes sense if you here on a WP, then i guess you should be making money, eh????
Besides checking on students hours worked, which I think this is one of their least concerns. there has been mention in the guidance of people declaring themselves as non domiciled for a tax benefits. Although technically, what is considered as non domicile is a tax term and not an equivalent basis or standard in immigration, it can help them assess the validity/accuracy/intent of your application.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:04 pm

Even if you didn't provide them with your NI number, it wouldn't be too difficult for them to find it out based on the other information you have to provide on the ILR form, like your birthdate and name!
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:53 pm

[quote="SYH"][quote="flanker"] there has been mention in the guidance of people declaring themselves as non domiciled for a tax benefits. /quote]

Hi SYH, which guidance mentions people who declare themselves non-domiciled for tax purposes? I checked the SET(o) guidance and I could find no mention of it. I am keen to find out more however, do you have a link to the guidance to which you refer?
'In everything give thanks'

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:50 pm

OFCHARITY wrote:
SYH wrote:
flanker wrote: there has been mention in the guidance of people declaring themselves as non domiciled for a tax benefits. /quote]

Hi SYH, which guidance mentions people who declare themselves non-domiciled for tax purposes? I checked the SET(o) guidance and I could find no mention of it. I am keen to find out more however, do you have a link to the guidance to which you refer?
try the one for naturalization

AlexCh

Post by AlexCh » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:03 pm

I think it is absolutely logical - if you are not paying taxes in this country - why should they give you ILR?

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:29 pm

Thanks SYH, I did do quite a bit of research on it and found that as regards to Naturalisation, it could possibly lead to a refusal, I am glad I came across this as I was of the impression and indeed a chartered accountant told me that claiming to be non-domiciled for tax purposes had no impact whatsoever on immigration issues. Alexch, non-domiciled persons still have to pay taxes on their UK income and any foreign income they remit to the UK, they just don't have to pay uk taxes on income they earn outside of the uk. It is entirely possible and legal for a british born citizen to claim to be non-domiciled as your domicile of origin is the country of your father's birth.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:34 pm

OFCHARITY wrote:Thanks SYH, I did do quite a bit of research on it and found that as regards to Naturalisation, it could possibly lead to a refusal, I am glad I came across this as I was of the impression and indeed a chartered accountant told me that claiming to be non-domiciled for tax purposes had no impact whatsoever on immigration issues. Alexch, non-domiciled persons still have to pay taxes on their UK income and any foreign income they remit to the UK, they just don't have to pay uk taxes on income they earn outside of the uk. It is entirely possible and legal for a british born citizen to claim to be non-domiciled as your domicile of origin is the country of your father's birth.
##They discuss it as a basis but I tend to agree with the accountant, that it shouldn't affect it because it is a tax construction. Plus you should be able to claim non domiciled until you obtain either permanent residency or citizenship. Remember you submit one year previous so you should be able to take advantage of the construction. You are domiciled to your country of origin, when the UK becomes your permanent domicile is a matter of perspective.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:06 pm

AlexCh wrote:I think it is absolutely logical - if you are not paying taxes in this country - why should they give you ILR?
Not everyone who is given ILR has to be in paid employment...

But that's not a good reason not give your NI number if asked for it, of course.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:26 am

OFCHARITY wrote:Thanks SYH, I did do quite a bit of research on it and found that as regards to Naturalisation, it could possibly lead to a refusal, I am glad I came across this as I was of the impression and indeed a chartered accountant told me that claiming to be non-domiciled for tax purposes had no impact whatsoever on immigration issues. Alexch, non-domiciled persons still have to pay taxes on their UK income and any foreign income they remit to the UK, they just don't have to pay uk taxes on income they earn outside of the uk. It is entirely possible and legal for a british born citizen to claim to be non-domiciled as your domicile of origin is the country of your father's birth.
So what is your situation, are you claming non domicile for a secondment assigment?? What did your accountant say when you explained him the possible ramifications of claiming nondomicile.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:34 am

SYH wrote:So what is your situation, are you claming non domicile for a secondment assigment?? What did your accountant say when you explained him the possible ramifications of claiming nondomicile.
Non-domiciled status (at least in the context of a tax concession) is on the way out anyway. I presume that new minimum tax provisions will be in place on 6th April and it's likely that either a Labour or Conservative government will move to insist that foreigners permanently resident in the U.K. pay their fair share of income tax.

No votes in giving tax shelters to rich foreigners - it's amazing the non-domiciled loopholes have been allowed to exist for so long.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:22 am

JAJ wrote:
SYH wrote:So what is your situation, are you claming non domicile for a secondment assigment?? What did your accountant say when you explained him the possible ramifications of claiming nondomicile.
Non-domiciled status (at least in the context of a tax concession) is on the way out anyway. I presume that new minimum tax provisions will be in place on 6th April and it's likely that either a Labour or Conservative government will move to insist that foreigners permanently resident in the U.K. pay their fair share of income tax.

No votes in giving tax shelters to rich foreigners - it's amazing the non-domiciled loopholes have been allowed to exist for so long.
JAJ people who claim non domicile status do pay their fair share of income tax. It is for situations, for example, you have property or did a quick job in a foreign country but you paid foreign taxes on it and you didn't bring the money back to the UK. It is the same concept as double taxation where you in fact you do bring the money back to the UK. So I would tone down this rheteric that people aren't paying their taxes. The reason it was put in there was to make sure people weren't paying too much taxes. Yes, some people took advantage of it like all tax angles and now they tightened the time frame on how long you can use this status.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:23 am

I presume that new minimum tax provisions will be in place on 6th April and it's likely that either a Labour or Conservative government will move to insist that foreigners permanently resident in the U.K. pay their fair share of income tax.
That will catch only the smaller players. The big fish will find that income tax in the UK is still a voluntary tax. For them, it always was and, possibly, always will be. The crux of the problem is that if you've got enough money you could channel some of your earnings to offshore trusts which income never needs to be declared if you never bring it into the UK.
...it's amazing the non-domiciled loopholes have been allowed to exist for so long
There are also 500K-800K illegal immigrants in the UK many if not all of whom don't pay their fair share of tax. The easiest way to get them to pay would be to regularise them but that, of course, is a contentious issue and not something any of the politicians are brave enough to tackle.
Hmm...What have you got to hide..are you involved in any dodgy tax scams??
It's a sad indictment of modern society not just that people demanding information are not made to justify those demands but that people requesting justification are suspected of having something to hide. The success of myspace, facebook, social bookmarking, big brother etc. shows people don't value their privacy anymore and that everyone is expected to not value theirs. :(

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:32 pm

SYH, in response to your queries ,at this time I am just doing my research on this issue.