ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

need recommendation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

solarflower
Newly Registered

need recommendation

Post by solarflower » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:06 pm

I would like to apply for a permanent residence certificate and then for a BC but my situation is a bit complicated and I will need legal advice on how to proceed. Has anyone had good experience with a particular law firm that is reasonably priced?
Thanks in advance

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: need recommendation

Post by Casa » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:09 pm

The Board Terms & Conditions do not permit the posting of professional recommendations.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:09 pm

Members are not permitted to name companies/solicitors.

Find an immigration adviser.
OISC

We offer very good, more often better, advice than a solicitor would provide and we offer it for free, if you wish to post here.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

solarflower
Newly Registered

Post by solarflower » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Ok, in that case why not? Thanks!

I'm an EU national, I have lived in the UK since 1999. Initially I was on my husband's visa (he had a training contract after finishing his degree) and was allowed to work since May 1999. In 2003 I became self employed based on the rule that citizens of countries waiting to join the EU in 2004 were allowed to set up their own businesses. My husband then became my dependant and got his visa based on being married to me. When my country joined the EU in 2004 I didn't change my status and I have worked being self employed ever since (13 years). I never applied for the Worker's Registration Scheme.

I would like to apply now for the permanent residence certificate and then the BC.

My situation is more complex because:

- I never applied for the WRS (I was never employed however in this whole time since 2003 and was always self-employed) - I know it's a very common reason why people get refused the BC

- last year and this year I had quite a few absences from the UK: in 2015 around 75 days and in 2016 around 132 days - not continuously, for family and personal reasons

- altogether I was absent 367 days over the last 5 years

- last 4 years I have had a job where I used to live in many different places in the UK. I had one correspondence address and a place I used to live in between contracts but I don't have many bills from that address - my mobile phone bill, my police check DBS (I work with vulnerable people) and my IR self assessment bills are all I really have from the last 5 years (in 4 years I haven't really paid any bills like CT or electricity as most of my work was contract work and I didn't pay the bill at my base

- I'm not sure if I should hire someone to make sure I do all the steps correctly and not get refused because I overlooked something quite small or tricky

It would be great to have some advice. Thanks.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:55 pm

No need for WRS nonsense if self-employed qualified person.

There are 2 sets of absence rules - 1 ruleset under EU law for acquiring PR DCPR.
Another completely unrelated ruleset for the privilege of naturalisation.

As you need DCPR in order to naturalise, worry about that one first.

Under EEA Regulations (& EU law) you may enjoy an absence of up to 6 months in any 12 month period without interrupting continuity of residence and stopping your PR clock.
At face value your absences look ok for complying with EU regulations.

To look ahead for absences when naturalising, see AN guide:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2016.pdf
- ref section 5, page 7 regarding absences

In terms of applying for DCPR you do ofcourse need rock-solid if not unimpeachable documentary supporting evidence.
All you can do is collate your evidence.
Try a few dryruns with the PR form.
See how it shapes up.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

solarflower
Newly Registered

Post by solarflower » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:41 pm

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it makes sense to worry about one thing at a time.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have a driving conviction, I mean I don't know if it can be called a conviction. I was stopped by police in 2008 for driving what they called 'faulty vehicle' - they decided that the tyre didn't have enough air in it. I got 3 points and about 200 fine for it. It was sent to me from the court or the council so I assume it is a driving offence. Would that be a big problem?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:23 pm

solarflower wrote:Thank you for your reply. Yes, it makes sense to worry about one thing at a time.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have a driving conviction, I mean I don't know if it can be called a conviction. I was stopped by police in 2008 for driving what they called 'faulty vehicle' - they decided that the tyre didn't have enough air in it. I got 3 points and about 200 fine for it. It was sent to me from the court or the council so I assume it is a driving offence. Would that be a big problem?
Its not an issue for DCPR.

For citizenship, naturally the caseworker will apply the good character test and check out your good character;
again read up on the linked guidance.

As long as you have learned your lesson and have had no subsequent convictions it should not be a showstopper.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.