ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advantages of having British passport compare to ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Advantages of having British passport compare to ILR

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:45 am

WR1 wrote:
but as a British citizen you can vote in general elections (and referendums :roll:)
You can vote in general elections and referendums as a ILR holder.
To vote in a UK general election a person must be registered to vote and also
18 or over
be a British citizen, a qualifying Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland
not be subject to any legal incapacity to vote
Additionally, the following cannot vote in a UK general election:
members of the House of Lords (although they can vote at elections to local authorities, devolved legislatures and the European Parliament)
EU citizens resident in the UK (although they can vote at elections to local authorities, devolved legislatures and the European Parliament)
anyone other than British, Irish and qualifying Commonwealth citizens
convicted persons detained in pursuance of their sentences (though remand prisoners, unconvicted prisoners and civil prisoners can vote if they are on the electoral register)
anyone found guilty within the previous five years of corrupt or illegal practices in connection with an election
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:00 pm

I'm not disputing the rules but my other half who is only a ILR holder and registered to vote was able to vote in both the election in May 2015 and the EU referendum. Received voting cards for both and voted in both :?
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:04 pm

WR1 wrote:I'm not disputing the rules but my other half who is only a ILR holder and registered to vote was able to vote in both the election in May 2015 and the EU referendum. Received voting cards for both and voted in both :?
Slipped through the net then. :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:10 pm

Casa wrote:
WR1 wrote:I'm not disputing the rules but my other half who is only a ILR holder and registered to vote was able to vote in both the election in May 2015 and the EU referendum. Received voting cards for both and voted in both :?
Possibly. In fact she was still on a spouse visa when we voted in the general election on 7 May 2015 as she didn't obtain ILR until 26 May 2015 (same day PEO). :mrgreen:
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:18 pm

WR1 wrote:
Casa wrote:
Possibly. In fact she was still on a spouse visa when we voted in the general election on 7 May 2015 as she didn't obtain ILR until 26 May 2015 (same day PEO). :mrgreen:
Not sure how she managed to register on the Electoral Register. :? Does this mean that the Brexit vote is void? :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:37 pm

I have voted in every election since I arrived in the UK on a T1G visa. I was a qualifying Commonwealth citizen.

Essentially any legally resident Commonwealth citizen who is not on a visit visa qualifies to be registered to vote. So a Commonwealth citizen student on a T4 visa can vote as can his Commonwealth citizen spouse on a T4 dependent visa.
Casa wrote:
WR1 wrote:Possibly. In fact she was still on a spouse visa when we voted in the general election on 7 May 2015 as she didn't obtain ILR until 26 May 2015 (same day PEO). :mrgreen:
Not sure how she managed to register on the Electoral Register. :? Does this mean that the Brexit vote is void? :wink:
No need to worry, Casa. That won't be grounds for rerunning the referendum.

Commonwealth citizens do need ILR/settled status to be either elected as MPs or appointed as members of the Lords. Indeed, till Gordon Brown's prime ministership, it was possible for a Commonwealth citizen on a limited visa to be elected an MP. The law was amended to require at least ILR/settled status for MPs and members of the House of Lords.

There is , to my knowledge, at least one member of the House of Lords who is a non-British Commonwealth citizen. Baroness Gardner of Parkes is an Australian citizen with Right of Abode (she had arrived in the UK in 1957).

There have not been any MPs who have been Commonwealth citizens without also holding British citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:05 pm

From what I can gather, WR1's wife isn't a Commonwealth citizen and isn't included on the list of qualifying voters.
(Casa, not CR001)

Mary937
United Kingdom

Post by Mary937 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:40 pm

Maybe silly question. Holders of ILR should go to which passport control at the airport please? British passports line or other passports line? Thanks.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:43 pm

Other passports as they're not British :|
(Casa, not CR001)

Mary937
United Kingdom

Post by Mary937 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:46 pm

And still the same procedures like answering the questions and fingerprints?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Mary937 wrote:And still the same procedures like answering the questions and fingerprints?
Yes. They don't take finger prints as standard procedure on arriving in the UK. Where did you hear that from?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Mary937
United Kingdom

Post by Mary937 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:00 pm

Hi CR001:-))

They always ask to put fingers and they check it against information in your ID card. It is a normal procedure all the time.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:12 pm

I have never had that, so have no idea about it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:17 pm

I still miss singing the national anthem at the end of a cinema screening.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:18 pm

CR001 wrote:I have never had that, so have no idea about it.
I think what the OP is referring the BRP fingerprint verification that's done every time you re-enter the UK. Those who've never had a Biometric permit wouldn't be familiar with this step as you just show your passport with visa vignette/ILR stamp in it when entering.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:43 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
I think what the OP is referring the BRP fingerprint verification that's done every time you re-enter the UK. Those who've never had a Biometric permit wouldn't be familiar with this step as you just show your passport with visa vignette/ILR stamp in it when entering.
I have entered the UK with a BRP card and never had my fingerprints taken. It must be something recent or fairly new then.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Mary937
United Kingdom

Post by Mary937 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:07 pm

And they will do the same on departures:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... print.html

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:09 pm

CR001 wrote:
cs95tdg wrote:
I have entered the UK with a BRP card and never had my fingerprints taken. It must be something recent or fairly new then.
That's interesting. It's been around at least since 2012, which is when I got my first BRP at the point of extending leave. Ever since I got a BRP, the thumb print scan has been a consistent standard step when re-entering. I assumed it applied to everyone who held one as part of the identity verification process.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:28 pm

cs95tdg wrote:I have entered the UK with a BRP card and never had my fingerprints taken. It must be something recent or fairly new then.
That's interesting. It's been around at least since 2012, which is when I got my first BRP at the point of extending leave. Ever since I got a BRP, the thumb print scan has been a consistent standard step when re-entering. I assumed it applied to everyone who held one as part of the identity verification process.[/quote]
I have had a BRP in 2010 spouse visa and again for ILR in 2012, never been asked for finger print, neither has my daughter who has travel more extensively than I have.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:41 pm

Mary937 wrote:And they will do the same on departures
I've never personally been been through a fingerprint check when leaving the UK, only when entering.
CR001 wrote:I have had a BRP in 2010 spouse visa and again for ILR in 2012, never been asked for finger print, neither has my daughter who has travel more extensively than I have.
It appears then that the process differs for individuals, criteria for the difference unknown at this point in time.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:47 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
Mary937 wrote:And they will do the same on departures
I've never personally been been through a fingerprint check when leaving the UK, only when entering.
CR001 wrote:I have had a BRP in 2010 spouse visa and again for ILR in 2012, never been asked for finger print, neither has my daughter who has travel more extensively than I have.
It appears then that the process differs for individuals, criteria for the difference unknown at this point in time.
My wife got pulled over and given ninth degree and bags searched and finger-printed - all because she smiled at IOs as she came into arrivals. (She was simply happy to be home or maybe they were bored/have a quota).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:55 pm

Maybe it has something to do with nationality/commonwealth cit etc. Who knows, with HO anything is possible or unpredictable :?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Yes, agree it could be anything. I've never particularly been bothered by it, as it was consistent on every entry. And it also seemed a logical thing to do, if you do have biometric permit to verify that the biometrics of the person entering matches what's on record.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:40 pm

cs95tdg wrote:That's interesting. It's been around at least since 2012, which is when I got my first BRP at the point of extending leave. Ever since I got a BRP, the thumb print scan has been a consistent standard step when re-entering. I assumed it applied to everyone who held one as part of the identity verification process.
Same here. I was consistently asked for my fingerprints on arrival in the UK. It never bothered me as, as cs95tdg mentioned, if they have them on record, it makes sense for the IO to use your fingerprints to authenticate you.
cs95tdg wrote:I've never personally been been through a fingerprint check when leaving the UK, only when entering.
I think exit checks only started last year. If you acquired BC before then, your biometrics likely would not be checked on exit.
noajthan wrote:I still miss singing the national anthem at the end of a cinema screening.
I come from a country where it is customary to stand when the national anthem is played, even on TV and I get strange glances from my born-in-the-UK flatmates (of all ethnicities) when I do that. Apparently, it is not the done thing here. Then again, the attitude towards the military and national loyalties (are you European, British, English, or a Yorkshireman) also differ from my country of origin.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:21 am

secret.simon wrote:
cs95tdg wrote:I've never personally been been through a fingerprint check when leaving the UK, only when entering.
I think exit checks only started last year. If you acquired BC before then, your biometrics likely would not be checked on exit.
Again another inconsistency then as I only acquired BC this year. Travelled in and out with by BRP last year without any exit checks. I do recall the press around the introduction of the checks. My travel was through air, not ground - so possibly the new exit checks were for those travelling by road/rail, as advance passenger details are captured as part of the information captured when booking flights - Not quite the same as biometric verification though.