ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

£1K fine if traveling out of UK when awaiting UK passport?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lawabidingimmigrant

£1K fine if traveling out of UK when awaiting UK passport?

Post by lawabidingimmigrant » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:33 am

Hello,

Apologies in advance if similar query posted elsewhere on forum & already answered.

I've applied for British passport recently but have travel commitment to go to Ireland soon. Since it wasn't very likely to get the new British passport along with non-British passport and original Naturalization certificate back in the post before my travel, I've not returned BRP card yet.

I've kept BRP card with ILR status on it just in case if UK driving license isn't accepted at airport. I've traveled to Northern Ireland recently where driving license was sufficient during security check in. However, not quite sure about Ireland though, hence BRP is still with me.

Will I have to end up paying £1000? Shouldn't Home Office automatically invalidate BRP cards once British citizenship is granted and passport is issued without the need to send BRP to Home Office?

Thanks for viewing and appreciate your response on the query posted. Thank you.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: £1K fine if traveling out of UK when awaiting UK passpor

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:57 am

Northern Ireland is part of UK hence no need for a passport. The Republic isn't part of UK (not since 1922) so you will need a passport to fly. However (and my partner did this) you can travel over the border (there's no Guards anyway) under the CTA since you are British, passport not needed.

Same with the ferry from Holyhead.

Of course there's always a chance of a random spot check, but in my opinion you *should* be ok with your ID and Naturalisation Certificate.

Flying no, airlines are very risk averse and will deny you boarding, having said that despite the hoo-ha about the £1k fine and not travelling on technically expired BRP, people on here have done it and no-ones reported being 'caught'. So it's your call, personally I am very cautious about these things so I wouldn't risk it.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

saka0910
Newly Registered

Post by saka0910 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:56 am

In my opinion, BRP should NOT be used. HO has made it VERY clear that BRP MUST be returned. As Wanderer mentioned no one reported being caught for using BRP after naturalization but you never know when internally this rule is strictly enforced. If you wish to be the first one to report then you may us it! :twisted:

As Wanderer suggested, you can travel to Northern Ireland which is UK so DL is more than enough as ID proof. Then from Northern Ireland either hire a car or take a bus to Ireland (with Naturalization certificate as a proof that you are British). This would be the safest option plus nothing illegal in that as you are already British.

olgachilds
BANNED

Post by olgachilds » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:03 am

Ireland will be no problem, because it is in the Common Travel area.
You are not required to have a passport at all within CTA, if you are a British citizen, which you are.
Have you already got your naturalisation certificate back? You can take it as proof of BC and then use driving license as primary document.

Alternatively, the only checks between UK and Ireland, within CTA, are sort-of Gardai checks, they are not immigration checks as such -- so there you can actually use BRP, people just look at it to make sure you are not an illegal migrant, they do not process you for UK entry, or for that matter Ireland entry. So if you have a passport and BRP back, you can use them to show around.

I am not suggesting travelling overseas on a BRP after becoming BC, but Common Travel area is a different thing.

A fine they threaten us with is for not returning BRP within 5 days, not specifically using it for travel - so if you travel say within 3 days, I cant imagine they can fine you. But again, Ireland doesnt count.