ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What differences between Perm Residence / ILR / Citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jozefx434
Newly Registered

What differences between Perm Residence / ILR / Citizenship?

Post by jozefx434 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:01 am

What are the differences and benefits between having the following?

- Permanent residency card
- Indefinite Leave to Remain
- British citizenship / Naturalisation / Registration as a British Citizen
- British passport

Extra questions:

1) A term 'settling in the UK' is used frequently, does it indicate anything that the above doesn't cover?

2) If I choose to go live abraod or travel for extended periods of time does permanent residency card provide me with an option to return and live in the UK no matter what the political situation for the rest of my life?

3) Permanent residency card as an expiry date, what does the process of renewing it look like? If I were not to live in the UK, would I be able to renew it, just to have an option to come back to the UK in the future?

4) If I have a permanent residency card, and live abroad / travel for long time, will I loose an option to apply for ILR / british citizenship / british passport? Will it reset my counter of 5 years?

5) When I apply for a PR card / ILR / citizenship / passport do I need to stay in the UK - or am I not allowed to go over the 90 days limit of being abroad? (Given I have been returned my passport or have my EU country ID that allows me to travel?

6) Do I need to be employed in order to get ILR, citizenship or passport? Can I apply on a base of supporting myself from passive income? (investments and/or rental properties)

jozefx434
Newly Registered

Re: What differences between Perm Residence / ILR / Citizens

Post by jozefx434 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:35 pm

Another question

7) Do I need to hold permanent residency card for 12 months before being able to apply for indefinite leave to remain / citizenship / neutralisation?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:39 pm

jozefx434 wrote:What are the differences and benefits between having the following?

- Indefinite Leave to Remain
- British citizenship / Naturalisation / Registration as a British Citizen
- British passport

Extra questions:

1) A term 'settling in the UK' is used frequently, does it indicate anything that the above doesn't cover?

2) If I choose to go live abraod or travel for extended periods of time does permanent residency card provide me with an option to return and live in the UK no matter what the political situation for the rest of my life?

3) Permanent residency card as an expiry date, what does the process of renewing it look like? If I were not to live in the UK, would I be able to renew it, just to have an option to come back to the UK in the future?

4) If I have a permanent residency card, and live abroad / travel for long time, will I loose an option to apply for ILR / british citizenship / british passport? Will it reset my counter of 5 years?

5) When I apply for a PR card / ILR / citizenship / passport do I need to stay in the UK - or am I not allowed to go over the 90 days limit of being abroad? (Given I have been returned my passport or have my EU country ID that allows me to travel?

6) Do I need to be employed in order to get ILR, citizenship or passport? Can I apply on a base of supporting myself from passive income? (investments and/or rental properties)
You need to do some of the heavy lifting and google the basics of those terms to start with.

PR - settled status for those on EU migration route; under EAA Regulations (& EU law).

ILR - settled status for those on UK immigration route; UK Immigration Regulations apply.

1) Depends on context.

2) ILR & PR time out after 2 years absence (from UK).

3) See #2

4) Possibly. See #2
There is no 'counter' once PR is acquired.

5) Don't understand question. UK is not a prison. You can travel.

6) You need to research the basics.
Economic activity is not mandatory for any of those things.

7) PR and ILR are mutually exclusive so your question doesn't make complete sense.

You really don't want to be 'neutralised'.

Naturalisation and privilege of citizenship is another matter.
It all depends under which section of BNA you can apply: 6(1) or 6(2). Have you checked the guidance?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:49 pm

jozefx434 wrote:What are the differences and benefits between having the following?

PR Card qualifications. But once acquired the same as...
jozefx434 wrote:- Indefinite Leave to Remain
Indefinite Leave to Remain
jozefx434 wrote:- British citizenship / Naturalisation / Registration as a British Citizen
British Citizenship
jozefx434 wrote:- British passport
A document issued by a United Kingdom that identifies the holder of the passport. Often this document will also state the person's relationship to the issuing nation (such as citizen, national, subject, etc...). It is basically that government (the UK with respect to your question) vouching for the identity of the passport holder. Note: For many countries, including the UK, a passport does not mean that the person holding it is a citizen. Their status will usually be designated in the passport.

jozefx434
Newly Registered

Post by jozefx434 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:55 pm

7)

Thank you, now I understand that PR card / ILR are mutually exclusive (I am an EEA national).

Therefore If I want to be neutralised as a british citizen do I need to wait 12 months from obtaining my permanent residency card as stated below?

"...had permanent residence status for the last 12 months if you’re a citizen of an EEA country - you need to provide a permanent residence document"
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... -can-apply

Or do I obtain permanent residency automatically after 5 years of living in the UK (I have been for over 11), and the PR card is only a certificate to prove it, and technically/practically I have had permanent residence status for 12 months already?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:02 pm

To neutralise = do in, knock off, liquidate, neutralize, waste
To naturalise = admit (a foreigner) to the citizenship of a country. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:03 pm

jozefx434 wrote:7)

Thank you, now I understand that PR card / ILR are mutually exclusive (I am an EEA national).

Therefore If I want to be neutralised as a british citizen do I need to wait 12 months from obtaining my permanent residency card as stated below?

"...had permanent residence status for the last 12 months if you’re a citizen of an EEA country - you need to provide a permanent residence document"
https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... -can-apply

Or do I obtain permanent residency automatically after 5 years of living in the UK (I have been for over 11), and the PR card is only a certificate to prove it, and technically/practically I have had permanent residence status for 12 months already?

Are you applying as spouse or in own right? 6(1) or 6(2) of BNA?

Yes, DCPR is purely confirmatory. It is PR status that is required for 12 months (not holding of DCPR).

jozefx434
Newly Registered

Post by jozefx434 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:17 pm

Thank you for all the responses, it is much clearer to me now, the thing is that I would like to take a 'gap year' and go travelling around the world, and wonder whether this will reset my 5 year (6 with PR status) 'counter' towards naturalising as a British citizen, which I would like to become given brexit, have my own house and most of my family here.

Is there a way to go travelling for extended periods of time and have my last 11 years count towards the application, or should I postpone my travels after I get my PR card and send of my citizenship / naturalising as a British citizen application?

I have been living in the UK for 10 years as an EEA citizen and want to apply on my own.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:22 pm

Postpone your travels and wait until you have been granted BC, attended your citizenship ceremony and have been issued with a British passport.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

jozefx434
Newly Registered

Post by jozefx434 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:26 pm

Postpone your travels and wait until you have been granted BC, attended your citizenship ceremony and have been issued with a British passport.
Would there be any problem with me setting off for my travels after I have submitted the British Citizenship application? I could always have a short break from the travels to come back to the UK for the ceremony and to apply for a British passport, or am I missing something?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:28 pm

Casa wrote:Postpone your travels and wait until you have been granted BC, attended your citizenship ceremony and have been issued with a British passport.
+1

You wouldn't want to upset the apple cart at this stage of the game especially with all this talk and uncertainty around Brexit.

As long as biometrics have been deposited and someone is handling your mail (in case of HO followup and queries) you could travel before ceremony. But suggest get DCPR in the bag first.