ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Breach of Immigration Law and Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wadda_laura
Newly Registered

Re: Breach of Immigration Law and Naturalisation

Post by wadda_laura » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:46 pm

Brief history is my husband from Somalia came to UK as a student for 6 months English course in a private college at London in the start of 2007 and left UK in mid-2008 voluntarily without any removal notice, after exercising first and upper tribunal appeal rights but not high court appeal rights. His student visa extension was refused due to extended working hours without permission of secretary of state as he was working full-time at Tesco Extra in London. He again got entry in 2010 as Tier 1 (General) migrant from Mogadishu, Somalia. When he arrived at London airport, the immigration officer put him on hold and told him "there was his history on the system but he said it would be deleted on the system as you have got fresh entry. Do not worry about it". He is on ILR now. We were thinking he can get naturalized now but 10 yrs good character rule is prohibition. We have got 8 kids and we all 10 members left UK in 2008 voluntarily and got new entry now. We want to know when exactly he can apply for naturalisation and when we can? Other confusion is, Will the same 10 yrs rule apply on us (9 dependents) who did not breach visa condition but had to leave UK due to husband? We are much worried and not getting the way out of this. Hope this would assist to understand our situation.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:52 pm

Other confusion is, Will the same 10 yrs rule apply on us (9 dependents) who did not breach visa condition but had to leave UK due to husband?
No, it won't. Each person applying has to meet the requirements for citizenship. If you have 5 years residence and 1 year ILR, you can apply.

It appears that he will probably be able to apply from mid 2018 for citizenship, 10 years from when he left. Working in breach of visa conditions in 2007 could still be a problem though under the good character requirement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

longhorn

Post by longhorn » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:24 pm

I believe any naturalisation application within the 10 years of "when you were served the decision that raised the breach of immigration law" will be refused. In my personal opinion, arguably the safest time to make a naturalisation application will be 10 years from the date you voluntarily departed from UK.

If the fee has not been taken yet, cancelling the bank card would stop the payment and they won’t process the application without payment anyway.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:01 pm

CR001 wrote:
Other confusion is, Will the same 10 yrs rule apply on us (9 dependents) who did not breach visa condition but had to leave UK due to husband?
No, it won't. Each person applying has to meet the requirements for citizenship. If you have 5 years residence and 1 year ILR, you can apply.

It appears that he will probably be able to apply from mid 2018 for citizenship, 10 years from when he left.
+1. I agree with the above.
Working in breach of visa conditions in 2007 could still be a problem though under the good character requirement.
CR001, is there any particular reason why you believe this would still be a problem if he applies after the 10 year period?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:07 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
Working in breach of visa conditions in 2007 could still be a problem though under the good character requirement.
CR001, is there any particular reason why you believe this would still be a problem if he applies after the 10 year period?
Goes against the good character of an applicant. This aspect is likely not confined to only the last '10 years' but will be fully explored by HO particularly given that they are fully aware that he worked full time on a student visa, a clear breach and disregard for the immigration rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:34 pm

CR001 wrote:Goes against the good character of an applicant. This aspect is likely not confined to only the last '10 years' but will be fully explored by HO particularly given that they are fully aware that he worked full time on a student visa, a clear breach and disregard for the immigration rules.
I suppose assessment of Good Character is not quite clear-cut (but slightly more transparent, in terms timespan now by the introduction of the 10 year time period clause introduced in Dec 2014) and somewhat in the hands of the individual caseworker(s) looking at the immigration history. But I do see what you mean, that there is a difference between someone who wilfully attempts to deceive or evade rules/laws over short/long periods of time and others along with the reasons for doing so. The range is vast and diverse, with multiple shades of grey.

wadda_laura
Newly Registered

Post by wadda_laura » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:09 am

cs95tdg wrote:
CR001 wrote:Goes against the good character of an applicant. This aspect is likely not confined to only the last '10 years' but will be fully explored by HO particularly given that they are fully aware that he worked full time on a student visa, a clear breach and disregard for the immigration rules.
I suppose assessment of Good Character is not quite clear-cut (but slightly more transparent, in terms time-span now by the introduction of the 10 year time period clause introduced in Dec 2014) and somewhat in the hands of the individual caseworker(s) looking at the immigration history. But I do see what you mean, that there is a difference between someone who willfully attempts to deceive or evade rules/laws over short/long periods of time and others along with the reasons for doing so. The range is vast and diverse, with multiple shades of grey.
Sorry for putting wrong category for my husband's visa. He got re-entry as Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) not Tier 1 (General). You said that dependents will not be affected by 10 year rule. My husband visa extension was refused in Sep-2007 and from that time to Mid-2008 we were in appeals process and the appeals were unsuccessful. All of us (10 members) were having no leave to remain from mid-2007 to mid-2008. Will we (the dependents) be considered over-stayers at the time of naturalisation and 10 rule will be applied on us? Just want clarification about it. Thanks in advance!

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:15 pm

wadda_laura wrote: You said that dependents will not be affected by 10 year rule.
No, that's not what was said. You appear to have misunderstood. The response given was based on your input underlined below. Note that as mentioned below each individual will need to meet the requirements for citizenship in their own right. If any or all of you have a period of overstay or any other aspect where you fail to meet any of the citizenship requirements then you should take that into consideration when deciding the date to apply.
CR001 wrote:
No, it won't. Each person applying has to meet the requirements for citizenship.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:22 pm

wadda_laura wrote:My husband visa extension was refused in Sep-2007 and from that time to Mid-2008 we were in appeals process and the appeals were unsuccessful. All of us (10 members) were having no leave to remain from mid-2007 to mid-2008. Will we (the dependents) be considered over-stayers at the time of naturalisation and 10 rule will be applied on us?
With respect to your immigration status while your appeals were in process, my understanding is that if the original application and any subsequent applications were made in time, before your previous leave expiring then you would be covered by section 3c/d. So the exact date when your overstay period began, would very much depend on the specifics of your applications. You may want to wait for others more knowledgeable on this to comment further.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:23 pm

wadda_laura wrote:...

All of us (10 members) were having no leave to remain from mid-2007 to mid-2008. Will we (the dependents) be considered over-stayers at the time of naturalisation and 10 rule will be applied on us? Just want clarification about it. Thanks in advance!
There is no concept of a family application for the privilege of citizenship.

Each applicant will be assessed on their own merits; the good character requirement will be applied to all applicants, case by case (and also to any minors applying to register as citizens if over 10 years old).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

wadda_laura
Newly Registered

Post by wadda_laura » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:07 pm

We are so thankful to you nice guys for providing us so much assistance; Please let me know
1. When the over stay period starts? The date when last appeal is rejected or the expiry date of previous visa?
2. How home office considers this overstay period/time for the dependants which is taken due to appeal process of main applicant's visa rejection, winding up themselves forever and voluntarily leaving the country.
3. We all the dependant re-entered in Jan-2014. Can home office say all the dependants (me and 6 kids except the 2 kids born in Somalia) have also breached immigration law not for breaching visa conditions but in terms of over-stay within 10 years preceding naturalisation applications.
4. Since when dependants' 10 yrs rule for character requirement is started? Mid-2008 (country leave time) or Jan-2014 (re-entry date)?
5. Does it mean me and my 6 kids have to meet the 10 yrs character requirement and 2 kids do not as they were born in Somalia after leaving UK.
The good character guidance does not say anything regarding the issues like this. Whenever we call home office, every time we get different answer. We are much depressed now and not finding the way out.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:30 pm

costarica wrote:My advice is to ask Ho this questions by emailing to nationality enquirer and u get the real answer and same time send a copy of the email u will receive with ur application if they will say to u u can apply now , u r waisting ur time here
Interesting that as a new member with only 9 posts, you've decided that the forum is a waste of time for the OP. :roll:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:52 pm

wadda_laura wrote:We are so thankful to you nice guys for providing us so much assistance; Please let me know
The good character guidance does not say anything regarding the issues like this. Whenever we call home office, every time we get different answer. We are much depressed now and not finding the way out.
The guidance that the caseworkers use are comprehensive and quite detailed; depending on the category of breach of rules/regulations there are different time periods involved.
For example, for breach of immigration rules: count back from date of application (section 9.7 of linked document.

Minors under 10 years won't be included in such checks.
Other minors may be treated with greater discretion as they will not have been responsible for any such actions.

costarica
BANNED

Post by costarica » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:03 pm

Casa wrote:
costarica wrote:My advice is to ask Ho this questions by emailing to nationality enquirer and u get the real answer and same time send a copy of the email u will receive with ur application if they will say to u u can apply now , u r waisting ur time here
Interesting that as a new member with only 9 posts, you've decided that the forum is a waste of time for the OP. :roll:
If u think the number of the posts make u a better adviser , this is my 3rd user name , yes is waste of time for this case and only the Ho will guarantee them advice especially if will be in writing and they are the only one who can see what's in the applicants immigration history , and no one here can do this

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:10 pm

costarica wrote:If u think the number of the posts make u a better adviser , this is my 3rd user name , yes is waste of time for this case and only the Ho will guarantee them advice especially if will be in writing and they are the only one who can see what's in the applicants immigration history , and no one here can do this
The only form of written advice HO is likely to provide is via the medium of a refusal letter.

Unclear how trolling members under 3 usernames counts for much.