ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Recommendations on solicitors? Fiance Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Davi
Newly Registered

Recommendations on solicitors? Fiance Visa

Post by Davi » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:57 pm

Hi again,

My Fiancée and I really aren't doing all that well with the stress of all this, it's affecting my health quite badly, even if it has made us stronger as a couple.

I'd really, really like to just sit down with a solicitor, show them what we've got and be told if there is anything missing, also to talk us through the process of what happens - she's applying from her home country, but as there is no UK Visa place in her country, she has to visit another country for part of it, and hand over her passport, but obviously that means she won't be able to then go back to her country until the decision is made and so on and so forth if we are understanding correctly which could be 2 months?! We've been told catagorically that she'll have to have a TB test as the place she has to go to apply is on the list, even though her home country isn't on the list, and she's actually been in the UK for a year anyway (which according to the gov website means she shouldn't need one...)

KatieWills
Wales

Re: Recommendations on solicitors? Fiance Visa

Post by KatieWills » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:17 pm

If Guyana is her home country then it is on the list for TB test requirement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -in-guyana

It is a stressful process, but you have had excellent advice so far here. I would suggest you have a look for an OISC level 3 regulated advisor in your area if you feel you need that extra bit of support :)

http://home.oisc.gov.uk/adviser_finder/finder.aspx

Good luck!
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

KatieWills
Wales

Post by KatieWills » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:20 pm

Also, still assuming your partner is from Guyana, there does seem to be a Visa Application Centre there:

http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/guyana/appli ... tre.html#1

Davi
Newly Registered

Post by Davi » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:28 pm

She's not from Guyana Katie, just going there, but thank you for the reply. We have had some amazing advice on here, without it we would probably be in the loony bin by now, I've just lost all confidence that I can be sure I'm on track by myslef.

I've been through the OISC list for our area, only one of the ones in a 25 mile radius bothered getting back to me, and they were shady as... a very shady thing. I contacted another in London, paid £150 for some advice which pretty much turned out to be a few lines off the .gov website, followed by "pay us 10 times that and we'll help, only we won't tell you how we will help till you've paid".

Absolutely doing my head in :(

KatieWills
Wales

Post by KatieWills » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:54 pm

I feel your pain, my hubby is in NZ and we are almost ready to apply for his spouse visa. He overstayed, was detained and paid his way back to NZ, so we initially contacted an advisor, paid £100 to be told stuff we already knew and are now doing the application ourselves. It would have cost another £700+ for the "full service" -basically just a document check and form filling..So we've been reading up and asking questions here and feeling pretty confident that we can do it.

I'm pretty sure you and your fiancée can manage this application, but totally understand how overwhelming it is. In a nutshell all you have to do is follow a checklist (I created a spreadsheet and put all the relevant info in one place) and fill some forms in. I appreciate your fiancée has a slight hurdle in having to apply from a different country, but is there any way you could travel with her for the application?

A document check could easily be done for free and by experts on here, just post a list of what you have.

Also me and hubby printed the VAF4A and App2 forms off and filled them in together for practice.

Davi
Newly Registered

Post by Davi » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:09 pm

Thanks Katie. I'll do that first thing in the morning - post a list of exactly what we have. I'll also get the forms downloaded and looked at! Sadly I can't travel at the moment, I have some legal stuff to sort here and health isn't great either, going to try and make sure she is accompanied.

KatieWills
Wales

Post by KatieWills » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:36 pm

Excellent! See, there is some wood through them there trees. :D