ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing dependent parent to UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hsmp_distressed

Bringing dependent parent to UK

Post by hsmp_distressed » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:59 am

Hello Everyone,
In response to my earlier post, I was told that I cannot file for my dependent mother under HSMP. I want to understand then how do I go about doing it? Has anyone ever done something like this -- I bet a lot have. Please help me out people. Is there a chance that if mother files for an independent visitor/tourist visa that'd work? I am told these last for 6 months. That'd do for me for now. Any help is very appreciated, or u can send me a private message as well.

jagacharaja

Re: Bringing dependent parent to UK

Post by jagacharaja » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:57 am

Welcome to my long-standing dilemma and complaint regarding UK immigration: lack of family immigration.

I'm not aware if parents fall under the category of dependent visas while applying for HSMP EC - maybe others on the board can address that.

What I do know thanks to the advice on this and other relevant boards is this: Once we have ILR (long time coming) we can try to claim our parents' dependency under special circumstances and hope that their ILR is approved. This is the only way I know, and it really sucks. I'm not aware of the success rate under this scenario either.

This info is based on research from a few months ago, so if anyone has any updates on this they'd like to share, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, and good luck.

PS: OP - Do share your findings on this.
hsmp_distressed wrote:Hello Everyone,
In response to my earlier post, I was told that I cannot file for my dependent mother under HSMP. I want to understand then how do I go about doing it? Has anyone ever done something like this -- I bet a lot have. Please help me out people. Is there a chance that if mother files for an independent visitor/tourist visa that'd work? I am told these last for 6 months. That'd do for me for now. Any help is very appreciated, or u can send me a private message as well.

hsmp_distressed

Post by hsmp_distressed » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:11 am

Hi,
Suppose that I have a HSMP visa following EC clearance. How long do I need to stay in UK before my dependent parent can apply for a family visitor visa? Does anyone have any idea on this?

pdeshpande

Post by pdeshpande » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:16 am

Dear hsmp_distressed,

You can bring your mother in 3-4 months after you reach UK and secure a job. Basically you will need to prove to the EC officer that you will be able to financially support your mother and not claim any public funds. For this you will need to show your UK employment details like appt. letter, salary slips etc.

Also, for your mother, you may show any investments done by her, your house details(copy of agreement etc.), her bank account statements. Basic aim is as I said you will be able to support her financially in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

pdeshpande

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:58 am

pdeshpande wrote:Dear hsmp_distressed,

You can bring your mother in 3-4 months after you reach UK and secure a job. Basically you will need to prove to the EC officer that you will be able to financially support your mother and not claim any public funds. For this you will need to show your UK employment details like appt. letter, salary slips etc.

Also, for your mother, you may show any investments done by her, your house details(copy of agreement etc.), her bank account statements. Basic aim is as I said you will be able to support her financially in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

pdeshpande
But, this will be as visitor. She will not have dependent status. She needs to return back, after some time(I'm not sure if it's 3 months or 6 months).

I read somewhere that, only if your parents are 65 above, and needs your support, in some cases you can take them as dependent(But, need some reading about it.)

Ashekt

Post by Ashekt » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:24 pm

I am now on FLR and I have recently called my parents to UK. They applied from India and submitted a letter from me stating that I have enough funds and accomodation to take care of them while they are here and also providing details of my bank account and proof of work along with my spouse's as well...they got a 6 months visa...

Markie

Post by Markie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:20 pm

based on your current status...only visit visa can be used. No other way to bring her for a longer time period. That is how the system has been set-up.

See also the ruling...Rules - Parents

There is also an active consultation document from the HO that plans to reduce the vist visa from 6mos to 3 mos. Be prepared.
Ashekt wrote:I am now on FLR and I have recently called my parents to UK. They applied from India and submitted a letter from me stating that I have enough funds and accomodation to take care of them while they are here and also providing details of my bank account and proof of work along with my spouse's as well...they got a 6 months visa...

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:42 am

As far as I know you can apply for a dependant status for your parents as well on compassionate grounds. The details can be found on the ukvisas website.
Although I do not know how tough getting that might be

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:49 pm

This information is confusing. WHat do you mean here is probably visitor VISA not dependant VISA. AS have been hightlight by other memebr after certain period normally currently less than 6 months thy need to return home.

pdeshpande wrote:Dear hsmp_distressed,

Hope this helps.

Regards,

pdeshpande
Pantaiema

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:51 pm

About your parent as your depandant, the main point is that you need to prove that They rely entirely on you, nobody at home take care of them, husband/wife, your siblings, his/her siblings, etc. yes and of course other requirements such as you could prove that you could support them.

This have been discussed many times in
"General Immigration forum http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewforum.php?f=3
-"Immigration for family members http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewforum.php?f=6

Good Luck

[]
Pantaiema

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:15 am

In any case even if you take then on visitor visa the visa can be issued for a max of 10 years provided there are sufficient sums involved and they cannot stay for a max of more than 6 months on each visit.

It again is not very difficult what you can dois get your parents another tourist visa of say france send them to france for one day and then they can return the next day to UK for another 6 months this is not my idea but I was given this by an agent i dont know how feasible this is but it sounds good to me.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:51 am

pranjam wrote: It again is not very difficult what you can dois get your parents another tourist visa of say france send them to france for one day and then they can return the next day to UK for another 6 months this is not my idea but I was given this by an agent i dont know how feasible this is but it sounds good to me.
This idea may or may not work always and there are chances of jeopardising further visits to the UK...

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:57 am

olisun wrote:
pranjam wrote: It again is not very difficult what you can dois get your parents another tourist visa of say france send them to france for one day and then they can return the next day to UK for another 6 months this is not my idea but I was given this by an agent i dont know how feasible this is but it sounds good to me.
This idea may or may not work always and there are chances of jeopardising further visits to the UK...
Yes, I agree with you. Never try to fool immigration officer.

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:19 am

I dont understand once uve secured a VISA valid for 10 years how can an immigration officer stop you can they cancel your visa over this

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:30 am

pranjam wrote:I dont understand once uve secured a VISA valid for 10 years how can an immigration officer stop you can they cancel your visa over this
Read http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary
point 4 .
4. FREQUENCY AND DURATION OF VISITS

That should give you idea.

reincarnation

Post by reincarnation » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:31 am

oh yeah ofcourse...having a 10 year stamp doesn't mean anything...You are at their mercy if you intend to play pranks...

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:25 am

well as per the document no visitor can stay for more than 6 months in the UK for any 12 months then the only option left is to go for the compassionate grounds plea

HSMP has a real drawback in this sense that u cant take ur parents with you. I know that if you apply for canadian PR you can apply for a PR for your parents as well after 1 year something of that sort should come up for HSMP also

Hopefully they will do something about this also sometime in future

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:29 am

What abt. USA??..IF u get USA GC/Citizen ship, do they give Citizenship to parents??I would be intretsed to know this..This is not to suggest that USA is the benchmark setter..

reincarnation

Post by reincarnation » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:35 am

GC and citizenship are two diff things...and parents dont get citizenship ...

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:16 pm

pranjam wrote: HSMP has a real drawback in this sense that u cant take ur parents with you.
Definition of dependents is different in India from other countries. You should not expect other countries should consider this.

Again, UK has also some rule to bring your parents to UK, if they are really 'dependent' on you.

But, we should consider this, when applying for HSMP initially.

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:50 pm

I think the legal definitions of a dependant are pretty much the same everywhere but still UK continues to have very strict regulations for dependant parents however other immigrant plans are much more lenient in comparison

I just hope they come out with something more suitable for immigrants like other countries

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:59 pm

pranjam wrote:I think the legal definitions of a dependant are pretty much the same everywhere
Yes, and that defines spouse and children under 18 as dependent. Not parents.

And as mentioned already, you can bring your parents to UK(after ILR) as dependent, provided they satisfy conditions given by home office UK. Where you need to prove that they really need your support.