ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I withdraw from uni after ILR application?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sunnyday

Can I withdraw from uni after ILR application?

Post by sunnyday » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:35 pm

I am planning to take a year out from uni to do a placement after my ILR. Is it possible to withdraw from uni while waiting for my ILR outcome? or do I still have to fulfil the duty as a student after sending out the ILR application?

I think what im asking is can we stay in this country doing nothing but waiting for the outcome of our application after its sent off?

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:18 pm

You must consider the risk; if for some strange reason the ILR application is refused, maybe the desicion is delayed and you receive a negative response in 4-6 months time...then you would be exposed to problems with the ILR in the future. One scenario could be the HO decides that you need two - six - ten more months and if you drop out of university then you would have reset your clock effectibly....
Only you can measure the risk, if you have a student visa and are applying for ILR on the 10 year concesion then the risk is high....
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

sunnyday

Post by sunnyday » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:35 pm

why does my clock reset to 0 if i drop out??

i was thinking we could stay in this country legally after an application is sent for consideration?

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:43 pm

sunnyday wrote:why does my clock reset to 0 if i drop out??

i was thinking we could stay in this country legally after an application is sent for consideration?
A lot of people seem to be having trouble with long residence applications recently..If I were you, I wouldn`t risk it..

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:49 pm

sunnyday, do be aware that until the ILR is granted you are still on the student visa. Accordingly I agree it is a risk dropping out of university until you know for certain that the ILR has been granted.
John

sunnyday

Post by sunnyday » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:11 pm

oh my.

I need to stay a student as long as im on student visa right?

Is it alright to start a completely new course at a different place cause the whole reason of wanting to take a year out/withdraw is because i don't wish to pursue the same course anymore.