ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR FROM WIFE

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chef biryani
Newly Registered

ILR FROM WIFE

Post by chef biryani » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:54 pm

HI
I MET MY WIFE IN ENGLAND ,WHEN WE BOTH WERE ON WORK PERMIT
WE GOT MARRIED LAST YEAR IN APRIL
MY WIFE GOT HER ILR IN NOVEMBER 2007
CAN I GET THE SAME STATUS BEING HER HUSBAND OR WILL I HAVE WAIT TO FINISH MY REST OF THE PERIOD ON WORKPERMIT WHICH IS 10MONTHS
ALSO I CAME IN THIS COUNTRY ON A SBS WORKPERMIT FOR MY FIRST YEAR,AND THEN CHANGED IT TO 5 YRS WORK PERMIT WITH RESIDENT VISA
WILL MY ONE YEAR ON SBS WORPERMIT GO WASTE.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME
THANKS A LOT
RAY[/u]

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:03 am

Hello

As far as I know the SBS time will not count towards the 5 years.

Did you leave the UK after SBS and then return on the 5 year work permit? If not, you may have problems.

I do not know about the rest.

Regards

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:06 am

You could have applied for ILR in the same application as hers. SO you should be able to apply now.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:43 am

VictoriaS wrote:You could have applied for ILR in the same application as hers. SO you should be able to apply now.

Victoria
Wrong, since the OP is NOT a dependant on his wife, he cannot apply at the same as his wife...

AFAIK, the OP will now have to apply for a spouse visa first and then can apply for ILR after 2 yrs or can apply for BC after 3 yrs in the UK provided his wife gets BC in the meantime, since he will be married to a BC...

correct me if I am wrong

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:06 am

If you didn't change to being your wife's dependent, then it may be quicker to complete the 10 months on your work permit before applying for settlement, rather than switching now to spouse status and waiting another 2 years.

Even if your wife became a British Citizen, I believe you cannot now apply for British Citizenship without first having ILR (The end of the ppron method?).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.