ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR application refused as student now applying as child

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

yvonnew
Newly Registered

PR application refused as student now applying as child

Post by yvonnew » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi everyone,

Very sorry to butt in, but I'm getting a bit nervous about my application. I'm an EU citizen and here is my timeline:

Application sent: 10/3/2016
Money taken: 14/3/2016
Confirmation e-mail received: 06/4/2016

And I've heard nothing since, so I am a bit worried that most people here have gotten theirs back in 3 months...
Has anyone else experienced longer wait? If I get in touch with the home office, are they allowed to give me any information on my case, or do I have to wait here in agony until the 6th month mark? Thank you for your help!

yvonnew
Newly Registered

Re: Application for PR or PR card: form EEA (PR) - UpToDate

Post by yvonnew » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:25 pm

On another note, I have to say, this process has been unnecessarily stressful. It's obvious they've had a massive rise in applications in the recent months and hired a lot of extra staff, but the staff are incredibly misinformed and unhelpful.
I've called them late March to ask about the process of requesting my passport back for travel, and I've been informed it's not possible, when I googled it later I've found out I can request my passport back online and I received it after second request.
Then I was told I will need to wait to receive a biometrics card, twice, by two different people. I did a bit of searching and called them to clarify and I was assured that was not the case.

Bumble

Post by Bumble » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:03 pm

yvonnew wrote:Hi everyone,

Very sorry to butt in, but I'm getting a bit nervous about my application. I'm an EU citizen and here is my timeline:

And I've heard nothing since, so I am a bit worried that most people here have gotten theirs back in 3 months...
Has anyone else experienced longer wait? If I get in touch with the home office, are they allowed to give me any information on my case, or do I have to wait here in agony until the 6th month mark? Thank you for your help!
They are not obliged to give you any information until after 6 months and this they seem to stick to. At least with your email confirmation you should have a case number, which is more than seems most receive recently, so I guess you could get lucky and someone can assist you, though they do seem unwilling to do so. Always worth a go right?

Stefan7 received his DCPR after 105 days, though his document was dated 24 days earlier. It seems they have a lag for sending out the confirmations after they are approved as well as delay in processing.

I assume you have not changed address and it could have been sent to your old place?
EU(14) DCPR Timeline
Docs sent: 08/04/2016
Docs received: 11/04/2016
Payment taken: 14/04/2016
Confirmation email: N/A
Passport requested: 14/07/2016
HO requested info: 15/07/2016
DCPR dated: 18/07/2016
DCPR received: 30/07/2016
Total time: 113 days

yvonnew
Newly Registered

Post by yvonnew » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:14 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

Sooooo.... My application was refused, on the basis that I didn't have comprehensive health insurance and couldn't prove that I was self sufficient as a student.
Completely my fault, because I didn't even realise these were requirements.

I am actually FUMING that they need comprehensive sickness insurance, tho, it's something most EU migrants wouldn't have even thought about, NHS being a free service for all European Citizens, I certainly didn't!
And god knows how I am going to prove to them that I have been self sufficient as a 14 year old student.

It just so happens that I do have European Health Card my parents got me when we went travelling back when I was 15, so I am submitting an appeal.

However, the years they decided to graciously accept that I was a student, I was a minor under 21. I was 14-19 years old. Is comprehensive insurance really necessary in that case?

I'm submitting my parents tax returns and passport copies and neutralisation papers as evidence that they have supported me during that time.

Does anyone know if that will be enough? That's what I've been told on the phone, but I've stopped trusting what they tell me...

Does anyone know if it's ok to submit new evidence in an appeal?

Super sad and anxious.

yvonnew
Newly Registered

Post by yvonnew » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:55 pm

yvonnew wrote:

Good afternoon everyone,

Sooooo.... My application was refused, on the basis that I didn't have comprehensive health insurance and couldn't prove that I was self sufficient as a student.
Completely my fault, because I didn't even realise these were requirements.

I am actually FUMING that they need comprehensive sickness insurance, tho, it's something most EU migrants wouldn't have even thought about, NHS being a free service for all European Citizens, I certainly didn't!
And god knows how I am going to prove to them that I have been self sufficient as a 14 year old student.

It just so happens that I do have European Health Card my parents got me when we went travelling back when I was 15, so I am submitting an appeal.

However, the years they decided to graciously accept that I was a student, I was a minor under 21. I was 14-19 years old. Is comprehensive insurance really necessary in that case?

I'm submitting my parents tax returns and passport copies and neutralisation papers as evidence that they have supported me during that time.

Does anyone know if that will be enough? That's what I've been told on the phone, but I've stopped trusting what they tell me...

Does anyone know if it's ok to submit new evidence in an appeal?

Super sad and anxious.

Hello again, very sorry for the long panicking post, I am in touch with Citizens Advice Beauro and I'll be calling up the Home Office again, but meanwhile, I will really appreciate any pointers...

I have now found out that my European Health Insurance card has been issued in the UK and therefore is invalid.

So, I'm applying on the basis that I was student from 2006 till 2014, while under age, aged 14-21. I can provide evidence that my parent, an EEA national, has been in the UK for the same period of time, continuously employed, therefore not in need of comprehensive sickness insurance, and I was their dependent and depended on them financially.

I now realise, that I perhaps should have submitted the form as a family member of an EEA national, is that correct?

If so, can I appeal Home Office decision on those grounds and provide new evidence in my appeal or will it be automatically rejected because I did not apply with this information originally?

Is it therefore better to submit a new form?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate any input. Very saddened by this whole thing, and the fact that I had rushed it and lack of clear answers from the HO throughout the process :(

noajthan

Re: PR application refused as student now applying as child

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:17 pm

To avoid confusion & jumbled responses, I have moved your question to its own thread (this one).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:25 pm

Pro tip: don't rely on HO helpline; answers are variable and advisors are not held accountable.

Get up to speed on direct family members here in HO guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_v3_0.pdf

Note minors (under age 21) do not need to demonstrate financial dependency on a sponsor but merely their relationship to their parent/qualified person sponsor.
And if being sponsored the minor does not need to exercise treaty rights nor have CSI.

Is your sponsor an A8 national? if so, was s/he fully and properly registered for WRS if working in/before 2011?

yvonnew
Newly Registered

Post by yvonnew » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:39 pm

Thank you for the separate topic, and sorry for rambling on too much!

Yes my parent is an A8 national, however she has always been self-employed. There was no gaps in employment.

Also, just co clarify, I was under 21 between 2006 till 2012, I am now nearly 25, I'm not sure if that has any implications. The refusal letter states I have provided enough evidence that I was a student between 2006 and 2012.

To complicate this further, my parent was classed as EEA national at the time, but has obtained Citizenship in 2014.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:53 pm

yvonnew wrote:Thank you for the separate topic, and sorry for rambling on too much!

Yes my parent is an A8 national, however she has always been self-employed. There was no gaps in employment.

Also, just co clarify, I was under 21 between 2006 till 2012, I am now nearly 25, I'm not sure if that has any implications. The refusal letter states I have provided enough evidence that I was a student between 2006 and 2012.

To complicate this further, my parent was classed as EEA national at the time, but has obtained Citizenship in 2014.
A Union citizen, once a BC, can't sponsor family members so you need to choose a 5 year period ending before 2014.

As your sponsor was self-employed then you have no WRS nonsense to worry about.
The period 2006-2011 or 2007-2012 would appear to be a good choice if you have rock-solid supporting evidence from you and parent for that period.

yvonnew
Newly Registered

Post by yvonnew » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:00 pm

Thank you so much for your help! :D

Yes, my parents situation is rather clear, she has all of her tax returns, mortgage, etc, that's good news at least!
So, she can sponsor me for any period prior to her obtaining British Citizenship is that correct?
And my application for 2006-2011 will count retrospectively as an application for a minor?
That's fantastic.

Do you think an appeal will stand a chance, or will they refuse it since all of this is technically new information?
I did fill out the part of the form, which asked about my immediate family in the UK, and the case worker was aware that in the period he decided to consider I was a minor, but I'm not sure if that would be pushing my luck...

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:09 pm

yvonnew wrote:Thank you so much for your help! :D

Yes, my parents situation is rather clear, she has all of her tax returns, mortgage, etc, that's good news at least!
So, she can sponsor me for any period prior to her obtaining British Citizenship is that correct?
And my application for 2006-2011 will count retrospectively as an application for a minor?
That's fantastic.

Do you think an appeal will stand a chance, or will they refuse it since all of this is technically new information?
I did fill out the part of the form, which asked about my immediate family in the UK, and the case worker was aware that in the period he decided to consider I was a minor, but I'm not sure if that would be pushing my luck...
Yes, correct.
As per my understanding, there's no problem with applying for one of those suggested periods.

All applications relate to the past as the DCPR is simply a confirmatory document of a status already acquired automatically.

An appeal may drag on for too long, it may be prudent, in these uncertain times, to simply apply again.
(Did I mention the need for rock-solid if not unimpeachable documentary supporting evidence?).

Regarding your parent/sponsor, read up on qualified persons in HO guidance here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf

yvonnew
Newly Registered

Post by yvonnew » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:24 pm

That's wonderful!

My sponsors evidence is even more solid than a rock, so that's one worry over.
My education evidence was slightly sketchier as it was a mixture of provisional and final education certificates, but it seems it has passed the test...

I was hoping to appeal to avoid having to send off my passport, yet again, as I will be travelling in September. (I don't need to supply old evidence again, unless it relates directly to why I am appealing their decision, right...?) Again, I was told on the phone appeal should be resolved within 6 months, but who knows. I'll gather everything together and weigh up my options...

Thank you so much for your help, I've had a scan through the guidelines and it helped a lot, I will study them this week before I decide to do anything...

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:35 pm

yvonnew wrote:That's wonderful!

My sponsors evidence is even more solid than a rock, so that's one worry over.
My education evidence was slightly sketchier as it was a mixture of provisional and final education certificates, but it seems it has passed the test...

I was hoping to appeal to avoid having to send off my passport, yet again, as I will be travelling in September. (I don't need to supply old evidence again, unless it relates directly to why I am appealing their decision, right...?) Again, I was told on the phone appeal should be resolved within 6 months, but who knows. I'll gather everything together and weigh up my options...

Thank you so much for your help, I've had a scan through the guidelines and it helped a lot, I will study them this week before I decide to do anything...
You don't have to prove anything about your education except in that it helps prove residence.

Otherwise you need to prove your identities (you plus sponsor), your relationship to sponsor, both parties residing in UK in same continuous period (not even cohabiting) and sponsor exercising treaty rights.
Also any absences (by either party) within prescribed limits (up until present time).

You can request documents be returned a few weeks after filing your application (if you reapply).
Good luck.