ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying 1st British Passport Overseas after Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tier1app

Applying 1st British Passport Overseas after Naturalisation

Post by tier1app » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi all;

Re: Applying 1st British Passport Overseas after Naturalisation?

I have just submitted my naturalisation application earlier this month without getting the passport at the same time. Due to some personal reasons, I am consdiering applying for my first British passport overseas after I have been approved and attended the ceremony. I have done some rearches and gathered that; 1. You can apply for a passport online overseas (though it would cost more an take longer.) 2. You have to travel into GB with a British sassport after you are naturalised. And I have heard cases from close friends where the overseas born babies to British parents applied and received thier first passports aboard before returning home to the UK but no cases of adult applications yet.

So my questions are;

1. Would I have any problem leaving the UK straight after my ceremony with my Citizenship Certifate but without a ILR permit?
2. If there was a deadline by which you need to apply for the passport after your are naturalised? or as long as you travel into the UK with a British passport then you are fine?
3. Any successful overseas adult passport applications if members here would kindly share?

Thanks in advance for your time and valuable comments.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying 1st British Passport Overseas after Naturalisat

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:48 pm

1. You can leave, no problem. It is returning that is the issue and where you would need a visa/ILR BRP or BC Passport.

2. No, there is no deadline. Many British born people never apply for a passport. There is no law that says you must enter the UK on a British passport.

3. Most applicants apply within the UK due to the long delays for applications from abroad. You will have to send your naturalisation certificate with your overseas passport application and your uncancelled foreign passports.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tier1app

Post by tier1app » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:49 am

Thanks CR001, you are so helpful as always.

1. That raises something very interesting; I am actually a registered traveller so I don't fill any landing cards, getting visa checked nor fingers scanned, so I can literally come in through e-gate without any questions asked. That being said, the traveller programme is linked to my ILR permit so it really depends if HO really invalidates it.

2. Really? I am pretty sure I read somewhere that you need to come into the UK with a British Passport, else your Citizenship would be taken away; maybe I read it wrong! so are you saying that I am still able to come in with my current passport as a tourist even after I am naturalised as Citizen? well, I guess I can't see why not either.

I know there are these Premium (1 day) or Fast Track (1 week) service for passport in the UK; but I am not sure if you can use them on the first adult passport?
https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgen ... ek-service

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:49 am

You will be required to attend an interview before the passport can be issued.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:42 am

tier1app wrote:2. Really? I am pretty sure I read somewhere that you need to come into the UK with a British Passport, else your Citizenship would be taken away;
Do you have a link? I would love to know where you read that.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:55 pm

tier1app wrote:Thanks CR001, you are so helpful as always.

1. That raises something very interesting; I am actually a registered traveller so I don't fill any landing cards, getting visa checked nor fingers scanned, so I can literally come in through e-gate without any questions asked. That being said, the traveller programme is linked to my ILR permit so it really depends if HO really invalidates it. Your ILR is cancelled on acquisition of citizenship.

2. Really? I am pretty sure I read somewhere that you need to come into the UK with a British Passport, else your Citizenship would be taken away; maybe I read it wrong! Absolute nonsense, there is no such law/rule, unless of course you have a linked source to this, which officially there isn't.

I know there are these Premium (1 day) or Fast Track (1 week) service for passport in the UK; but I am not sure if you can use them on the first adult passport? This service is not available for first adult passport applications.
https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgen ... ek-service
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:12 pm

Actually, I remember reading somewhere that obtaining a first adult passport overseas will not have an interview process. Hence, you may be given a passport with a lesser validity than 10 years (I remember reading 1 year passport or so). Only when you renew it (with a potential interview process), will you get a full 10 year passport.

But I could be wrong. All the best.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:18 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ce0616.pdf

Identity interviews
In some cases we may call you for an identity
interview in order to verify details in your application.
This will take place outside of the UK and, as far
as is possible, we will attempt to secure a location
that minimises inconvenience. In the case of child
applications we may need to talk to one or both
parents of the child. The interview will help us
to confirm your identity and that the passport
application we have checked belongs to you. You may
also be asked to attend interview with additional
documentation. This is an important part of our
commitment to help to reduce identity fraud. It will
help us to spot and prevent other people using your
identity and committing fraud in your name.
You should send us your application form in the
normal way. If an interview is considered necessary
we will then contact you. This process will increase the
time it takes for us to process your application.

You will be without your national passport while the application is being processed and the estimated time is a minimum of 8 weeks.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:39 pm

tier1app wrote:2. Really? I am pretty sure I read somewhere that you need to come into the UK with a British Passport, else your Citizenship would be taken away; maybe I read it wrong! so are you saying that I am still able to come in with my current passport as a tourist even after I am naturalised as Citizen? well, I guess I can't see why not either.
Australians have been refused entry to the UK because they've come without a visa but intending to work, despite their denials. It seems that the proper course would be to fly like a tourist but present your naturalisation certificate to the Immigration Officer. We've not heard of a British citizen being turned away in such a case. The instructions say you should be treated like a mere British national in such a case, so presumably the Immigration Officers have been flexible. It seems this often happens with underdocumented British citizens.