ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 (general) to Spouse ILR clock

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Joelm2400
Newly Registered

Tier 2 (general) to Spouse ILR clock

Post by Joelm2400 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:19 pm

I've been living in the UK now for a little over two years on a tier 2 (general) visa. We've been considering a switch for me into a spouse visa for the additional flexibility. We meet all the requirements so I doubt the application itself would have any problems. My question is, does the 5 year clock for ILR reset to zero when switching to a spouse visa?

I've tried searching in these forums and online, and can't seem to find a definitive answer. Anyone have any experience with this?

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 2 (general) to Spouse ILR clock

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:36 pm

Yes, the immigration clock will be reset to zero for a new 5 year route to ILR.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Joelm2400
Newly Registered

Post by Joelm2400 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Casa wrote:Yes, the immigration clock will be reset to zero for a new 5 year route to ILR.
Well that sucks :(

Is there any specific law or case law around this, or just from experience?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:41 pm

It's within the Immigration Rules, but if you search the forum you'll find many examples. All legal residence will count for ILR under 10 year long residence and for British citizenship.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Joelm2400
Newly Registered

Post by Joelm2400 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:45 pm

Casa wrote:It's within the Immigration Rules, but if you search the forum you'll find many examples. All legal residence will count for ILR under 10 year long residence and for British citizenship.
Ah so it's only for the 10 year route that the clock doesn't reset (if I understand you correctly). I did try searching the forums but had no luck.

Ah well, wanted a simple answer and got it. Thanks :)

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:52 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.