ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How do I divorce relative in Azad Kashmir?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

h4ss4n
Newly Registered

How do I divorce relative in Azad Kashmir?

Post by h4ss4n » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:33 pm

I'm a British Citizen and got married to a relative in Azad Kashmir in 2008. I was pressured into the marriage and foolishly went ahead with it. I stayed in Azad Kashmir for around a week and returned to the UK.I notifed the Forced Marriage Unit about my siutation and notified the consulate (I think) in Pakistan about what had happened. When my relative (wife) went for her visa interview she was denied access.

Some years later I actually got to know someone from Karachi in Pakistan and am seriously considering marriage but the only thing holding me back is what happened in 2008.

What I want to know is:

1. Am I still legally married to my relative?

2. If so, How do I go about getting a divorce - whats the process and who do I get in touch with (address, phone numbers)?

3. If I decided to get married from Pakistan (Not Azad Kashmir) will immigration clearance be aware of what happened in 2008 and assuming any potential wife is refused visa?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - its very stressful!

h4ss4n
Newly Registered

Re: How do I divorce relative in Azad Kashmir?

Post by h4ss4n » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:17 pm

I have managed to locate an english translated copy of my nikah certificate - you can view it by clicking link to my google drive - hope this helps?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:26 pm

You live in the UK, why can't you divorce through the courts here?

1. Yes, you are still legally married. What proof or evidence do you have that you are not?

2. You live in the UK, why can't you divorce through the courts here? This will make things a lot easier for you if you remarry.

3. Yes, they will as your current spouse applied for a visa and was refused. If you marry and apply for spouse visa, you have to declare your previous marriage and submit the divorce papers to prove you are free to marry. Suggest don't even think about marrying until you are divorced.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

h4ss4n
Newly Registered

Post by h4ss4n » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:32 pm

Hi Char

Thanks for the response.

So just to make clear that eventhough I had a nikah in azad kashmir I can still apply for a divorce from here?

Awesome - makes life much much easier!

Will the attached nikah document suffice when I petition a divorce and would I have to request that the application be translated into urdu so they can understand it in Kashmir?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:36 pm

If you have a valid marriage certificate, the courts in the UK will accept it.

Translate to urdu for what purpose??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

h4ss4n
Newly Registered

Post by h4ss4n » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:40 pm

Translate so the wife in Kashmir can read it?

She donto read or speak English!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:40 am

That is an issue for you then, to have it officially translated for her.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

h4ss4n
Newly Registered

Post by h4ss4n » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Does anybody know where I can obtain an original copy of the nikah certificate within azad kashmir (contact details) as I only have a copy :(

rukhsarmanzoor
United Kingdom

Post by rukhsarmanzoor » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:33 pm

If I recall right, there are 4 forms you sign during the Nikah, so 4 'Originals' of the Nikah Nama.

One is for the bride, one for the groom, and the last 2 I believe are for the Union Council (Tehsil) Register. So I guess you would check with the Union Council your marriage is registered with in Azad Kashmir, or if you can (not sure how realistic this is as the nikah was 8 years ago) contact the Qazi who performed your Nikah for help on getting hold of a copy.

If your marriage was registered (when you got the attestation stamp) in Mirpur, let me know and I'll find out if I can get an address/number for you?

Hope your situation is resolved soon inshaAllah.
Pakistan Spouse Visa Application
Online Application: 01/08/16
Biometrics: 09/08/16, Islamabad
Supporting docs sent to Sheffield: 09/08/16
Supporting docs received back: 12/08/16
Collection: 02/11/16
Visa granted alhamdulillah!

h4ss4n
Newly Registered

Post by h4ss4n » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:38 pm

Salaam Rukhsar

I've uploaded my nikah certificate (attested) if you click on link to my G drive you should be able to see it?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:22 pm

Was this Marriage consummated, given that it was a forced marriage, the question to that is uncertain?

If it was not, then you may be able to go for an annulment, given all the facts that you have stated.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors