ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

getting french nationality while living in uk?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sam173
Newly Registered

getting french nationality while living in uk?

Post by sam173 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:31 pm

hi there

if u dont mind can u please answere my one more question .

If i want to applie for the french nationality while living in england what will be the process. i already applye for EEA" form for residence permit .where i have to start, what doc i need for that.

waiting for your kind help

thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: getting french nationality while living in uk?

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:38 pm

sam173 wrote:hi there

If i want to applie for the french nationality while living in england what will be the process. i already applye for EEA" form for residence permit .where i have to start, what doc i need for that.

thanks
I doubt it's possible to get ANY nationality without residency......
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:45 pm

sam173 wrote:hi there

thanks
You are kidding, right
how do you expect some help without some substantive info.

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:46 pm

sam173 wrote: If i want to applie for the french nationality while living in england what will be the process.
You have to contact French embassy. The requirement was to be married to a French national for 1 year, which was changed to 2 years in 2003/4? (or at any time after the marriage if the couple have children). I don't know if it has been increased since then. And I am not sure, but I think I'd read that you needed to have some level of French language and be interviewed by french officials.
Do not live your life in fear.

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:54 pm

I have just checked and it's seems that since 2006 you have to be married for 5 years, if living abroad, and a competency in French language.
Since 26th November, 2003, a foreigner living in France, married to a French citizen for two years can acquire French citizenship by declaration, so long as they have resided in France for one year uninterrupted. If the couple is living outside of France, a three year waiting period is required. In addition to the many documents required to prove both the applicant's nationality and the spouse's French nationality, there is a requirement for competency in the French language.

The declaration of citizenship is made by the couple to the local court, or the French consulate if overseas. The declaration is accepted or rejected by decision of the Ministry of Justice.

The law was changed in August 2006 According to the current article 21-2 and you must now wait 5 years if living abroad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_nat ... y_marriage

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:59 pm

Wanderer wrote: I doubt it's possible to get ANY nationality without residency......
I think I read somewhere that it is also possible to apply for an Italian citizenship without residency - you needed 3 years of marriage to an italian citizen if living abroad, or 6 months if living in Italy.

davidm

Post by davidm » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:06 am

Wanderer wrote:
sam173 wrote: I doubt it's possible to get ANY nationality without residency......
There are some where you can naturalise without residency.
for example, if you are married to a Swedish born Swede for 10 years you can get naturalised as a Swedish without ever living in Sweden.