ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof Of Previous Name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

longhorn

Proof Of Previous Name

Post by longhorn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi,

My wife is applying for her first British Passport. She's a naturalised citizen. She changed her Surname after she got married to me and made her first foreign passport after marriage which had my surname. All the foreign passports and UK Visas she has ever had, had her new Surname. The certificate of naturalisation also has her full previous name. Is this enough proof for change of name ? The passport guidance says that you should send at least one document from a list of documents which contains certificate of naturalisation as well. I thought it was OK as per the guidance but my wife just called the Passport helpline to figure this out and they are asking to send "Marriage Certificate" as well.

Could you please reply and confirm whether the certificate of naturalisation is enough proof for change of surname ?

Many Thanks

Hola2015

Re: Proof Of Previous Name

Post by Hola2015 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:56 pm

If she has been told to include marriage certificate, I think there is no harm to include this as part of her application. Your documents will definitely be returned to you

longhorn

Post by longhorn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:06 pm

Hola2015 wrote:If she has been told to include marriage certificate, I think there is no harm to include this as part of her application. Your documents will definitely be returned to you
She just asked this as a general question and they didn't ask for any personal details. I just wanted to know whats the official guideline on this as we don't currently have the marriage certificate with us at the moment.

Hola2015

Post by Hola2015 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:18 pm

longhorn wrote:
Hola2015 wrote:If she has been told to include marriage certificate, I think there is no harm to include this as part of her application. Your documents will definitely be returned to you
She just asked this as a general question and they didn't ask for any personal details. I just wanted to know whats the official guideline on this as we don't currently have the marriage certificate with us at the moment.
I have just had a look at the passport application guidance, the table on page 12 lists documents needed for first adult (naturalised citizen) as follows:

- 2 recent identical photos
- any other uncancelled passports relating to you
- certificate of registration/naturalisation

This is in addition to (a) change of name documents listed in Table c and (b) other requirements in table d as follows:

Table c:
NOTE: please provide at least one of the following for each change of name that has taken place
- marriage certificate/civil partinership certificate
- gender recognition certificate
- enrolled deed poll
-change of name deed signed in both your old and new name
- certificate of naturalisation
- statutory declaration or affidavit signed in your new name etc

Table d:
from a quick look, I do not think any of points listed under this table is applicable to your wife

Hope this clarifies things for you?

KatieWills
Wales

Post by KatieWills » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:20 pm

The naturalisation certificate should be sufficient according to the guidance. If they require further information they will contact you.
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

longhorn

Post by longhorn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:35 pm

@Hola2015 and @KatieWills

Thanks very much for your help and clarification.